Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 12-15-2003, 11:42 AM   #201
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I'm glad I could be a motivator, lol.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #202
Tempus
Cooling Savant

sheesh, I lost my 25-30 lbs and stopped. I guess I should have tried to lose that last 10 just to hang out in the winners circle.

Oh well =(
Unread 12-16-2003, 11:55 AM   #203
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Hey: 25-30 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. Most folks on diets would be thrilled to lose 10 ... I love poking fun at all the folks that have struggled for years to lose 10-20 lbs with no success and watch their eyes boggle when I say "yeah, I lost over 50 in three and a half months."
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 12-16-2003, 01:37 PM   #204
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Yea that's certainly true airspirit. However losing weight is good for both health and self-esteem. That last 5 lbs may not make a bit of difference from a health standpoint, but meeting your initial goals is great for the mental perspective.

You ARE quite the motivator though airspirit; you could go on a speaking tour and evangelize the low carb lifestyle. You aren't QUITE effective enough to switch me to Linux, however.
Unread 12-17-2003, 08:54 PM   #205
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Well, once you realize that there is no necessary software that you need that is windows based (or something that is dual bootable), there is no reason to stick with windows. My gentoo install never breaks, any software I can ever desire is just an emerge call away, and it works a hell of a lot faster. If that's not enough for you to convert, it's probably a good idea that you don't. My brother didn't think he did anything special enough to need Linux, but as soon as I put it on his machine he was an instant convert. It just takes a nudge, and that nudge is usually personal ... though for some it is just sheer laziness of not wanting to hassle with it. As I said: if it's not important to you, it probably shouldn't be.
Unread 12-17-2003, 10:09 PM   #206
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

A lot of the software I use for work is Win32 only. Some of it is involved enough that it would take me weeks/months to switch to an alternative (and in some cases none exists). And at home, I like to play these games with something called DirectX. Sure you can run Wine or Win4lin and take a performance hit. That argument doesn't work for the Mac-heads at work (virtuaPC) trying to get me to switch, and it isn't going to be successful for Linux either. I'll consider Linux on the desktop when one of the necessary steps isn't "install windows so you can game and work". I have a Linux box at work now and I log onto it from windows PCs whenever I need to do any programming. Truth be told I could probably just install Cygwin with gcc and all the trimmings and get rid of the Linux box even. Linux on cheap distributed computing clusters? Sure! Linux on file/web/print servers? Damn straight! Linux on desktop? Nah not yet.

Oh and on topic. There's a lot of high quality baking and candy at my house now due to Christmas. I have to watch out for that stuff
Unread 12-18-2003, 01:18 AM   #207
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by unregistered
aw Sean, not you too
Don't feel too bad. My wife's agreed to let me have the house, and custody of the kid, and I'm in the process of charming a cute grad student. (And you all know how charming I am right?)

Life is good. (But I do need to lose weight.)

BTW the online personals service eharmony.com has a personality test. One my results:

"Objective decision-maker--will not let emotions cause bias. "

LOL
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 02:35 PM   #208
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Just thought I'd give a little update. I neither gained or lost weight from Dec 15-Jan 8 although I was in Louisiana and eating cajun food and mexican food at restaurants quite often. Now I am back home and have decided to get serious about an exercise program. I'm riding the exercise bike daily now and going to start on some weight training soon. I can't say enough good things about a morning exercise bike ride. It really gets you active through the whole morning and it is optimal time to do cardio for fat burning too.
Unread 01-13-2004, 08:29 AM   #209
msv
Cooling Savant

To make a long story short: We are 10 guys/gals here at work who now will drop a total of 72 kilos. One of us aims for 30 kilos all by himself (yeah, right ), so if I loose some 5 kilos I´ve done my part.
wish me luck
Mikael S.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnen mihi habis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 09:49 AM   #210
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

For people who want to add cardio exercise into their routine but don't want to spend an hour per day jogging or riding a bike:

HIIT (High intensity interval training) exploits new research into how exercise burns fat. Experts have traditionally said that low to moderate exercise is best because it burns predominantly fat (and some carbs) while you are working out. Higher rates of exertion burn almost totally carbs. This is true. What they failed to realize though (until recently) is that high impact cardio exercises elevate the metabolism for a long period of time after the workout is done. When this is taken into account, high impact training can burn much more fat after a short workout than a longer low to moderate workout does. This makes sense intuitively; I KNOW that I lost weight when I started adding sprints into my jogging routine back in college when I was working out.

Anyway if you can jog or ride a bike at a moderate level of exertion for 20-25 minutes you are probably capable of doing HIIT (High impact interval training). You do this by warming up for a couple of minutes and then going flat out for one minute. Follow that by returning to a moderate pace for a minute to get your pulse down to the point you can sprint again. Consider 1 rep to be sprint + jog (or pedal ass off + pedal slower). Start off with 3 reps; that's only 8 minutes of exercising even with a 2 minute warmup! Every few days add a rep. I plan on going up to around 14 minutes total (6 reps plus a warmup). It works best if you do it first thing in the morning and then don't eat for an hour.

References:
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/hiit.htm

Even if it only works "as well" as longer moderate exertion then it's a winner in my book. It's a lot more fun to work out in the morning when you can push yourself rather than just sitting around watching tv and going nowhere. It's also a lot easier to find 15 minutes in the morning than it is 45-60.
Unread 01-21-2004, 11:31 AM   #211
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

The Atkins Diet will be shown Thursday January 22nd at 9pm on BBC2.
interesting blurb here
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 11:52 AM   #212
Tum-0r
Cooling Neophyte

Whats the secret to gain weight? I could use some more ...
Tum-0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #213
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

3 beers/day seems to work pretty well for me tum-0r
Unread 02-17-2004, 09:36 AM   #214
msv
Cooling Savant

Hurrah!!!
Due to Fredrik Paulún, a swedish nutriologist (I never learn to spell that one), whisky has no carbonhydrates *whatsoever*!!!
Sometimes life is really beautiful.
Let´s see what he says ´bout cigars. Hehe
By the way, I´ve lost 4 kilos this month.
regards
Mikael S.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnen mihi habis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote