Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 12-04-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
bullfrog
Cooling Neophyte

Default waterblock design needed

Ok I have a fairly limited choice of copper that i can get hold of. I can get a bar of 50mmx50mmx200mm or I can get a sheet about 5mm thick. I have already made a block with a piece cut from the bar, but found that I don't have enough space for the channels and an o-ring. I am also not very happy with the block as it is now.

Can you guys give me some tips of making a block with the sheet of 5mm thick copper. Some designs, anything that will be helpfull is welcome.

Available tools:
Drill press
dremel

I was also wondering, do i have to make a channle for the o-ring? Does the channel have to be very even at the bottom. I am also using a custom o-ring that has been glued, will that o-ring be leak free?
bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

5mm is thin. What I would do is get some thick copper wire and cut some pins out of it and solder them onto the plate. Then cut some copper side walls and then a copper top and solder it all together. Good luck.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2004, 02:54 AM   #3
bullfrog
Cooling Neophyte

Isn't there some other designs I could just drill out of the 5mm plate, being very carefull not to go through. The reason I don't really wan't to solder is because lead has a very bad thermal properties and that would decrease performance.

What is the best thickness for the copper to make a waterblock?
bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote