Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 04-22-2003, 12:11 AM   #1
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

Default fan controlers

i have a fan thats still a bit noisy with 7 volt.

with 5 it wont spin up.

is there a way to build a fan controler that instead ov voltage, it controls the rpm? would it be hard?

my idea is: build a circuit that sends impulses of 12 volts, so that it starts up, but never reaches high speeds, because they are only impulses.
satanicoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2003, 03:09 AM   #2
Khledar
Cooling Savant

If you're going to build a circuit why not just build one that gives you about 6V ? Worried that's still too much?

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2003, 10:25 AM   #3
BrianW
Cooling Savant

You will have to look, but there is already a circuit that does that. I believe some of the LCD's that have fan controllers have em. I'll look around when I get home from work.

You could always go with a Rheobus (I think they go as low as 5 volts, not sure though)

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2003, 03:23 AM   #4
redleader
Thermophile

SVC sells some nice ones. I bought the Zalman baybus, but I'd probably get the Vantec instead.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:10 AM   #5
punish3r
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
my idea is: build a circuit that sends impulses of 12 volts, so that it starts up, but never reaches high speeds, because they are only impulses.
You're talking about a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controller. Hell, I've built a PWM out of a LM339 and a few discrete components I had in my "Misc." box before. Wasn't able to provide much power, but it worked for what I needed it for. Now, if you're looking for something to sink a bit more power (like 3-12A@12VDC) for a larger fan, or group of fans, UTFSE and search for G. Forrest Cook. He did a decent 12/24VDC PWM for Home Power Magazine a couple of years ago, and I'm sure someone has the schematic online by now.

Update:
Found the article here enjoy
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by punish3r; 05-10-2003 at 06:19 AM.
punish3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 07:22 AM   #6
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

its true that fans often wont start up on 5 volts, but once they are started they will run on 5 volts. start em on 12, then dail them down to 5.

also, procooling just posted a preview of a PWM fan controller that you can read here if you havent already.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 08:21 AM   #7
Aardil
Cooling Savant

In referance to my PWM controller, that was the problem we found with the first proto type, it wouldnt start several models of fans. This was fixed in the final prototype and in in the production model. The problem was not all fans like PWM stutter voltage some took over 9 volts to get them going then you could throttle them back to around 5 volts. My circuit buffers the PWM spikes so that the signal is alot smoother and the fans will start at lower voltage without the normal PWM stutter.
Just food for thought
Aardil
Aardil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #8
Celestial_fury
Cooling Neophyte

I bought this:

I got it from www.coolputer.fi/
under the modding section there are 4 items called 'Speedlimit' for 2 or 4 fans. The Speedlimit 4 (LOPPU) is a kit with all components and a PCB for you to solder together (thats the one I bought). The non-LOPPU version is pre-built and costs twice as much.
They do world wide shipping.
What I like about it is that on Booting the pc, the fans run on full voltage for a couple of seconds, then throttle back to whatever setting you have on the Pots. You can also fine-tune the pots so that they wont dial down below a minimum voltage.
I currently run the following config:

POT 1: CPU Fan Coolermaster HHC-001 - 7000RPM Max (rpm monitoring still attatched to MOBO)
POT 2: 120mm fan on side panel
POT 3: 2X 80mm intake fans
POT 4: 2x 80mm outtake fans

FuRy
Celestial_fury is offline   Reply With Quote