Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
csimon
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Acadiana
Posts: 99
Default MP-05 & MP-1 @ Dtek

Can anyone tell me anything about the new MP-05 cpu and MP-1 gpu blocks from Dtek?
They look to be really decent ...I'm considering getting some pending reviews and performance comparisons.

thanks
csimon

Last edited by csimon; 09-19-2005 at 08:41 PM.
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Cathar
Thermophile
 
Cathar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimon
To me the cpu block looks like it comes from stew but I guess could let me know if he had anything to do with it.
Definitely no direct involvement from me in either of the blocks. I moved away from mini-channelled/pinned approaches over 2 years ago, although I do have an interesting combination channel/pin design that I drew up 18 months ago and I have yet to see it be done by anyone else. The DTek blocks are not it though.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
csimon
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Acadiana
Posts: 99
Default

Thanks for that info cathar ...how can I get prices on the G5, G6 and/or G7 in the states or is that a bit premature? And while I have your attention ...LOL ...how will the PA120's perform in comparison to the PA160?
Looks to me that the MP-05 is in the 37 jet bore range but I could be mistaken cause the pic gets blurred when I enlarge it.

Oh yeah I rescended the comment about you having something to do with it once I took a closer look at the desgin. It looks similar to your designs somewhat I suppose.

Last edited by csimon; 09-19-2005 at 08:57 PM.
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
csimon
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Acadiana
Posts: 99
Default

I just realized that those must be aquax blocks.
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
Cathar
Thermophile
 
Cathar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,538
Default

Happy to answer your above questions, but not in order to hijack this thread.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...d.php?p=146350
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...3&page=1&pp=25
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 12:13 AM   #7
csimon
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Acadiana
Posts: 99
Default

thanks for the links jaydee ...I'll read the both threads.
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 11:36 PM   #8
csimon
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Acadiana
Posts: 99
Default

I've read the threads and I must say that you put a lot of effort into your work ...much more that I can imagine right now especially with the testing.
So what would I have to do to get a design from the drawing board to be tested? Is it something I should consider seeking a patent for first or is it not worth the trouble?
I think you both have excellent theories and talents on this subject and I like the practical way of thinking.

I have a questions for each of you concerning the base plate.
Cathar: After looking at the G7 piccies do I understand correctly that your base is simply flat or am I missing something? If so why?
Jaydee: What's the status on the pyramidal base ...did you put it aside for later or is it completely a wash as being too impractical? Also, does the pyramid array work concaved as well as convexed?

Should I start another thread in the block part of the forum since I seem to have hijacked my own?

Sorry for all of the questions guys but I'd like to pursue my design somehow. Any advice and I'll be greateful.

Thanks
csimon
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Attached is a pic of my last prototype I made in 2002. I have been discussing the concept with a manufacture that is also interested in the concept and he will probably beat me to a finished product.

It isn't impractical at all. In fact if the tooling I have in mind can be made it could be one of the best ways to go as far as production/performance/cost ratio.

I have not done any real work on the design since 2002 so not much to discuss right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (51.5 KB, 42 views)
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 12:12 AM   #10
csimon
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Acadiana
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Attached is a pic of my last prototype I made in 2002. I have been discussing the concept with a manufacture that is also interested in the concept and he will probably beat me to a finished product.

It isn't impractical at all. In fact if the tooling I have in mind can be made it could be one of the best ways to go as far as production/performance/cost ratio.

I have not done any real work on the design since 2002 so not much to discuss right now.
Have you experimented at all with the opposite of that design ...like a concaved pyramid? I'm not sure how malleable copper is but it seems it would be efficient to stamp once rather than tool over and over for production. Just a thought.
Also ...is delrin a plastic at all or is it more of an alloy? The little I've seen on it isn't very clear. I was thinking in lines of a 3d printer for precision shapes ...the resolution has come way up in the past year.
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 12:21 AM   #11
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimon
Have you experimented at all with the opposite of that design ...like a concaved pyramid? I'm not sure how malleable copper is but it seems it would be efficient to stamp once rather than tool over and over for production. Just a thought.
Also ...is delrin a plastic at all or is it more of an alloy? The little I've seen on it isn't very clear. I was thinking in lines of a 3d printer for precision shapes ...the resolution has come way up in the past year.
I can't see stamping pyramids into the base working at all unless you do it Cathar style like the Storm with drilled cups and a pyramid pin in the middle instead of a round one. I just invision water getting trapped in the pyramid shaped cups and having to boil to get out. Cathar has the best design I think as far as cups in the base.

Delrin is a plastic. Comes in black and white mainly. I have seen grey on e-bay.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 12:35 AM   #12
csimon
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Acadiana
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
I can't see stamping pyramids into the base working at all unless you do it Cathar style like the Storm with drilled cups and a pyramid pin in the middle instead of a round one. I just invision water getting trapped in the pyramid shaped cups and having to boil to get out. Cathar has the best design I think as far as cups in the base.

Delrin is a plastic. Comes in black and white mainly. I have seen grey on e-bay.
Yes I can see the problem with the cavity ...perhaps if the part to be stamped were embossed first and then stamped to where the trenches would flow flush with the bottom level rather than below ...perhaps the stamp could be done before the cut outs to insure integrity of the alloy otherwise it would probably just mash on the ends and get messy.

But stampig shapes was just something too easy to pass up ...I'll have to try or at least sketch it to give a better idea of how I think it could work.

Have you done any work with a 3d printer?
I have a friend who would love to sell me one and he does owe me a prototype of anything I wish ...within reason of course.
I wonder if cathar has considered it for the G-8 nozzle?
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #13
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Cold forging might have some use. Problem with that and stamping is the base will have to be lapped significantly.

The mills Cathars machinist uses can do anything a 3D printer can do and more.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #14
csimon
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Acadiana
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Cold forging might have some use. Problem with that and stamping is the base will have to be lapped significantly.

The mills Cathars machinist uses can do anything a 3D printer can do and more.
Maybe casting as well ...idunno I wish I were more familiar with the processes available.

If I were to produce a jet type nozzle what diameter pattern you like to see? I read were cathar mentioned dime size but I'm not even sure that Aussie dimes are equal in diameter to US dimes. I measured a US dime at roughly 3/4".
How many holes and what material thickness?
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 12:30 AM   #15
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimon
Maybe casting as well ...idunno I wish I were more familiar with the processes available.

If I were to produce a jet type nozzle what diameter pattern you like to see? I read were cathar mentioned dime size but I'm not even sure that Aussie dimes are equal in diameter to US dimes. I measured a US dime at roughly 3/4".
How many holes and what material thickness?
Casting is no good, at least all the versions I have seen. Copper is just hard to cast well.

Jet/nozzle? Depends on the design of the block really. There are a couple ways of going about it. Cathars designs, IMO anyway, seem to be a complete design. In other words every part of the block (top, jet array, base) is designed specifically for the block. The other way to go about it is like Bruce with the MP-05. Make a base and then create the jet arrays and nozzles to work with the block.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 11:31 PM   #16
csimon
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Acadiana
Posts: 99
Default

bah ...will have to put my project aside til Rita blows over ...but I'll be in touch soon.
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2005 ProCooling.com
If we in some way offend you, insult you or your people, screw your mom, beat up your dad, or poop on your porch... we're sorry... we were probably really drunk...
Oh and dont steal our content bitches! Don't give us a reason to pee in your open car window this summer...