Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

View Poll Results: Did Phoenix answer Max8's Questions?
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Default Upgrading From SAS drives to SATA Drives

G'day Old Friends!

I am hoping that another member of the forum has done this kind of upgrade?

I plan on replacing SAS drives in a Snap 550 with SATA Drives....

The 550 has a SAS HBA that has the external connector for connecting S50's but it also connects directly to the backplane...

If it was an Adaptec HBA it would support both SAS & SATA Drives but its an LSI HBA, when I was selling Adaptec SAS HBA's it came up a few times that other Manf's SAS HBA's would not support both... these days I am sure this has changed but this system was released 5+ years ago...

There is a SAS Connector that looks identical to the LSI SAS HBA's Connector on the motherboard....

Do I have to change from the SAS HBA to the Motherboard connector?

Before I do anything I thought I would consult with you guys...
Max8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Upgrading From SAS drives to SATA Drives

The HBA is supposed to support both sas and sata; even if it didn't I'd assume that the backplane would....?

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/...3442X_r_pb.pdf

Here's a comparison with the Adaptec
http://www.adaptec.com/nr/rdonlyres/...8300lsi_13.pdf

Out of interest to anyone that owns a 520; is the backplane SAS Cable connected straight to the Motherboard?

Whenever an old snap 4x00 comes to me with boot issues the first thing I do is pull out the SCSI HBA and in many many cases that move allows the Snap to boot properly....
Unread 11-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Uh

Going from SAS to SATA is NOT upgrading, it is downgrading...

To the best of my knowledge, you can put either SAS or SATA drives in the Sanbloc S50.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of which...

I have a very nice Sanbloc S50 with 12 x 10K rpm SAS drives, and includes the very expensive SAS HBA card for the Snap Server head unit (4200, 4500, 510, 520, etc) and the SAS cable. I would be willing to part with if there is any serious interest out there. This is a complete turn key setup. All you need is the Snap Server (and for the right price, I could include one of those too).

If you are serious about wanting it, send me a PM or email.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Hello Phoenix,

I just knew I would get my first response from your kind self.

In terms of HDD space it is actually upgrading... - having SAS drives will not effect the intended use of my 550 one iota.

In terms of being helpful and answering the questions I put forward, your response is basically irrelevant.

None the less; that is exactly why we love you so much...

Normally I would prefer not to mention it but I cannot hold myself back... you even managed a shameless sales pitch for the S50 you are trying to flog... which, as a salesperson, I find innovative and commendable.

There is a classified section on this forum specifically for selling I do recall, I trust you have it listed there also? - I'm keen but what's the freight cost to Australia for a loaded S50 I wonder, can you send me the dimensions and the weight?

You could put it in a roadies case and mix it in with Lady GaGa's band's freight on the next tour, I think it is in 10 weeks or so... My cousin works at Sydney Airport he will fish it out of her freight when it lands, yep its easy to ID the plane, its the one with the Gold-glittery Bra on it!...

Anyways if anyone can assist with my questions, in summary;
  • Has anyone done this kind of upgrade in the past?
  • Will SATA Drives work connected to the SAS HBA?
  • In a 520 is the SAS Cable connecting to the Motherboard?

Many thanks in advance....

BTW... Phoenix
I'm coming over to the east coast of the US for work, I have business to attend to in Seattle.
Yes the AUS Gov actually Gave me a Passport! (The Sydney Olympics "Incident" in 2000 must have finally been forgiven or forgotten?).... Not sure how I will go with my US Visa though...
But if I get the OK Phoenix, My Boss said it is fine and I told him I have a mate that lives near Seattle, so I'm coming to stay at your place! it's only a couple of hundred clicks (Kilometers) away! - and it looks like a lovely town on google maps too....

Unless anyone else here lives a little closer to Seattle that is.... but don't worry Phoenix we can both still come and visit you on one of my days off....

I just noticed the name of that emoticon its called a "hammer tard" - Love it!!!

Last edited by Max8; 11-13-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: spelling punctuation...
Unread 11-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max8 View Post
Hello Phoenix,
  • Has anyone done this kind of upgrade in the past?
  • Will SATA Drives work connected to the SAS HBA?
  • In a 520 is the SAS Cable connecting to the Motherboard?

In terms of being helpful and answering the questions I put forward, your response is basically irrelevant.

None the less; that is exactly why we love you so much...
EXCUSE ME!

So now my answers are basically irrelevant and that is why I am loved so much?

I very clearly answered the first 2 of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, you can put either SAS or SATA drives in the Sanbloc S50.
See if you get another answer out of me....

And there you go again calling it an upgrade to SATA.

Quote:
In terms of HDD space it is actually upgrading... - having SAS drives will not effect the intended use of my 550 one iota.
While the speed may not be important to you, I would think that reliability would be at least an "iota". SAS uses a much better protocol and thus reduces the chances for file errors and timing errors by leaps and bounds. Notto mention those type drives are built to much higher standards and tend to last longer and so forth.

So it may not be important to you, but reliability is a big "iota" for most people.

Quote:
Normally I would prefer not to mention it but I cannot hold myself back... you even managed a shameless sales pitch for the S50 you are trying to flog... which, as a salesperson, I find innovative and commendable.

There is a classified section on this forum specifically for selling I do recall, I trust you have it listed there also?
It was not a "shameless sales pitch"! If I was trying to sell it, I would have included a lot more details and a price etc. We were talking about a Sanbloc S50 with SAS drives. While on that subject, I wanted to see if there was any interest in one. Feel the waters. So no, I did not put it in the classified section.

In fact, I happen to love that particular unit. It is rock solid and very fast. However, I am finding I do not need near as much storage as I have. I have a ton of snaps and 2 Sanbloc S50 units. So I thought I might mention it to see if it was worth the time and effort to sell it. PERIOD!

Quote:
BTW... Phoenix
I'm coming over to the east coast of the US for work, I have business to attend to in Seattle.
Last time I checked, Seattle was on the west coast, not the east coast...

Quote:
I told him I have a mate that lives near Seattle, so I'm coming to stay at your place! it's only a couple of hundred clicks (Kilometers) away!
Uh, no, I don't think so. I have been married going on 34 years and I want to keep it that way. That, and I am not exactly "user friendly".

Seattle is about 2.5 hours drive from here. And it is winter here. You know, snow falling etc. We get that here in the north west US. That and that 2.5 hour drive is over mountain passes. The casecade mountains are between us and Seattle. That 2.5 hour drive can quickly turn into an 8 to 10 hour drives, if at all.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Now, Now, Settle down Tiger…

No need for a heart attack, 90% of my post was in jest, as I thought yours was… Do your really think that I could consider your response about downgrading as being 100% serious?

So my reply post was very much meant to be humorous; I knew the east coast bit would get a remark, my Brother does not work at the airport, I am sure that Lady GaGa’s plain will not have a gold glittery bra, I was not involved in any incident at the 2000 Olympics and I wouldn’t expect anyone to be able to put me up if I came to the states… if I did it would be unlikely it would be to visit Seattle… as remote as it seems if I do I will ensure it is in summer….

Also I meant that we love you for the posts you make... they are quite witty…

But really your post didn’t go anywhere near answering my questions in the first posts so it was basically irrelevant to them…

My Questions;

Has anyone done this kind of upgrade in the past?
Will SATA Drives work connected to the SAS HBA?
In a 520 is the SAS Cable connecting to the Motherboard?

Your response;
Uh
Going from SAS to SATA is NOT upgrading, it is downgrading...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of which...
I have a very nice Sanbloc S50 with 12 x 10K rpm SAS drives, and includes the very expensive SAS HBA card for the Snap Server head unit (4200, 4500, 510, 520, etc) and the SAS cable. I would be willing to part with if there is any serious interest out there. This is a complete turn key setup. All you need is the Snap Server (and for the right price, I could include one of those too).
If you are serious about wanting it, send me a PM or email.

Do I need to do a poll?

Last edited by Max8; 11-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

no wonder this forum is dead....
Unread 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
no wonder this forum is dead....
And that reason is?

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067