Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

View Poll Results: Browser Of Choice
Internet Explorer 23 14.94%
Mozilla 121 78.57%
Netscape 4 2.60%
Whats a bloody browser m8? 7 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-04-2004, 09:36 PM   #51
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Adblock is good stuff. There's a similar extension for flash.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 11:46 PM   #52
mastermind2004
Cooling Neophyte

Still using IE. I think it has something to do with the fact that I have everything saved in IE, and don't want to bother porting it to Firefox. I also don't really find the tabbed browsing that useful, or any of the other features. The Google Toolbar handles popups and searching for me, and that's good enough. I've also got my computer doing spyware/virus/adware scans nightly, and it automatically fixes things, so it's not a big deal.
mastermind2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 12:27 PM   #53
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Firefox can automatically import all your bookmarks, from IE (as well as other browsers).
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 01:26 PM   #54
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

You generally dont find tabbed browsing useful until you've used firefox for a while - I couldnt use anything else now, tabbed browsing is too convieniant, especially when you're doing some kind of research work, and want to have 10 pages open at once, along with open office, photoshop, freehand and solidworks. 15 things in your system bar isnt pretty at 1024x768- 6 is much more managable.
Unread 11-06-2004, 11:47 AM   #55
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yep. When I go through eBay for testing equipment, I need multiple screens to look up the specs of a particular product: tabbed browsing makes it much, much easier.
Unread 11-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #56
mastermind2004
Cooling Neophyte

I've used the tabbed browsing, and I find that I tend to lose tabs, and forget about them, whereas if I have them arrayed in the task bar they are easier to find. I also have a widescreen, meaning more programs fit nicely.
mastermind2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 04:55 PM   #57
cartch
Cooling Neophyte

Default IE vs firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeek
Which browser do you prefer?
OK...don't get me wrong...I love the fact that there are other options out there besides Microsoft products, but, when it comes to a browser, why can't we just go with one and one only. It's ridiculous. Browsers are free...let's just use one so that developers like me can write code that works with one and only one. We need a standard out there for browsers. IE is so much more superior than ANY browser out there. I downloaded firefox....because of the hype, I admit...I've viewed 10 different sites that I frequent on a daily basis.....5 of them had some sort of problem dealing with firefox...javascript issues, etc.

Bottom line....let's just give Microsoft the credit when it comes to the browser and lets all start using it, and only it! It's FREE! As for their other products like Office, go ahead.....use alternatives. I'm now using openeoffice because I hate the fact that Microsoft rips us all off with their price.

thanks
cartch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 07:02 PM   #58
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

i will only get back to IE when it gets tabbed.
Unread 11-10-2004, 11:12 PM   #59
superart
Cooling Savant

If you guys haven't tried Opera since version7 came out, you really really really need to give it another chance. Its much improved, and I'd say 99% of the bugs have been fixed. And for the rare occasion when you do experience something weird, you can just pop open IE or FF right quick.

I started using it around late5.x/early6.x. IMO, it is the best browser.

All the "cool new and unique" features that FF now has, such as integrated google search, tabs, popup blocker, mouse gestures, etc. were all implemented on Opera before FF even existed. IMO the popup blocker in FF is inferior to Opera. Also, FF doesn't auto save your session, which is lame.

As for the add bar, it really isn't noticeable. Its just a small google text add. All of the top bars put together take up as much space as the default IE setup.

Supergeek, mouse gestures are like teh sex. It's awkward at first, but once you get the hang of it, you wont be able to live without them. If I'm ever stuck using a computer w/o gestures, I still do them. Like a person used to driving stick reaches for the shifter even if hes driving an auto car.

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2004, 12:48 AM   #60
Kobuchi
Cooling Savant

I currently use IE, launching out of an expanding folder tree in my taskbar (thus no home page). I usually have multiple instances open, like tabs, and don't notice a drain on system resources.

"All of the top bars put together take up as much space as the default IE setup."

Well, that's something I appretiate. I want to try the browser with the largest viewing pane. Which is it? I assume "tabs" just means a second taskbar. :shrug:
Kobuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2004, 05:59 PM   #61
superart
Cooling Savant

If screen real estate is your primary concern, then taking a bit of time with IE will give you the largest view pane.

Refer to my pic. Compare my IE setup to my Opera setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scrn.jpg (191.2 KB, 38 views)

Unread 11-11-2004, 07:50 PM   #62
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanicoo
i will only get back to IE when it gets tabbed.
Then add "Crazy Browser" to it.
Unread 11-12-2004, 07:11 AM   #63
webworm99
Cooling Neophyte

On the Mozalla Screen problem.
You can get themes to show more of the screen . I use pinball on mine.

On Internet explorer,
You can only use pop-up blocking on windows xp sp2.
They do not have tab browsing. You can get hoods for I.E. that have that feature.

I can finally say this after the release of Firefox 1.0
I use firefox the most. (I was real surprised that I do)
I had 10 or more tabs open at once

One little bug. On some sites. (Not this site) The font is real tiny.
webworm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #64
superart
Cooling Savant

Also, a big problem I have experienced with FF is if you click on a link that automaticly opens in a new window, one of two possible things happens.

If you have the popup blocker turned on, the new window will be blocked.

If popup blocker is off, instead of opening in a new tab, the link opens in an entirely new browser window.

**These bugs may have been solved since the last time I used FF. If so, please disregard this message.

Unread 11-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #65
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

The Crazy Browser extension to IE has one advantage over Firefox: you can re-order the tabs.

I don't know of a way to do it in Firefox, but I never seem to need it, until I start using IE... go figure!
Unread 11-12-2004, 04:34 PM   #66
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
The Crazy Browser extension to IE has one advantage over Firefox: you can re-order the tabs.

I don't know of a way to do it in Firefox, but I never seem to need it, until I start using IE... go figure!
ehhhm, those of you (yes you Ben ) that do not use the Tabbed browsing Extension for Firefox are missing the boat. IMO this is one of the best extensions for Firefox. http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_tabextensions.html.en And yes, you can reorder the tabs.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 07:33 PM   #67
Kobuchi
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1
Tabbed browsing... one of the best extensions for Firefox.
I still don't understand how "tabs" differ from IE instances crammed into the taskbar, in how they're used. This is not an argument, this is an appeal for some explanation. :shrug:
Kobuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #68
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobuchi
I still don't understand how "tabs" differ from IE instances crammed into the taskbar, in how they're used. This is not an argument, this is an appeal for some explanation. :shrug:
OK, If I have 10 sites open in IE, I will have 10 IE instances in the taskbar. That sucks. I usually will also have Photoshop, OUtlook, quark, mirc, and other things open too. It makes the taskbar easier to deal with. With FF, all the sites stay in one window, to me it is a much better solution. Plus, IE is riddled with holes like swiss cheese, not only that, it is the browser most target for vulnerabilities.

E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #69
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

I am hooked on firefox and thanks for the tab extentions nik.
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2004, 02:48 AM   #70
aaronspink
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Adblock is good stuff. There's a similar extension for flash.
Also don't forget ctrl+shift+f to disable/enable flash.
aaronspink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2004, 02:54 AM   #71
aaronspink
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1
ehhhm, those of you (yes you Ben ) that do not use the Tabbed browsing Extension for Firefox are missing the boat. IMO this is one of the best extensions for Firefox. http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_tabextensions.html.en And yes, you can reorder the tabs.
Othe extentions that are phenom:

Super DragandGo: a quick click and drag an any link will other it in another tab (which placement options if you want), hilight any non link url and then drag them to open them in a tab, hilight any text and drag to web search it.

BBCode is nice for boards such as this one, adds all the BBcodes as a right click.

Tab Clicking Options: allows more control of how tabs are handled.

FoxyTunes: fully integrates most music players into the browser. pretty nice extension.
aaronspink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2004, 11:46 AM   #72
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

There are some more EXCELLENT extensions I have found:

Bugmenot: right click in username/passwords for sites and it'll put in a working registration. This is great for newspapers and other sites that require free registration to read articles.

PrefButtons: This gives you the ability to add tons of features to the toolbar as a button. The killer feature is a "Send referer" checkbox. You can uncheck it and your browser won't send referring page information and pages that normally require "drag n drop" to work will just load right up. So, for example, you can click on images hosted on geocities without getting an error. This isn't always a good idea though as some sites will not allow you access unless you tell them the referrer. So the ability to check it on/off when needed is killer.

A somewhat related extension is

spoofX: This spoofs a URL as coming from itself. For quite a few pay websites (*cough* pr0n *cough*) you can get full access by just spoofing your referral as being from the members link. Not saying that this is ethical, but hey free high res pr0n!

Thumbs: Speaking of pr0n, there is an extension that turns a link into a thumbnail of an image that's on the page. So if, for example, you had a page of pr0n links, this extension would convert that page into a large number of thumbnail preview images. You can quickly choose your own adventure that way rather than being surprised by what's behind the link.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 06:21 PM   #73
mashie
Cooling Savant

The tab browsing in FF is great but since it can't handle HTTPS when a proxy is configured it is completely useless for my needs.
Unread 02-17-2005, 01:28 AM   #74
msv
Cooling Savant

We have some troubles with an old application that uses macros in Office 97. A webinterface on that application can´t use those macros with IE6.0, but it runs beautifully with Firefox 1.0.
The only thing I´ve found that doesn´t work with Firefox is the "Build Your own car"-function at www.audi.se, that requires IE.
regards
Mikael S.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnen mihi habis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 03:15 AM   #75
Susquehannock
Cooling Neophyte

Firefox all the way!

Never liked iE and used Opera browser but it was glitchy. The only problem with
FF 1.0 is that some webpages don't support it.