Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 10-31-2002, 12:45 PM   #1
Gauntlet4342
Cooling Neophyte

New case, needs to be silent, clean, and cool

Ok here goes. I'm getting a new case, the same one used in the Black Ice project on this site: Here's the link

I know this case has pretty poor cooling with default fan spots for a 90mm in the front mobo side and 2x80mm in the back on the component side. Here's what I'm thinking (water cooling not an option):
1 90mm in front mobo spot
1 90mm in side panel approx in the middle back over the AGP port
1 90mm on bottom of case/ middle on the component side (case on wheels)
2x80mm in the back componenet side

Should I include some ducting on the mobo side? Is there a better layout for the fan location?

Now on to the Silent requierment. I'm considering using PAPST ultra low noise fans all around. Are these the best/quietest. The machine can run a little warn, quietness is the big concern.

I'm also going to be installing Dynamat all around the case's outfacing surfaces to reduces noise and vibration. Should I also use some noise reduction material on top of the Dynamat to further reduce noise?

Clean stuff. Are those aluminum mesh screen any good? Do they impact on the CFM?

Also any ideas are welcome. Thanks a bunch!
Radeon AIW 8500 128
Audigy XGamer w/Digital I/O
2x Maxtor 80GB 72000
Plextor 48X24X40 CD/RW
Creative Encore 12x DVD
Enermax 430W Whisper PSU
Gauntlet4342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 12:56 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Welcome to Pro/Cooling!

I take it that watercooling isn't doing it for you!

First, for the fans, you want one that'll give the most flow for the lowest noise. If you search through here, you'll find a link to a chart of many fans, based on their specs. The idea is that regardless of their noise at 12V, the voltage can be adjusted to meet a maximum noise level. The bottom fan is counter-productive: it'll either suck up dust, or disrupt proper flow of air through the case.

Again, look into squirrel cage type blowers. www.deltaww.com. Most pressure/flow for noise than any of the above.

Ducting the CPU HS helps.

The dynamat should be additional to all the other precautions you've taken to eliminate vibrations throughout the case. You may not need any at all. Think about rubber mounting hard drives. Hot glue those loose 5 1/4 bay plates.

The theory behing the matting is this: if you're trying to block a high frequency noise, you want a solid object (metal plate). To block a low frequency noise, you want soft materials (like the matting).

Good luck, and keep us posted!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote