Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 01-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
zutt

Default Snapserver 4000 (New disks)

Hello forum,

I own a snapserver 4000 ( 4 * 20 GB / RAID 5) and would lke to upgrade the disks.
The problem is that i have to buy 4 new disk (80 or 120 GB) and if it doesn't work
i ' am stuck with the disks. Thats why i'am looking for a much as in formation i can get.

Questions:

1) Does it work with for example 7200 speed maxtor or seagate disks?

2) Does someone has some documentation on how to do it.

3) Is heat of any importance? ( the current disk are 4500 speed disks .
replacing them with for example maxtor would increase the heat won't it?

Any help much appreciated!

Henny Zutt
Hilversum, The Netherlands
zutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2004, 01:39 PM   #2
CM
Cooling Neophyte

check out this thread

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1929

Looks like the key is to use IDE disks not EIDE and it should work fine.
CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
edcetera
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by zutt
Hello forum,

I own a snapserver 4000 ( 4 * 20 GB / RAID 5) and would lke to upgrade the disks.
The problem is that i have to buy 4 new disk (80 or 120 GB) and if it doesn't work
i ' am stuck with the disks. Thats why i'am looking for a much as in formation i can get.

Questions:

Henny Zutt

Hello Henny

I just put 4 x 120 gig Western Digital drives in a 4100, no problems, they automatically configured themsleves.

/ Ed
edcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
rami
Cooling Neophyte

i have have 2 4100's with 120gig drives in them, no mods were needed, just installed and they formated and installed.

its larger drives you may have an issue with (formating over 130gig)
rami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
wozzy_wombat
Cooling Neophyte

I'm running 4 180GB IBM 7200RPM drives in mine with no problems. It sees the drives as 130GB, but runs just fine for prolonged periods with no dramas.

Upgrading a 4000 is fairly straightforward. First, open up the server and pay attention to the jumpering of the drives. There are two kinds of 4000's I've encountered. They both have 2 IDE channels just like a PC, but the later version supports cable select whilst the earlier ones are master/slave. If you get this right then just jumper the new drives the same way and let the server format them for you. You should get 4 drives formatted to a max capacity of ~ 130 GB.

If you can not discern the jumper settings from the drives, as some of the Quantum drives are obscure in this regard, go to the Maxtor website and down load the data sheet as you will be frustrated in your attempt of you get this wrong.

It takes a long time to do this, so budget a good 4 hours to format the drives and then longer if you wish to configure them in RAID 5. It took overnight to build the array when I did this.

Make sure you have a copy of Snap Assist that works with your server, and be sure that there are no connectivity issues preventing you from seeing the server on your network. If it is running fine and rebooting normally before the upgrade you will have no problems. I would assign a non-conflicting IP address before starting the upgrade just to be sure you can re-connect. Whilst the server is reformatting, you can view the disk status from the browser admin console.

Good luck to you!

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zutt
Hello forum,

Questions:

Henny Zutt
wozzy_wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
jutland
Cooling Neophyte

Is the 130 LBA addressing limit in both the 4000 and the 4100 or just the 4100? I have (4) 160 GB drives I'd like to use in a RAID5 config, but before I buy a 4000 I wantto know I can use them to full capacity.

Also, does any one have the physical dimensions fo the 4000 and the 4100? I'm concerned about the depth (vs height) I know they're ~19" wide and either 1U or ~4U, but my server closet isn't deep enough to handle the usual rack depth. I only have about 15" of usable shelf depth.

Thanks,
-markr

Last edited by jutland; 07-29-2005 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typos
jutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
aznwizkid
Cooling Neophyte

Markr and Henney,
This is a rehash of stuff from other forums, the major snap 1000 forum and another snap 4100 thread that has been running.

1) if you want drive larger then 120gb then you have to have snap server os 4 or higher, so 4.0.829 etc, I don't believe any of the version 3 os will suppor the lba48 addressing.
2) if you already have a version 4 os, then like edcetera said, just swap them out and start it up they will automatically reconfigure,
3) side note to wozzy_wombat if you want ur drives to see all 180gb, you can copy all ur data off, then you can reset all server and get all 180gb, if you are interested let me know, I just finished setting up my 4000 with 4x200gb drives and I can use all 200gb, (snap os 4.0.829).
4) the 130gb lba48 restricition is only on the 4100, not on the 4000, with the right snap server os you can use those 160gb no problem.

PM me or post if you guys have any questions.
aznwizkid is offline   Reply With Quote