Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 04-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
HarryC
Cooling Neophyte

Default Can't delete iscsi disk

I've a snap server 18000 that was being used for testing iscsi with VMware guests. It shows three iscsi disks, all showing "Failed" with a size of zero.
You cannot select the iscsi disk to delete it or anything. If you try to wotk with the volume or the raid array itself, you get a message that you can't do anything while there are active iscsi disks.
I thought I could fail the array, pulled several disks. and the raid shows as failed but still cannot select an iscsi disk, and can't delete raid or volume because of active iscsi disks. I can create more iscsi disks use them, delete them and every thing, but can't get rid of the failed ones.
Any ideas? I'd just like to wipe the disks and start over.
Thanks
HarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
HarryC
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Can't delete iscsi disk

Update: Evidently GOS thinks there are still clients connected to the iscsi disks. There are not. I've tried an isolated network so nothing can even try to connect. Any ideas on how to force a disconnect of the imaginary client(s)?
Thanks
harry
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
eschw95458
Cooling Neophyte

My first question - Is there any important data on the server?? (since you failed the array probably not but just want to make sure anyway )
and ( I know stupid question but I have to ask ) have you tried restarting the server??

IF there isn't anything important on the server I would try to go to the maintenance tab/ factory defaults and reset the defaults.

Whatever you do don't "WIPE" all the disks as the os resides on them.

Last edited by eschw95458; 05-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.
eschw95458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
HarryC
Cooling Neophyte

No data at all. I'd tried the factory reset before and just tried it again. Went thru initial set up and all. The three failed iscsi volumes with zero length are still there. I think at this point I'll put a spare disk in one of my production 550's. Once it gets the OS, I'll pull all drives on the 18000 and put the spare disk in it. IF it comes up and the iscsi disks are gone, hopefully their config is not in flash, then I'll wipe the original disks and reinstall slowly so they all get a working OS. IF not I can always use a boat anchor. The 18000 was taken out of production as the cache battery had failed. Swolen up su bad the solider tabs tore off the card. rebuilt with new batteries and works ok so I was goint to use the 18000 as storage for new vm machines we're testing
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
eschw95458
Cooling Neophyte

That sounds like a good plan, However if I may offer a better solution

DO FIRST If you have the gos file to reinstall the os, then just do a full install. (Contact me via PM if that is what you need to do and I can walk you through it )

OR the other thing I can suggest is if it starts up from the other disk and you wipe the remaining disks, there is no need to go "slowly". If the first disk works then just shut the unit down leaving the good drive in position 1 and put the all the clean disks in and start it up. It will copy to all the disks in a matter of minutes.
eschw95458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
HarryC
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks! I don't have the GOS file so I'll have to "Load" a drive in one of the working machines. Your right all the "wiped" drives can be replaced at once.
An interesting question would be, if I load a drive with a 5.xx version of GOS, boot the 18000 from it then start installing the old drives with a 4.xx version of GOS on them what happens? The 4.xx gets over written? I get a horrible mess? To be sure I will wipe the old drives before installing.
Harry
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
SaFeHeX
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
An interesting question would be, if I load a drive with a 5.xx version of GOS, boot the 18000 from it then start installing the old drives with a 4.xx version of GOS on them what happens? The 4.xx gets over written? I get a horrible mess? To be sure I will wipe the old drives before installing.
Harry
Personally i would go with the safe option and zero fill the other drives first. I have no idea what happens if you mix two versions of GOS but it could be possible that some nastys are left on there.

A bit of advice though before you wipe any drives. Get your licence keys from the snap extensions section. I made the mistake of zeroing drives once for a re-install and lost the licence keys for some enabled features.

It's a shame you didn't have the GOS full install.gsu file. I have found them to be essential in many cases like this.
SaFeHeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18000, iscsi