Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 09-18-2002, 11:37 PM   #1
YellaT
Cooling Neophyte

Default CC Switch

Im trying to combine two cold cathcolds into one switch. i know how to do it, but don't know if the results are going to be desirable. do i want the seperate wires (two red two black) comming from the inverter to touch each other. ie: each red touches each other and each black touches eachother. will this cause problems when the circut is completed and the wires are going full on through? im noob and i can't figure this out!
YellaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2002, 09:19 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

A pic might have been helpful.

It sounds like your inverter has 2 outputs. If that's the case, you probably don't want to connect them together. Use a set for each cold cathode.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 01:33 AM   #3
YellaT
Cooling Neophyte

Um....this is my simpleton paint show of what i mean....

sad sad drawing, do you get what im trying to do? will it explode my colds?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint.jpg (35.7 KB, 60 views)
YellaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 09:09 AM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

LOL!

Ok, is there a seperate wire for the power source?

If your question is about hooking up the two red wires together, and the two black ones together, for the switch, then yes, that should do it. To verify it, expose the wires, and touch them together.

If it's a problem, then use a DPDT switch.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 02:35 PM   #5
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Your inverter sounds like it has the ability to power two CCFL tubes, which is unusual. Most CCFL inverters are really cheap devices that would overheat or improperly power more than one CCFL. I'll assume that it does have two outputs and is designed to do that. If you are not *sure*, then contact the place you bought your CCFL's and inverter.

If the inverter is 12V powered, you need to have the switch on the INPUT side of the inverter. So, you need to switch the 12VDC power going to the inverter, not the high voltage output from the inverter.

Now, I don't know what kind of switch you bought. The switch might by double throw or single throw, and it might be single pole or double pole. Look here for an explanation of throws and poles.

Basically, you could get by with a cheap single throw single pole switch. You would have the inverter's ground wire (black) connected directly to the black wire of a standard 4-wire PC molex plug. Then, connect the YELLOW wire of the PC molex plug (12VDC) to one connecter on a single throw single pole switch. Then, connect the inverter's other input wire (red?) to the other connector on the switch.

At this point, the switch controls whether the inverter gets power or not. The inverter is always connected to ground, but the switch interrupts the power coming from the 12VDC line from your computer.

Is that what you were looking for?
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 05:07 AM   #6
dreamie
Cooling Neophyte

I recommend that u get one of those multiplexer with 2 poles at the center and 4 at the side (2 for ea pole)

Connect 2 of ur CC together using a molex which u will crimp urself, or buy a Y one, and solder the 12V and 0V to the outer poles, as in the diagram. connect the source to the center poles. When u move to position 1, it will be off, to position 2, it will be on.. i find it cool though..

it is only my suggestions, not inviting flames!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powercc.jpg (19.1 KB, 30 views)
dreamie is offline   Reply With Quote