Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 04-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
krille
Cooling Neophyte

Default Iwaki RD-20 or RD-30 for SILENT water-cooling?

Hey! As you've heard, there's this buy going on over at XS. And I'm thinking of purchasing either an Iwaki RD-20 or RD-30. However, my main concern is noise. I need everything to be really silent and quiet (that's why I'm going WC). So what pump would be the better choice for silence, RD-20 or RD-30? (Feel free to undervolt both etc.) Or should I be looking at another pump altogether?

This will (probably) be the loop: Restrictive (impignent) CPU block, 2xGPU block (Maze4?), PA120.3. Maybe something else. Thanks!
~ Kris
krille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Iwaki RD-20 or RD-30 for SILENT water-cooling?

If you're looking for really low noise, neither of these pumps is the answer - instead target a lower powered pump with less restrictive waterblocks (Swiftech 6000 series used to be my favorite for this, dunno about their new one).
If you want to lower your temps to match what an impingement block can do, instead focus on a larger radiator (or radiators). If you get the coolant temp down closer to ambient, you don't need to have as low a c/w block and can still have good die temps.
If you're not overclocking, it doesn't really matter, so long as you keep everything withing spec'ed operating temps.
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
krille
Cooling Neophyte

None knows which is more silent of the two (when they're both undervolted to give the same performance)?
Unread 04-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

How do you plan to undervolt these AC pumps?
If you're going for silence you won't have fans @ 12v so performance is a compromise anyway.
I love the MCP350: small, silent, powerful but also recommend the smaller Eheim 1048...
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
Otter
Cooling Neophyte

Try two 10W MCP-350/DDC's in series with the his inlet mod if you really want a lot of silent pump. http://systemcooling.com/mcp350_mod-01.html

Beware the 18W DDC-Plus, though, as we haven't seen accoustic specs on it or even a breif review from someone who has a silent system.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
krille
Cooling Neophyte

Well.. I ended up buying one of each (one RD-20 and one RD-30). So I'll decide myself whatever fits my purposes the best.
Unread 04-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Dome
Cooling Neophyte

The RD-20 will be better suited for you since it still supplies plenty of head pressure but dumps far less heat into the loop.
X2 3800+ MP-05 Pro LE | DFI nF4 SLi-DR | 7900GT | Maze 4 | 4x512 TCCD (Brainpower) | SB Audigy 2ZS | BIP2 + BIX (YL's) | NeoPower 480 | 7200.8 250G (suse 10) | 80G WD (xp pro) | Aqua Twinplex Pro Sli Type 1
Dome is offline   Reply With Quote