Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

View Poll Results: should it be legalized?
YES- i smoked it/ tried it /cant live without it 114 50.67%
YES- but i'v never tried but agree for medicinal use only 38 16.89%
NO- tried it, dont think its good for anyone 24 10.67%
NO- its is harmful and shouldn't be legalized 49 21.78%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #126
cybrsamurai
Cooling Savant

Holy old thread batman!
Unread 01-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #127
rocketmanx
Cooling Savant

Wow, this is a bit musty

I have a few opinions on this subject and I have to say first that the first choice was the closest as I smoked pot, loved it, still like it. But, I haven't smoked it, drank or done any other drugs for over 13 years now.

Unfortuantely every time this topic comes up the real issue with drugs is missed totally. Drugs, legal or illegal, are only legal or illegal due to the definition of law and does not have anything to do with addicting properties or ability to impair.
The REAL issue is with abuse and addictive personalaities, these are the issues that need to be addressed. unfortuantely as long as drugs reamain illegal how can the government ever possibly hope to help or make any headway in the effort to help those who abuse. It's very well known to those in the psychiatric profession and those who have gotten into a recovery program that people with addictive personalities who choose to drugs (alcohol is included in my definition of drugs) will most likely become addicted. I say this because there are so many people addicted and the majority don't seek help because of social pressures such as the moral issue and the legal issue. The laws against drugs are not ever going to stop people from doing drugs. It's a battle that we've been losing for years. The place the battle against drugs is being won is at home and school through either education and parenting or through the many succesful recovery programs that are privately ran by others with abuse problems. The battle to get rid of drugs will never be won but the battle against abuse COULD be won. It never will be as long as the government continues to hide behind the lame aand lazy way of dealing with drugs which is by saying they are illegal. Not a very effective approach imo.

I saw a special on when drugs were made illegal for the first time in the US. The start was back during the opium scare of the early 1900's. There were so many people becoming addicted that the goverment had to do something. As ti turns out, due to the constitution and the rights it upholds for us Us citizens, the government couldn't make consumtion illegal since in the privacy of our own homes we have the right to ingest anything we wish, no matter how harmful or stupid it may be. The remedy to this was to make possesion illegal. Have you ever heard of anyone being arrested for consumtion of marijauna?
Well, this unfortunately drove the many opium addicts that were on the street underground andinto hiding. it did nothing to stop posession/consumption as the law states it only served to make lots of addicted users who hurt noone but themselves into prisoners and made it very ahrd for those in need of help to come forward.
IMO, the laws against drugs have done nothing to help stop those who will seek them out anyway and probably become addicted. These are the people that are the real issue anyway. I don't think any of us have a problem with someone who smokes a joint every now and then and is not an abuser, or does it to the point it effects his life. Those who will seek it out are going to continue to do so whether legal or illegal. Drugs have been a part of culture since the beginning of man. We aren't going to wipe out the human curiosity to try chemicals anytime soon with a law.
In my opinion it's our right to consume whatever we wish in our own homes. Beyond there, it's the public domain and the governments job is to protect us from others and not to protect us from ourselves. That statemenr leads me to whole other batch of things that piss me off about our goverment, but that's another topic. I think we should be allowed to consume drugs if we so wish in our own homes. But, if this leads to abuse problems then we should also be held financialy responsible and if any other problems arise then we should be held legaly responsible.
To me making drugs illegal is just a scared reaction to a problem the governements not quite sure how to handle. Of course treatment and recovery is not something the govenment would ever think of doing since it's such a "gray" fix and not something easily promoted in a campaign speech. In other words think the gov. likes hard firm desiciions that can be put on a piece of paper, signed, and then forgotten about.

Last edited by rocketmanx; 01-27-2004 at 11:12 PM.
rocketmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2004, 11:43 PM   #128
Boli
Cooling Savant

Wow... tis an old thread but I do have a few final things to say on the issue.

Quote:
I have a few opinions on this subject and I have to say first that the first choice was the closest as I smoked pot, loved it, still like it. But, I haven't smoked it, drank or done any other drugs for over 13 years now.
I like my good friend rocketmanx have been clean for nearly a half a year now *corny applause*. No seriously I made a conscious choice to stop smoking injesting pot at all, and although I had cut back a lot over the previous months before I decided to give it up. I do have anything bad to say about those who choose to smoke pot or anything like that. Although I don't particually want to go into the reasons why I decided to give up, there was one thing that people never seem to mention.

People say pot does marvellous things, and they are completly correct it does have all these "magical" properties; but one weird things I found I had never expected only happened about a month or so after I stoped giving up and the last of the drug had worked its way out of my system. For about a week or so every day I got out of bed... I wanted to. My brain started working again and I found I could add up in my head again. Unbeliveablly I actually got motivated about stuff.

One thing I allways said that was the best thing about smoking pot as opposed to drinking was you never had a hangover. I had never realised that it had such a profound effect on my health other than the effects I experianced when smoking.

I'm not trying to be all preachy about it all. but it IS a drug that alters your mental state in ways you don't realise at the time You have to step back to reliase what the full effects are. I would never ban anyone from trying it, if people want smoke pot and have a laugh with your mates they should be allowed to. Most of the time it is the very ileagality of the drug that is the charm of it.

I'm not sure exactly what my point is but out of a few dessions I had made in my life giveing up pot is dfinatly in the top 5.. and that is definatly somehting to think on coming from an ex-pothead.

~ Boli
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2004, 09:20 PM   #129
Tekime
Cooling Neophyte

Wow. I just joined Pro/Forums after discovering your articles on accurately measuring temps by drilling a path in your CPU socket. All I have to say about that is, you guys are friggin hardcore and I like your style. I'm trying hard to put together the most accurate testbed I can for gauging temps in the stuff I review, and I found my new setup.

Alas, I find myself stumbling upon a nearly year long thread about marijuana. Religion and politics might be eternally debatable, but I think this is a logical enough subject. I can't possibly read the entire thread right now, but I did see some pretty interesting comments on the subject. I see that some of you vigorously defend your right to smoke/use/possess marijuana while some of you are of the entirely opposite camp.

I see a lot of good points, but I conjecture that if anyone here is of reasonable mind, they can't possibly begin to defend the illegilization of marijuana while alcohol remains legal.

Alcohol destroys thousands upon thousands of lives every year. Even the most extreme potheads aren't a threat. At worst they might step on the cat stumbling to the fridge for some muchies.

Just my $.02.

Last edited by Tekime; 02-06-2004 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Sp.
Tekime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2004, 12:57 PM   #130
*GBG*uggbash
Cooling Neophyte

Tekime!

Would we make pot legal to, so that we can be a bit more fair?

Great!

It just caries.. one little draw-back, and that is; it's better for public health if its not legalized.. and with that it pushes your argument down from a grand skyscraper! and i'm afraid it broke it's neck on the cold ground of sober reasoning.!! Mohahah…

;Edit

And I suppose you are equally thrilled over illegalization of alcohol?

Last edited by *GBG*uggbash; 02-24-2004 at 01:21 PM.
*GBG*uggbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #131
superart
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by *GBG*uggbash
...it's better for public health if its not legalized...
Exactly how is pot being illigal better for public health? The fact that its easier for minors to buy pot than it is to buy tabaco? Or the fact that if a kid gets caught with any ammount of pot, even if he has never done anything wrong or hurt anyone in his life, his future is basicly ****ed? Or the fact that a substance that initofitself is not verry harmfull, just by being a controlled substance, lends itself to being associated with crime?

Tell me, what public health catastrophies will come to pass if pot does get legalised? God forbid, kids might not be able to buy it in schools any more. I mean, we wouldn't want to put a litle ding into the profit margins of our friendly neighborhood drug pushers, would we now?

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:59 AM   #132
*GBG*uggbash
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by superart
Exactly how is pot being illigal better for public health? The fact that its easier for minors to buy pot than it is to buy tabaco? Or the fact that if a kid gets caught with any ammount of pot, even if he has never done anything wrong or hurt anyone in his life, his future is basicly ****ed? Or the fact that a substance that initofitself is not verry harmfull, just by being a controlled substance, lends itself to being associated with crime?

Tell me, what public health catastrophies will come to pass if pot does get legalised? God forbid, kids might not be able to buy it in schools any more. I mean, we wouldn't want to put a litle ding into the profit margins of our friendly neighborhood drug pushers, would we now?

Well since pot is poisonous, like all plants are in a varying degree -you shouldn’t consume it's different chemicals, that are designed and that exists for one purpose only, to poison animals who tries to eat it. That is reason enough to make it illegal. Our present drug policy in the west does not work, because it's to mild. If we got rid of the production, if we got rid of the drug-propaganda (music, role model celebrities on drugs etc) we could have really good results. The mass-media are more and more favorable to drugs and the public mind adjusts accordingly. (as seen here) The solution is not to give up, it's the opposite.

BURN THE DRUGS!
Unread 02-25-2004, 02:07 AM   #133
*GBG*uggbash
Cooling Neophyte

Really i want the best for my fellow men, drugs destroy people, some drugs can even change cell's DNA.

Drugs will not recreate, rejuvenate or rejoice anyone. Drugs only corrupt and destroy.

Hell no i want that shit!

I knew some guys on drugs and well it's sad, i HATE it, sometimes i even see young bums.. and i hate it even more then, please you little kids, show daddy why drugs are good and he will come and kick your ass into obedience, damn if i ever get a kid who experiments with drugs, he/she is gonna get his/her as so severely kicked so they dont even dare to tell anyone.

;Edit

There he is! walking in his baggy pants! he thinks he is cool, pushing drugs to my kids, oh well, me and my best friend are not gonna sit here and take it! Running towards him, raises my sawed of shotgun, knocks him down, he chookes and seam shocked, though i do not hesitate! i open his mounth with the gun, and then i press the trigger, his brains are squashed all over the street! his gang, runs away in fear! I take upp his head, and screams so all scum can hear, " there is a new man in town, drug dealing are now punished with death!, DEAHT! DEATH DEATH!

Last edited by *GBG*uggbash; 02-26-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Unread 02-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #134
superart
Cooling Savant

Thats nice. A harmless plant is evil, but murder, censorship, child abuse, and book burning are all OK. You seem like an individual that loves freedom.

Pot may well be poisonous(although according to scientific research it's practically harmless), but, regardless, the government does not have the right to regulate what a person puts into his/her own body. As long as the person is not hurting anyone else, in a free society, he has the right to harm himself if he wants to.

Not only that, but Marijuana laws actually cause more harm than the drug itself.

Unread 02-25-2004, 12:34 PM   #135
*GBG*uggbash
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by superart
Thats nice. A harmless plant is evil, but murder, censorship, child abuse, and book burning are all OK. You seem like an individual that loves freedom.

Pot may well be poisonous(although according to scientific research it's practically harmless), but, regardless, the government does not have the right to regulate what a person puts into his/her own body. As long as the person is not hurting anyone else, in a free society, he has the right to harm himself if he wants to.

Not only that, but Marijuana laws actually cause more harm than the drug itself.

Since, what mr Bill and Joe does to their bodies affects my children and their stepchildrens survivial chances on this planet i do care, despite libertarianism.

But i understand your point, and it's quite healthy, but it got bounds...

;Edit No it's not harmless there is tons of research proving it sucks, there is also a ton of sober reasoning based on science that proves it sucks, please understand that a drug that make such a big impact on the mind, does have side effects.. THC are stored in the brain fat, now that has to have some effect, i wouldent gamble otherwise even if one thousands of studies proved otherwise...

Last edited by *GBG*uggbash; 02-25-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Unread 02-25-2004, 02:54 PM   #136
superart
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Since, what mr Bill and Joe does to their bodies affects my children and their stepchildrens survivial chances on this planet i do care, despite libertarianism.
So your saying that if Mr. Bill or Mr. Joe smoke in the privacy of their own home, this will somehow effect your children? How would this effect anyone other than Mr. Bill or Mr. Joe?

Quote:
there is also a ton of sober reasoning based on science that proves it sucks...that has to have some effect, i wouldent gamble otherwise even if one thousands of studies proved otherwise...
You do realize that these two statements are entirely contradictory, right?

here are a couple studies that show that marijuana is not as harmful as you and others make it out to be. In fact, in many instances, it can be used to treat many illnesses and diseases. The current laws, however, are keeping it from being used to help countless people. I think this is potentially more harmful to your kids than if Mr. Joe or Mr. Bill choose to smoke.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/74/89068.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/23/1728_57309.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/70/80972.htm?lastselectedguid={5F

Please point me to the “tons” of studies you mentioned that suggest that marijuana is so harmful to individuals and society, that we should impose tyrannical laws on people that are more harmful than the substance itself.

Quote:
THC are stored in the brain fat, now that has to have some effect, i wouldent gamble otherwise
glucose, sodium, and proteins are also fat soluble and are stored in the brain. Are you suggesting we pass laws against candy, eggs, and steak, just because “sober reasoning based on science” suggests that it also “sucks”?

Last edited by superart; 02-25-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Unread 02-25-2004, 04:40 PM   #137
killernoodle
Thermophile

Just because it isn't THAT unhealthy doesnt mean it is healthy. You are much healthier if you don't smoke. That is a fact.

Also, as long as the government is taking money from my paychecks for medicare and stuff, I dont want potheads growing up and taking all of it because of their life decisions. Realistically, people would recognize what the crap does to their bodies and just stop because most people dont want to die early, but people will always be ignorant to the future as long as they can be. I don't mind people smoking weed, but I don't want to be around them, I dont want share the road with them, and I dont wanna pay their medical bills because they have half a lung left.

If you were smart, you wouldnt use pot. Also, about how lots of things being stored in the brain... those things are necessary for basic life functions. Without them, we would DIE. Pot adds chemicals to the brain that are more likely to be dangerous to health.

I just dont see why people would use this stuff. I dont even feel compelled to drink or smoke, much less do weed or worse. It just doesnt make any sense...
Unread 02-25-2004, 06:50 PM   #138
superart
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Just because it isn't THAT unhealthy doesnt mean it is healthy. You are much healthier if you don't smoke. That is a fact.
You're right. But you're also much healthier if you don't eat fried foods, your also much healthier if you don't drink soda, you're also much healthier if you exercise daily.
Are you suggesting that the government make everything that is unhealthy illegal? Do you want the government to make KFC illegal? Should coke and Pepsi be illegal? Should the government make cars illegal so that people would walk to work and get exercise? You're probably saying "well those things aren't drugs, that's different." Well, you're right, it is. I'd be willing to bet that, all other things being constant, someone who smokes pot everyday will, both in short term and long term, be more healthy than someone who eats McDonalds every day.

I am not saying that pot is "healthy". All I am saying is

1.) Marijuana has been proven to aid in the treatment of many illnesses and diseases, and the fact that it is illegal is preventing many people from getting proper medical treatment.

2.)You said that you think Marijuana should be illegal because you don't want to pay for people's medical bills, but tobacco and alcohol are FAR worse for the body and cause FAR more long term and short term medical problems, yet you are not suggesting we make tobacco or alcohol illegal.

Quote:
I don't mind people smoking weed, but I don't want to be around them
You got legs, use 'em. If someone is around you that is smoking pot, either go away from them or ask them politely to not smoke in your presence.

Quote:
I dont want share the road with them
Which is why DUI is, and should be, illegal. That is a law that actually works, because it protects public safety, since it criminalizes a dangerous action, not a harmless substance. Just like with alcohol.

Quote:
and I don't wanna pay their medical bills because they have half a lung left.
But I guess you don't mind paying the med. Bills of people who smoke tobacco or abuse alcohol. Also, a lot more of your tax dollar go's toward enforcing the marijuana laws than go's into paying for peoples marijuana induced medical bills.

Quote:
I just dont see why people would use this stuff. I dont even feel compelled to drink or smoke, much less do weed or worse.
Well, good. That is your body, and the choice that you have made for yourself. However the the values and choices that you feel are right for you, are not necessarily right for someone else, and no one should have the right to impose their values on another person or group, especially if those values are based on prejudiced and ignorant beliefs.

Unread 02-25-2004, 08:12 PM   #139
killernoodle
Thermophile

All I am saying is that other people's stupid decisions should not impact the saftey, livelihood, and welfare of myself and others that choose not to participate in recreational drugs.

Name one positive thing that can come from smoking weed, other than a cure from glycoma.... i'm waiting.... yeah, there is nothing besides a high that only the idiot smoking the stuff can enjoy while he/she has more of a potential to risk the lives of people around him/her or even himself/herself.

Do you really want pot heads in the workplace? If marijuana was legalized, how many kids do you think will go to school stoned? Arent there already enough drunkards in the workplace? Do we want stoner taxi-drivers or pilots?

Also, alcohol is something else that I cannot tolerate to be around. What is the point of getting piss drunk anyways? You just end up with a hangover in the morning and not knowing what happened the previous night and a scarred kidney. I know there is no way to stop alcohol or marijuana, people will always act on primitive impulses such as the need for pleasure, even if it is killing them.

I know it is unhealthy to eat fried foods, drink excessive amounts of soda and not exercise on a regular basis. That is why I dont do it. I am probably one of the healthiest eating persons I know. I am 6'2" and weigh about 135. I know how to take care of my body. I dont see why so many people cannot do the same and continue to take the same course through life, denying all that is rational. The simple fact is that people like me will end up paying for people that live unhealthy lifestyles, whether we like it or not and that, my friend, is what is wrong with this country. Ideally, people should pay for their own medicare and have that part of the taxes removed. Medicare is too much of a socialist idea and penalizes the healthy people more than the unhealthy. I dont mind paying for an old lady who needs a new hip, but if someone has liver problems and is on dialysis because he drank too much in his life, or a guy is on oxygen because he smoked too much, I shouldnt have to pay out of my pocket for them.

Also, will the person who smokes pot every day be more functional than the guy who eats McDonalds every day? Are all pot heads anti-Mcdonalds? Weed only compounds the problems the country has already. I figure that if marijuana is legalized, cocaine is next, then heroine, then after a while people will be injecting everything into themselves for fun and, you guessed it, we'll have to pay for it eventually. We have enough problems already with fat people, smokers, and drinkers, do we really need the problems assiciated with excessive marijuana smoking?

I'm still waiting for that one positive side effect of pot...
Unread 02-26-2004, 02:44 AM   #140
*GBG*uggbash
Cooling Neophyte

I can't believe a guy like superart are defending pot!

"Marijuana is addictive; it adversely affects the immune system," leads to the use of other drugs, such as cocaine;" it causes cancer, including cancer of the lungs, mouth, throat, lip, and tongue. Marijuana also causes respiratory diseases and mental disorders, such as schizophrenia and other psychoses, depression, panic attacks, hallucinations, paranoia, hostility, depersonalization, flashbacks, decreased cognitive performance, disconnected thought, delusions and impaired memory. Since marijuana impairs coordination and judgment, it is a major cause of accidents. Babies born to women who smoke rnarijuana during pregnancy have an increased incidence of leukemia, low birth weight," and other abnormalities."

"Just as there is a powerful tobacco lobby, there is a well-funded marijuna lobby which consists of groups, such as the National Association for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) , which aim to legalize marijuana. *In 1979, Keith Stroup, NORML's founder, told an Emory University audience that they would be using the issue of medicinal marijuana as a red herring to give marijuana a good name.*The tobacco industry also promoted cigarettes as medicine until the Federal Trade Commission halted the practice in 1955. "Camels" were said to prevent fatigue and aid digestion, and "Kools" were said to prevent the common cold. Currently, NORML backs state and federal "medicinal marijuana" bills which aim to bypass our consumer protection laws. The tobacco industry similarly tries to undermine the FDA."

;Edit here is some more..

"Marijuana is not a pure substance but is an unstable, varying, complex mixture of over 400 chemicals, many of which are harmful substances which have not been well-studied either alone or in combination with each other. New harmful chemical components of marijuana are still being discovered. When smoked, marijuana produces over 2000 chemicals, including hydrogen cyanide, ammonia, carbon monoxide, acetaldehyde, acetone, phenol, cresol, naphthalene, and well-known carcinogens such as benz(a) pyrene, benz(a)anthracene, benzene, and nitrosamines. Many of these cancer-causing substances are present in higher concentrations in marijuana smoke than in tobacco smoke.2"

Harmless? I have red some opinions from researchers, about their studies. They often say that smoking little is pretty harmless, but if you smoke more and lots of it, it's dangerous. Some people can't handle it and smokes to much, some can handle it, and their risk of damage is lower, but they do put themselves in danger. Sometimes a psychosis can be triggered from just little marijuana. maybe it's up to the individual what to do, and maybe those genetic inferiors without self discipline doesn’t count.., but it does affect me in the end.. And although coined as practically harmless for the fit individual it does affect their contribution to my civilization, and my children’s, that is a fact, that is why i don't want any drugs, even if my freedom loving and individual integrity loving hart tells me otherwise. It's about taking responsibility. And i think many of you here will do that when you grow up...

I admit it; I want regulations, even if they are unjust and oppressive, because i like health, progress and fitness.

(http://www.eurad.net/The%20Medical%2...m%20Update.htm)

Last edited by *GBG*uggbash; 02-26-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Unread 05-20-2004, 03:42 PM   #141
superart
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I can't believe a guy like superart are defending pot!
What's that supposed to mean?

Also, it would be nice if your information came from a non-biased source. I can't imagine a place called EURAD (Europe Against Drugs) would print both sides of an issue.

Anyway, here are some recent findings from studies that show Marijuana not to be the demon you portray it to be.

First, this quote:
"It's been feared that marijuana smoke, like tobacco smoke, causes cancer and heart disease. The evidence argues otherwise, writes Stephen Sidney, MD, associate director for research for Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, Calif., in the Sept 20 issue of The Lancet. "
You can find the entire article here

Also, since your source claims that marijuana causes cancer, i would liek to post this quote:
"Marijuana, unlike tobacco and alcohol, does not appear to cause head, neck, or lung cancer, says a researcher from Johns Hopkins Medical School in Baltimore who presented findings from a study here recently at a meeting of internal medicine physicians."

Although it is true that smoking marijuana may increase your risk of heart attack, what they dont tell you is that it is only in older people well into their 40's, and it is only for the first hour after lighting up. To put this into perspective, shoveling snow makes you 100 times more likely to get a heart attack, pot makes you 5 times more likely, and only for 1 hour.

Also, i found this article interesting. it states,
"Long-term and even daily marijuana use doesn't appear to cause permanent brain damage, adding to evidence that it can be a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, say researchers."
you can find the entire article here

Unread 05-20-2004, 04:11 PM   #142
superart
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
All I am saying is that other people's stupid decisions should not impact the saftey, livelihood, and welfare of myself and others that choose not to participate in recreational drugs.
how does someone else smoking pot effect you or your kids?
Dont say that they are more likely to drive high and kill me, since that is not true, and we already covered that.

Quote:
Name one positive thing that can come from smoking weed, other than a cure from glycoma.... i'm waiting.... yeah, there is nothing besides a high that only the idiot smoking the stuff can enjoy while he/she has more of a potential to risk the lives of people around him/her or even himself/herself.
pain killer for cancer patients

AIDS patients have long used marijuana to fight the terrible wasting the disease causes. It's also been said to help an extremely painful condition known as peripheral neuropathy -- a painful nerve disease that has few effective treatments.

"Although not a cure, our research suggests that cannabinoids can play a crucial role in controlling some of the neuromuscular problems seen with MS," says David Baker, MD, of the Institute of Neurology at University College in London, the paper's main author.

Quote:
Do you really want pot heads in the workplace? If marijuana was legalized, how many kids do you think will go to school stoned? Arent there already enough drunkards in the workplace? Do we want stoner taxi-drivers or pilots?
There are already more potheads in the workplace than you realize. The thing is, though, pot doesn't impair ther ability to work. Just because someone smokes pot, doesn't mean they will be a menace to society. If a cab driver smoked some pot on a friday or saturday night, and went to work on monday, they would be perfectly safe. same goes for pilots, operators of heavy machinery, and scientists, and pet store owners, and people who make your bed in hotels, and chimney sweeps, etc.......

Quote:
Also, alcohol is something else that I cannot tolerate to be around. What is the point of getting piss drunk anyways? You just end up with a hangover in the morning and not knowing what happened the previous night and a scarred kidney. I know there is no way to stop alcohol or marijuana, people will always act on primitive impulses such as the need for pleasure, even if it is killing them.
yea, maybe if you are an alcaholic who drinks all day every day, but the use of alcahol in moderation wont do that. Thats what im talking about...moderation. most people only use alcahol and/or pot in moderation. The small minority of people who abuse it get all the attention though.

Quote:
Medicare is too much of a socialist idea and penalizes the healthy people more than the unhealthy. I dont mind paying for an old lady who needs a new hip, but if someone has liver problems and is on dialysis because he drank too much in his life, or a guy is on oxygen because he smoked too much, I shouldnt have to pay out of my pocket for them.
you do realize that more of your tax dollars are being spent enforceing unfair drug laws than are being spent on health care.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for that one positive side effect of pot...
refer to top

Unread 05-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #143
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default Making it illegal is pointless anyways

I have been reading through this thread, and the legalize crowd talk about how either the dangers of the drug are overblown, or that people should be free to make choices about such things...free to make bad choices even.

The anti-drug crew says the dangers are every bit as grave as hyped; and that the self-determination things isn't a valid argument because drug abusers impact so many other people with their problems. Numerous personal experiences have been cited by these posters to demonstrate their point, and point taken.

But the fact of the matter is that these abusers and their problems obviously exist right now, while pot is still illegal. Keeping it illegal doesn't seem to mitigate the problems. If keeping pot illegal somehow eliminated the problems, that argument would be more convincing. But here we are, with pot being illegal, and yet we have all the problems and personal tragedies used as arguments by people to keep pot illegal; talking as if that was the future result of pot being legal. Yet it is the present result of pot being illegal. It doesn't seem to matter what the legal status of dope is, the problems are there no matter what.

But the biggest problem from drugs is goverment encroachment on personal rights, and abuse of the justice system. Even now we see a two tiered legal standard for rich and poor. If I'm poor and caught with weed, especially if I'm selling it, I have a good chance of a felony conviction, which closes doors for the rest of my life, and jail time. If I'm rich kid then I go to the Betty Ford clinic and write a book about it. Hogwash.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 05:36 PM   #144
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

it is apparent that many are posting based on their beliefs;
new or contradictory facts are irrelevant, as facts will not influence a true 'believer'

if the justification for the curtailment of freedom is 'the greater good', then this principal should be applied uniformly
- in our society we refer to this principle as 'fairness', 'justice', 'equality under the law', etc.

so apply the same rules to all drugs
what's the big deal ?
tobacco, alcohol, pot, smack, pcp, go for 'em all
same rules, same penalties

until then understand that 'law and order' is a business, just like the government in Washington
what feeds this business ?
more laws, criminalizing more activity, necessitating more police, courts, prisons, and - of course - more lawyers

look; if we wish to deal with real and present dangers, lets go for the big ones
how about religion ?
superstition is the biggest killer, enslaver, and blight on mankind that has ever been known

ah yes, but then 'belief' would no longer be sufficient,
people would have to think for themselves;
unless they found a 'prophet' to speak for and guide them - and here we go again
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #145
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default That's where I'm coming from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
it is apparent that many are posting based on their beliefs;
new or contradictory facts are irrelevant, as facts will not influence a true 'believer'

if the justification for the curtailment of freedom is 'the greater good', then this principal should be applied uniformly
- in our society we refer to this principle as 'fairness', 'justice', 'equality under the law', etc.

so apply the same rules to all drugs
what's the big deal ?
tobacco, alcohol, pot, smack, pcp, go for 'em all
same rules, same penalties

until then understand that 'law and order' is a business, just like the government in Washington
what feeds this business ?
more laws, criminalizing more activity, necessitating more police, courts, prisons, and - of course - more lawyers

look; if we wish to deal with real and present dangers, lets go for the big ones
how about religion ?
superstition is the biggest killer, enslaver, and blight on mankind that has ever been known

ah yes, but then 'belief' would no longer be sufficient,
people would have to think for themselves;
unless they found a 'prophet' to speak for and guide them - and here we go again
As the religious love to say...Amen!
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #146
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Ah, I think I have found the answer of what it is good for......

munchies, Procooling style
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2004, 02:47 AM   #147
peepingdan
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Now this hits home for me, Killernoodle. I have a friend who has Cystic Fibrosis, and the only thing that can clear out his lungs and throat plus make him hungry (a side effect of the medicines that save his life, they make him lose his appetite) is marijuana. He probably couldn't bear the pain without it.
Carl Sagan smoked marijuana while on his death bed. Tell him that he is screwing with his body and he shouldn't smoke. Tell him to leave the cancer where it is because it is a part of him.

Fact is, that marijuana doesn't destroy brain cells. It only seals them off for an undetermined amout of time. That time can be days to months, but it DOES come back. Does your liver recover from cirrhosis?
peepingdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2004, 01:50 PM   #148
kronchev
Cooling Savant

all drugs should be legalized, because if you start something like angel dust, PCP, something like those that WILL kill you and severly harm your body, well, you did it to yourself.

doing bad things to yourself should NOT be illegal. let stupid people die off because they did stupid things. people need to accept responsibility for themselves. maybe then atrocities such as religion will start to fade out once people think for themselves.

I smoke marijuana semi-reglarily, at most once a month, and I have never felt any ill effects. I know very smart people who smoke it a lot. I know very dumb people who are against it and cant even come up with a good reason. It harms your body? Well yeh, burning leaves, of course it does. but it causes NO perminant damage, unless you smoke it every day, in which case its as bad as tobacco. it relaxes you and is something that is exactly like alcohol, it is for enjoying in small quantities and parties and what not, but if you start doing it every day, you have a problem.
Unread 06-10-2004, 02:51 PM   #149
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

I don't get it. Don't legalize it because it's gonna hurt your body. I personally don't give a crap if you guys smoke your brains out just so long as your use or abuse does not hurt others (such as driving while high). Kill or put to sleep as many brain cells as you like so long as you do not hurt anyone else.

As for religion, screw all of you that say believers are mindless. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You have no idea how much work is involved n trying to live your life on the path. Day in and day out I am faced with ignorent, self absorved assholes who's only mission seems to be to make me shove my foot up their a$$ and it is only by the grace of a loving and caring God that I no longer do so. On your best day you could not be as diligent, compassonate, considerate & focused as a true believer. I am not even close but I am trying to become a better person, a better father and a better friend and that is only because of a wonderful experience I have had reestablishing a relationship with God. Just because you don't understand or agree don't call me mindless. And I don't care to change you or your beliefs but don't piss on mine and think that it is okay because it is not.

psycho
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2004, 02:58 PM   #150
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

which religion ?
why is that one better than another one ? or none ?

you are a bigot
look it up

and a fool to persist in bigotry
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote