Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 02-15-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
MiniMike
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 4000 Doorstop ?

Hi there,

I'm after some advice for my Snap 4000 which I got off Ebay ( with no hdds ) In the manual to start the unit you hold down the power button until you get the system LED turn on , well after holdin the button down for ages only the network LED lights up . I have tried connecting with Assist , checking all chips are seated properly and the backup button battery voltage with no success ( backup Voltage was 3V so no problems there ! ).

So the question is ........
Have I saved up for 2 months and paid for an expensive doorstop or can anyone help me get this unit working.

Any help would be appreciated and you would have my eternal gratitude for helping.

thanks !
MiniMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 12:13 AM   #2
esh
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Snap 4000 Doorstop ?

Is the CPU seated properly?

I just bought one, thought it was dead but actually the CPU was just kind of laying on top. I took the fan & heatsink off, then took out the cpu, put it back on and you have to push the lock over once you seat it, then tighten it down real good. Be sure to use the right size screwdriver, you don't want to strip the screws.
esh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 01:38 AM   #3
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMike
Hi there,

I'm after some advice for my Snap 4000 which I got off Ebay ( with no hdds ) In the manual to start the unit you hold down the power button until you get the system LED turn on , well after holdin the button down for ages only the network LED lights up . I have tried connecting with Assist , checking all chips are seated properly and the backup button battery voltage with no success ( backup Voltage was 3V so no problems there ! ).

So the question is ........
Have I saved up for 2 months and paid for an expensive doorstop or can anyone help me get this unit working.

Any help would be appreciated and you would have my eternal gratitude for helping.

thanks !
Well, as ebay says if the product is not as it is described, you should in theory be entitled to your money back, that is unless it was described as dead...

Snap Server 2200 v3.4.807
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
w/ UNIDFC601512M Replacement Fan

"Did you really think it would be that easy??"

Other NAS's
1x NSLU2 w/ 512mb Corsair Flash Voyager
Running Unslung 6.8b

1x NSLU2 w/ 8Gb LaCie Carte Orange
Running Debian/NSLU2 Stable 4.0r0

250GB LaCie Ethernet Disk
Running Windows XP Embedded
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
MiniMike
Cooling Neophyte

Hi Guys ,

Here's what I've tried so far......
1.Checked Battery voltage ( 3V )
2.Checked Power supply voltage ( OK )
3.Checked all ICs are socketed OK
4.Checked and replaced memory
5.Checked HDD cables and installed 4 x 20gig hdd

Now when I press the power button the fans start up , the link light comes on and occasionally the Net light flashes , no system light or Drive ligh comes on.
When I press teh power button again to turn the system off , nothing happens.

I have tried resetting the unit like the manual says but I can't get the System light or Drive light to come on ( I have even continued witht the process just in case the LEDs are faulty )

Can anyone think of anything else I could try as I really want to get this baby running !

Thanks Guys !
MiniMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
esh
Cooling Neophyte

have you just turned the unit on and left it on without messing with it for about 45 minutes?

leave Assist running, it will constantly search for it.

I thought mine was dead for a while when I upgraded the OS... something happened during the upgrade and screwed up... turned it off and back on nothing... left it running and came back and it was showing on assist when I returned. I then reapplied the OS patch and all was good.

You did check the CPU? make sure it is locked into place and the heatsink is on real tight.
esh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
blue68f100
Thermophile

With out system light your sol unless the led is out which is not likly. With clean hd the sys ahd disk should be on.

TEST

Remove all drives. Do a factory reset. Powerup (no drives). Make note of leds.
Use assist to find. If you can not find the server the unit is bad. Allow at least 15 min for discovery.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote