Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 08-03-2005, 04:07 AM   #1
joe75123
Cooling Neophyte

Default PSU Switch Mod.....

first of all i would like to say hello to everyone as i am new to the forum. I have been reading around for quite a while and decidided to post a question or two for you experts out there. Now i have just purchased a used server case off of ebay, which i plan on putting one hell of a mod system together. well at least one hell of a mod system for me. it has 6 5.25" external bays, now that is the chit, i just cant wait. i bought an athlon1800+juihb chip off of ebay for $35 bucks and it got lost in shipping yesterday. so that sucks, i have heard those chips can be cranked up to 2.5ghz and higher.

well anyway, that is the start of what i got. im going to buy these comair rotron fans that are fuggin huge. they move 300cfm and 550 cfm. i figured i would use those for an exaust and one on top of my radiator. but the problem i have with those is they dont connect directly to the power supply, they have like these 3 little prongs on them. so i was wondering if any of you would know how i could get that to plug into a regular 4 pin connector off of the power supply.

I am going to be running 2 seperate power supplies. one for my fans and water cooling and one for all of my hardware stuff. Now this brings me to my second question. Is there a way i can get the second power supply to turn on when i power up the computer. but i want the power supplies to work seperate. i dont want them to work together. and if not, is there a way i can mod a toggle switch in the front of my case to where i can just flip the switch and all of my fans and water cooling come on. i would appreciate it if anyone could help me here. thanks alot guys.

thx,
joe
joe75123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

Connect a switch to the power_good and a ground wire.

http://www.dvhardware.net/modules.ph...rticle&artid=5 (see the pictures).

When those two pins are connected , they start the PSU.
Use two pins, some wire and a switch and that's about it.
Unread 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
joe75123
Cooling Neophyte

thanks terra max, that was helpful of you, i appreciate it.

thx,
joe
Unread 08-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

no problem.
two points:

- just an advice, dont run it long without any equipment connected.
psu's are designed to run with a minimum amount of current consumption (load), else they have a tendency to shutdown. Never burned one thou, so you shouldnt have any issues there, imo.

- three wire fans have two for power, and one for RPM monitoring, usually red and black for power, green or yellow for RPM.
If they are the beasts you say they are, you should try to get the amps and volts rating , on the back of them.
If they are 12v, you can connect them directly into the 12v rail on the psu, yellow and black (ground). If 24v, you can do the same, but they will run undervolted, which is probably a good thing as 300 cfm fans are noisy as hell.
Or, you can get a 24v regulator at an eletronics store. Or , if they are 12v, and under 20W (V*I) , a sunbeam rheobus can do the trick.

300 and 550 cfm are overkill , imho.
Unread 08-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
joe75123
Cooling Neophyte

ok terra mex, i appreciate all your insite. this is gonna be the chit when i get it done, i cant wait to just go to town on this case. i just got my nf7-v2 today and my 2x256 corsair xms twinx llpt memory. i have 2x256 corsair bh's on the way, they arnt matched though, i will be hunting ebay for sticks to match those. once again, thanks terra mex

joe
Unread 08-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
joe75123
Cooling Neophyte

im just using the big fans as an exhaust blower for the radiator. i will mount it on top of the radiator with a custom moded shroud. either that, or i will put it on the top of the case itself to suck the air out. i will also have 4 or 5 120;s but that will be all i need. i am going to mod a duct with a 120 on it for the cpu water block and one for the graphics waterblock. i am becoming a fuggin computer nerd, that is for sure. cya terra mex, i will be back on soon.
Unread 08-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

post pics when you get things started