Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-16-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Default Talk about choking the inlet!

I am removing this as now other idiot forums are linking to this... people suck sometimes.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums

Last edited by nikhsub1; 07-18-2004 at 05:55 PM.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
greenman100
Cooling Savant

ignorant or uneducated...?

that is the question
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1
Not to mention plumbing the WW backwards...
Wow (!)
He's got one pump outlet pushing water in each WW outlet, exiting from the inlet and splitting off to...??
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

I think I just found BillA's and pHastues' successor

Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
aNonForums
Unread 07-16-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
greenman100
Cooling Savant

really bothers me when people don't even read the instructions

much less try to even read about the theory of what they just spent (too much) cash on

got myself in trouble a few times at OCers for being too vocal

looking forward to learning a lot here, and in my future classes (working on a masters in mechanical engineering at the University of Florida)

nikhsub1, if that post was for me, I look up to you guys, but am ready to learn on my own, too
Unread 07-16-2004, 06:53 PM   #6
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

What a waste
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #7
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman100
nikhsub1, if that post was for me, I look up to you guys, but am ready to learn on my own, too
No green, that was not directed at you, I was being facetious and referring to the person's post I linked to.

aNonForums
Unread 07-16-2004, 07:44 PM   #8
greenman100
Cooling Savant

Quote:
No green, that was not directed at you, I was being facetious and referring to the person's post I linked to.

haha I had a feeling

did you set up the pump and resistor yet?
Unread 07-16-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
infinity9
Cooling Neophyte

wow thats amazing. honestly i bet hes getting worse temps than properly setup with one pump and one hc. sad part is if it just bought a new case and setup the system better in the first place he would have probably gotten the temps he wanted.
infinity9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #10
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
haha I had a feeling

did you set up the pump and resistor yet?
No... awaiting all my parts; case (on the way), rad (on the way) fans (undecided but THESE Sanyo Denki's are looking sweet for the rad. I also have two 12v pumps coming... not sure if I am going to use the MD-30 or 2x D4's. I like the fact that i can have the D4's on a fan controller and turn them down. I still have a lot of prep work yet.

aNonForums
Unread 07-16-2004, 09:03 PM   #11
raist679
Cooling Neophyte

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen . Until now I thought I was a stupid noob to watercooling.
1Gb Mushkin PC4000
Radeon X800XT
raist679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 09:24 PM   #12
greenman100
Cooling Savant

Quote:
No... awaiting all my parts; case (on the way), rad (on the way) fans (undecided but THESE Sanyo Denki's are looking sweet for the rad. I also have two 12v pumps coming... not sure if I am going to use the MD-30 or 2x D4's. I like the fact that i can have the D4's on a fan controller and turn them down. I still have a lot of prep work yet.
why not a blower?

I like the D4s too, myself.

Good luck, whatever you do, glad you have the wallet for the big buck parts...I have a tough time justifying 1xD4, as a college kid
Unread 07-16-2004, 10:24 PM   #13
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
why not a blower?

I like the D4s too, myself.

Good luck, whatever you do, glad you have the wallet for the big buck parts...I have a tough time justifying 1xD4, as a college kid
blower doesn't fit with the plan... computer gear is one of the few things i spend my money on, and not that often or that much... but i am not in college either.

aNonForums
Unread 07-16-2004, 10:55 PM   #14
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...88#post2926188

Not to mention plumbing the WW backwards...
If I had my way around here anyone that posts a link to a OC'ers thread would be instantly banned for life.

On a less touchy note the guy is not exactly a "newb" either. He has plenty of stars in his profile to show he made many posts and spent a lot of time on that site yet that is the quality he puts out. This is one of the reasons I refuse to post anymore there. Not to mention the mods have their heads well up their ass's.

Anyway, carry on...
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 01:35 AM   #15
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Quote:
If I had my way around here anyone that posts a link to a OC'ers thread would be instantly banned for life.
Some knowledgable people on that forum and some insightful comments. Of course no one ever goes out of their way to share such threads. It is a shame to see that deep deep pockets don't yield passable results though eh?
Unread 07-17-2004, 08:17 AM   #16
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
... posts a link to a OC'ers thread
Like with auto accidents, there's a morbid fascination with systems that are as wrongly set up as the one in the thread linked.
My first take, on having seen the first image but not having read any of the text was that it was a joke.

I now realize that, for it to have been a joke, the two swiftech pumps starving each other for inlet water needed to be in a reservoir.

When I got to reading the text, I realized it wasn't a joke, but a request for help - and the very first reply was
Quote:
you might as well get a larger case and use 2 single pass cores
That forum gives people stars for making posts, right? Even like that one?

Speaking of accidents, I was coming home from work the other day. There's a short section of 3 lane divided highway I have to drive. There was a SUV on its side in the leftmost (high speed) lane - still moving slightly as I got there. There was plenty of traffic, but nobody was stopping (accident had just happened). As I was on a bike I zipped in "behind" the SUV and went to render whatever aid I could. The occupants actually looked OK through the windshield. It's hard climbing up the underside (now vertical) of an SUV - those suckers are big. I got a door open and - they were fine - and when I stood up and looked around, there was a good sized ring of onlookers who were just, well... looking. I guess that's what we were doing with the OC'ers thread above...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 11:14 AM   #17
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Some knowledgable people on that forum and some insightful comments. Of course no one ever goes out of their way to share such threads. It is a shame to see that deep deep pockets don't yield passable results though eh?
The problem is the mods keep anyone from setting anyone strait. You say anything even remotely blunt (which is sometimes very necassary) and your threatened to be banned and your post edited. Newbs have taken over that site and the knowledgeable have to sit back and watch it deteriorate into one of the biggest forums of BS spreading on the net. It is unfortunate as well being they have some of the greatest article ever on the main page. Guess no one likes to read there...

And yes, I hope he has deep pockets because if he pissed away his life saving on that mess..... Well nevermind...
Unread 07-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #18
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
there was a good sized ring of onlookers who were just, well... looking. I guess that's what we were doing with the OC'ers thread above...
As I said to pH, you have to be an onlooker there. If reality was like OC'ers you would have been arrested and sentanced to death for trying to help in a usefull way.

Last edited by jaydee116; 07-17-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Unread 07-17-2004, 11:29 AM   #19
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

IMO OC has a very warped veiw on how to best run a forum. It used to be a great forum but nowerdays its just noobs posting there stupid questions and dumb mistakes (see above )

The stars relly mean nothing. Some people join the forum and manage to clock up more posts in a month than i do in a year.

The weird thing is that guy has been hanging around the w/c section of OC for months planning this thing but as soon as he gets the bits he ignores all our advice and puts it together like that! Makes me wonder why i bother!

Foldings good tho hehe

'Liquified'
SlaterSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 11:37 AM   #20
Tempus
Cooling Savant

look on the bright side, with all their "help" he'll just get upset and sell everything on ebay for cheap...

ok, so its not much of a bright side but maybe someone somewhere will buy it all and put it to good use.
Unread 07-17-2004, 01:54 PM   #21
greenman100
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
The problem is the mods keep anyone from setting anyone strait. You say anything even remotely blunt (which is sometimes very necassary) and your threatened to be banned and your post edited. Newbs have taken over that site and the knowledgeable have to sit back and watch it deteriorate into one of the biggest forums of BS spreading on the net. It is unfortunate as well being they have some of the greatest article ever on the main page. Guess no one likes to read there...

And yes, I hope he has deep pockets because if he pissed away his life saving on that mess..... Well nevermind...

mind if I put part of that into my sig at OCers?
Unread 07-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #22
IMOG
Cooling Neophyte

Default What everyone is failing to realize

OCF is one of the LARGEST tech forums on the intarweb, and the level of posting activity is accordingly huge. With that many members and that much activity, there are going to be posts of all types, and there are going to be people of all types. It boggles my mind, how Audiman could be ANYWHERE for a couple years and have the amount of posts he has, but muck up a cooling setup that bad.... But like I said, we get people of all types.

With only 7,000 members, I commend you guys because you have a reputation of being a great resource, largely thanks to the work of phaestus. You also need to understand though, that with such a small memberbase, it is easy to make sure everyone gets all the information they need. At OCF, it is a serious challenge to keep up with the level of activity and make sure some errant n00bs don't slip by.

A lot of the n00bs start out in the cooling forums. I used to frequent them all the time in the first year of my OC membership, and I can't tell you how many times I posted correcting mistakes and making really contributional posts for people who were obviously fairly lost. Over time there, I naturally branched out and now I never enter any forums directly, I only use the view new posts function and search to find new thread topics to post in.

To point a finger at the moderators at OCF as though it is their fault is ridiculous and seriously unfair for the work they have on their shoulders there. You know where the fault lies?

It's the fault of posting in the way which Greenman100, squeakygeek, and thorilan have posted. "REad and search". And that is all they offer. And its not just them, there are others also. How does this improve the level of knowledge around the forum? Very slowly, if at all.

Like pHaestus recognized, there are a lot of knowledgeable people and information within OCF, and we need more people willing to dig that information up and share it.

Instead of lazy b@st@rds telling people to search for their answers, we need knowledgeable, friendly, helpful people who will take the 30 seconds to pull a quote and a link to the information that is needed - everything you need to know is right there, and those of us who have been around know how to find it already, unlike the n00bs. All that needs to be done is connecting the people with the information, but some people are too lazy to help. pHaestus just said this himself greenman, and I just told you the same through PM - what is stopping you from taking this advice from those of us who have been around the block for a while?

As a senior member there, I would also like to make it clear that people are not threatened to be banned without due course. No one has ever been banned without atleast going through the process of multiple initial warnings, then a 3day ban, then a perma-ban if the problems continue - and the process usually is more like 10 or more warnings throughout that progression. Bluntly stating something is no grounds for banning and no one has ever been banned for such. The only members who get banned show a blatant disregard for the rules.

We are a G rated forum though, so your definition of blunt may be different than my own, but bluntly saying something is no grounds for banning. Bluntly being an ass will make you show up on the mod-radar pretty quickly though. Bonking people on the head and saying "search stupid" is not going to help many people though... Not everyone is a forum fly who just sits around and reads everything, with a memberbase as large as ours, we get a lot of people just passing through and who want quick answers to their problems. A simple link and quote would help them and take only a minute, but we have some knowledgeable members who are unwilling to offer as much.

They'd rather bluntly say "Read, Search, then post", than be an active positive contributor to the forum. This sort of attitude is the problem I see at the cooling forums at OCF.

I apologize if any point I make comes across rudely, but seeing knowledgable members of our forums just complain about the problem and do nothing to help, then point fingers at it being the fault of our few members who act as moderators just doesn't sit right with me.

Does what I say not make sense?

EDIT: It has come to my attention that members like Greenman believe that they are "teaching members" by "helping" in the way which they post. In all fairness, I thought I would share that in light of what I said about that sort of posting above. If they want to teach, should they not be encourageing?

I do not see kids learning arithmetic from teachers who say "read the book stupid", it is all there. If we are to teach members, we must offer helpful guidance in getting to the knowledge. If all we needed was information, why are there so many teachers in the world?

A good teacher will connect his students with the right information in the quickest way possible.

Last edited by IMOG; 07-17-2004 at 03:28 PM.
IMOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 03:11 PM   #23
IMOG
Cooling Neophyte

I wanted to add, that I have been a member of OCF since november of 2002, and I do not recall ever seeing this "Audiman" around the forums and hes been there around the same amount of time judging by his join date. Maybe that gives you an idea of the challenges that knowledgeable members face when trying to help everyone out there who needs help.

I still think though, to screw up like he did after being around that long, there are some people who just refuse to learn - that can't be the fault of an entire forum. It's a blatant disregard for anything resembling knowledge.
Unread 07-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #24
greenman100
Cooling Savant

to clarify, I believe pH was saying no one posts the good OCers threds here...only the bad ones.
Unread 07-17-2004, 03:34 PM   #25
IMOG
Cooling Neophyte

Make sure you don't focus on any one part. The totality of that explanation needs to be considered in order to take from it what was intended.

As for what pHaestus said, I meant he recognized that there are knowledgeable, insightful people. I meant that I think we need more members willing to dig that information up. I realize pH was trying to highlight the fact that the people at this forum may not get a fair representation of OCF just from the links that are presented here.