Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 07-20-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
jman1310
Cooling Savant

Default Newly realeased on EBAY: Flow Killer 2005

saw this and thought it might generate a little amusement here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

also anyone looking for a large passive rad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f7_1_b.JPG (23.0 KB, 72 views)
jman1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Delirious
Cooling Savant

Its funny but sad at the same time cause the guy is wasting all this time, materials and effort to produce moderate quantities of what is essentially crap.

The second one is just plain funny
Delirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
AndrewC
Cooling Neophyte

The funny part is that they test with blocks cooling capacity with a blow torch, there is a video on the website halfway down the page.
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
killernoodle
Thermophile

Fetty has been around the block quite a few times, this design is rather old but looks really cool. Plus it has an added benefit of being able to point the tubes in any direction off the block. Still, there are better designs but there is no reason he should be mocked if you've never made a waterblock before and tried to commercialize it.
Unread 07-21-2005, 01:57 AM   #5
jman1310
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Still, there are better designs but there is no reason he should be mocked if you've never made a waterblock before and tried to commercialize it.
i don't know how this matters, i mock other products like Polarflo, the "Clapper" but i've never tried to launch a commercial process. i dislike the idea that people may be buying an inferior product more due to bling factor than actual results using proper testing methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Plus it has an added benefit of being able to point the tubes in any direction off the block.
seems like a very minor advantage...

two major design flaws that come to mind
1. in 6' of copper tubing, 7 coils attach the tubing to the block, only about 1/6 of each coil contacts the block. most w/c systems barely use 6' of hose in their entirety. then consider that it's 6' of continuous turn

2. he uses soldier as a TIM joint between the tubing and the plate

these seem to be significant problems but if you get one to pH and it tests well i'll take my comments back and formally apologize
jman1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
killernoodle
Thermophile

I dont think you're looking a the block like I am. I think the design is more like a maze without all the 90 degree bends to connect the segments. Looks like a 7 pass maze. And there is nothing wrong with solder as a TIM joint, its better than AS5 and stuff in this application because the coils cant be pressed into the base. This is especially good if he used solder with super high silver content..

Hes probably like me, if it cools the CPU to a stable point, then it is working just fine; reguardless of design. I'm sure with my system I could put this block in and witness no change in system stability. Temps mean nothing if lower temps doesnt really do anything. I could care less about the C/W my waterblock is getting in my loop as long as the computer runs at the highest overclock its capable of as quietly as possible. But this, really, is beside the point.
Unread 07-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
Huckleberry
Cooling Neophyte

I love the "counter clockwise for North America." Crap, why didn't I think of that?
On a positive (or maybe less negative) note, I do like the copper coiled look, but have serious doubts about its cooling efficiency.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
Razor6
Cooling Savant

Also radiators

And heatsinks

"All products patent pending"
I'm sure that's a worthwhile endeavour.
Razor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
ljohn787
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor6
"All products patent pending"
I'm sure that's a worthwhile endeavour.
Yeah, lol. Whatever helps him pay the bills...
ljohn787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
RaptorRaider
Cooling Neophyte

Why is this a flow killer?

I may be completely wrong about this, but I always thought power was lost mostly because of differential height (mgh)?

Of course a little bit is lost because of the restriction the internal edges hoses have (yes, I know that sounds confusing), but AFAIK there are much better candidates for 'Flow Killer 2005'.

Sorry for my English. I'm always confused about how to express myself when I'm talking 'scientifically'.
Maybe in this case '(b)rim' is a better word instead of 'internal edge'?
RaptorRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
zackbass
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorRaider
The way I understand it is it's because of the resistance to flow that any length of tubing presents. The longer the tube and the smaller the cross sectional area the greater resistance. Also the tube being that circular shape means more resistance because the momentum of the fluid will keep breaking the flow as it constantly is forced to turn. Those two factors combined make this block a very efficient way to utterly decimate a system's flow. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
zackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 07:18 PM   #12
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

The FCT has been around for a while. Almost as long as socket 478. I've always wanted to try and hook up one of these to a window based HVAC system. I'm not a fan of the design, though I doubt it would kill system flow any more than a RBX (assuming the same tube diameter is used). Solder shouldn't hurt performance THAT much. Maybe a degree.

Quote:
I may be completely wrong about this, but I always thought power was lost mostly because of differential height (mgh)?
I used to think the same thing. This is true only in an open system. In a closed system gravity has no effect on flow rates. This is because at some point the water must go down an equal distance it went up. The water "balances" itself on both sides, causing gravity to have no effect on flow rates.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 08:23 PM   #13
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Torch test... Shesh. How the solder kept from melting is curious.

I really hope he laps those things very very well. With the amount of heat put on them with all that soldering that copper probably warps pretty good.

Of course they claim to be design engineers so......

Anyway hard to slag someone for trying. The thing might actually be worth $25. Hell the copper in those things is probably $8.00 alone.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #14
Bloody_Sorcerer
Cooling Neophyte

I pity the guy, at least he's trying. Though after reading some of his posts (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...1&page=2&pp=30) he creeps me out. He's all hyped up about something about folding@home and the likes as some US conspiracy to genocide off whole ethnicities, said something about SARS being a virus accidentally produced by the chinese or something... he creeps me out.
Bloody_Sorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 01:38 AM   #15
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

Quote:
There is about 6 feet of copper tube on each of these CPU coolers...
Now I am guessing that the tubing is around 1/4" ID copper tubing, so the PD for a straight peice of copper tubing attached via 3/8" ID tubing is easy to calculate.

So, 3LPM gives 1.2m of head (116.8 mbar). 6LPM gives 4.1m (401.4 mbar).
This includes the impact from the entry to the copper tube, but not any additional turbulence impacts from the curving shape. However the tool I use already states the flow as turbulent (R=21,000 @ 6LPM)

To compare, I get the LRR G4 as having 0.912m of head @ 6LPM.
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 06:34 AM   #16
RaptorRaider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxSaleen
I used to think the same thing. This is true only in an open system. In a closed system gravity has no effect on flow rates. This is because at some point the water must go down an equal distance it went up. The water "balances" itself on both sides, causing gravity to have no effect on flow rates.
True... hadn't thought about that.
When water goes up in a closed system, it goes down too.
RaptorRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #17
Joe Camel
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
I pity the guy, at least he's trying. Though after reading some of his posts (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...1&page=2&pp=30) he creeps me out. He's all hyped up about something about folding@home and the likes as some US conspiracy to genocide off whole ethnicities, said something about SARS being a virus accidentally produced by the chinese or something... he creeps me out.
a snip from that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFIII
-snip-
To wet yer whistle... I believe that I have found out some fundamental universal truth(s)... about rotations and poles... and fundamental forces like gravity and rotation(magnatism?:~)... that have faaaaar reaching implications... possibly a new undiscovered energy source(s)... and/or cooling and/or pumping process(s)... and possibly even a new method of propulsion...

It even has deep philosophical implications...

I can tell ya this... I believe that it's about muuuuuchh more than jUSt cooling off computer components... but it's mighty handy that it may prove out to be a new more efficient method of doing that...
-snip-
yep, i think he "creeps me out" too...

but i KNOW i want a "hit" off HIS pipe

A64 Phase cooled:
FX-55 @ 3204MHz (267x12) - MSI Neo2 - MachII - OCZ DDR Booster & VX @ 3.6V , 267 @ 2,2,2,5 1:1 - x800 XT-PE @ 665/608 - DD Maze4 with 172w TEC 14V TEC PSU - 500W X-Connect PSU

A64 Water cooled:
3500 Venice @ 3000MHz (300x10) - DFI LP Ultra-D - Storm G5, D4 pump @ 16V, BIXII, 4x100+ CFM fans - OCZ VX @ 3.6V , 300 5:6 = 250 @ 2,2,2,6 - x850 XT @ 600/630 - socket A HSF & 80mm Tornado , copper mem sinks - OCZ 600W PSU
Joe Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 03:48 PM   #18
cristoff
Cooling Savant

I had similar ideas a long time ago but after some RESEARCH and actually THINKING it through I came up with BETTER ideas... damn this dude's a tard...
Unread 07-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #19
RADCOM
Cooling Neophyte

Well someone's bought them! It just goes to show you know what you know (or have been told) until you know better If your only worried about bling factor then it does look " unusual"
I was quite happy with my Innovatek rev 3 until I looked at the charts here......... mind you that was over 3 years ago.
RADCOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #20
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Magnetism aside, as I posted in the OC thread, this design *might* make an interesting pumpless design, for those noise fanatics. It'd need to be thoroughly tested though.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 05:29 PM   #21
Althornin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorRaider

Of course a little bit is lost because of the restriction the internal edges hoses have (yes, I know that sounds confusing), but AFAIK there are much better candidates for 'Flow Killer 2005'.

Sorry for my English. I'm always confused about how to express myself when I'm talking 'scientifically'.
Maybe in this case '(b)rim' is a better word instead of 'internal edge'?
component height is irrelevant in an inline/sealed/loop system.
only matters for something like a bong setup.
This about it - while the pump may be "pushing" water up to the radiator, say, it also gets a "boost" when the same water "falls" back down to the pump. This balances out, so net head loss from varying heights of components is nada.

Last edited by Althornin; 07-26-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Althornin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #22
cotdt
Cooling Neophyte

Default hmmm

You know, this block might actually be a good choice for silence enthusiasts since it kinda also serves as a mini-radiator. As for flowkiller, no it will not kill flow in a closed loop. In fact, it will do better than most of the restrictive blocks. This I am sure of. Not sure about performance though, because I've never seen such waterblocks. Any experts here care to give their opinion of the performance of this block?
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 10:20 PM   #23
LPorc
Cooling Neophyte

Hmmmm...

How bad can it be? Looking at his numbers, and even taking into account the wild margins of error, it still consistently performs better than standard heatsink air.

Sure, aside from the bling factor there's not much to it. Lots of designs would smoke it in a pure performance test. It's a Volkswagen Bug, and you're all Ferrari enthusiasts.
LPorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2005, 06:31 AM   #24
JFettig
Cooling Savant

hmm, a while ago Rogerdugans did a review:
http://www.wc101.com/reviews/FCTReview/

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #25
Razor6
Cooling Savant

I had to laugh a little at the prototype twin-tube block in that review. It is as if that guy saw how performance blocks almost always have a center inlet and thought that splitting the flow in the middle would give the block better performance.
Razor6 is offline   Reply With Quote