Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 11-07-2001, 11:53 AM   #1
cottonda
Cooling Neophyte

Default Case modding 101

Still a bit of a newbie to this case moddin thing, but I am gettin there. My big question is how are y'all (I'm in Texas you know) cutting the holes in your case tops and sides? Last time I checked a plasma cutter was not a household item. Thanks for any hints, tips, tricks, etc.

David

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: DAC ]
Unread 11-07-2001, 02:30 PM   #2
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

I use a dremel. It is a rotary cutting tool. It works great for cutting most metal, even though the actual cutting blades wear down easily. They are very cheap though. If I have long straight lines to cut, I use a jigsaw. You can do most kinds of cutting and make the cuts look nice if you have the following:

a dremel w/ a flex shaft
a jigsaw
a file
sandpaper

Of course plasma cutters are preferable .
-Kevin
Unread 11-07-2001, 02:44 PM   #3
cottonda
Cooling Neophyte

That was kinda what I had figured, but most of your cuts as well as others I have seen looked too nice to be jigsaw/dremel.

Next question is where do you get the rubber grommit for around the windows and how do you mount the plexy?

Thanks,

DAC
Unread 11-07-2001, 03:19 PM   #4
Kevin

Yah dremel/jigsaw cuts often look rough, but if you've seen some of the work i've done, I always try to hide the rough edges... For example on my cube case, there are a bunch of holes. The ones on the front bezel have molding around them and swirly fan grills to make them look nice. The ones behind the bezel are not visible so they don't look the greatest. The ones on the top use the fan grills to cover up their edges. The window cut has molding. All the other cuts are not visible.

Now onto windows... there are two ways of doing it. The first way is to cut the window, and then cut the hole the same size, but a little larger. Then get molding and have the window lock into place. The second way is to cut the window shape and to just get a large rectangle of plexi/acrylic and glue it onto the inside of the case. Then you would line the edges with a different kind of molding. Either way works. I bought a kit from www.pcmods.com .
-Kevin
Unread 11-08-2001, 05:59 PM   #5
RedTalon19
Cooling Neophyte

give me a dremel, 20 cutting bits, a compass (to draw outline) a case and about 3 hours i can make a 120mm hole that looks like it was done with a holesaw. its tough work tryin to hold that dremel steady after the 1st hour but it can be done.

and make sure all the parts are out of your case before you do any cutting unless you want metal filings in all your components
Unread 11-08-2001, 11:41 PM   #6
imagex
Cooling Savant

dremel dremel dremel
Unread 11-09-2001, 05:27 AM   #7
Butcher
Thermophile

Surely it's cheaper to buy a holesaw than a dremel + 20 cutting bits?
Unread 11-09-2001, 08:59 AM   #8
cottonda
Cooling Neophyte

Well after much research etc. I have taken the plunge... I have all of my sand paper, paint (primer etc), couple of hole saws, not enough grommits yet, still need window moulding, but i am getting there. This weekend will be the sacrificial cuts for blow holes (2 120mm) and some holes for better placement of the case fans. I will try to take some pictures and eventually have them available. Thanks for all of the help and tips from the forum.
Unread 11-12-2001, 05:09 PM   #9
dantheman
Cooling Savant

Check out www.jesder.com

He has a great guide for dremel stuff from delicate cuts to blow holes. Most of his stuff is done towards makeing pictures for lights to shine through though.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2001, 05:11 PM   #10
Kevin

I would really reccommend a dremel over a hole saw...
-kev
Unread 11-12-2001, 09:35 PM   #11
Poopyhead
Cooling Neophyte

Plasmacutter = burnt paint---BAD!

I prefer a Greenlee panelpunch (common tool for electricians, got a pal?) cuts a perfect 80-92-120mm hole in seconds, no electricity involved, clean no smoothing involved quick and easy---

Next choice--Jigsaw OR Dremel (good luck on that HX08 case)---
Not a choice---> Holesaw---go for it dummy!

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Poopyhead ]
Unread 11-12-2001, 10:24 PM   #12
Butcher
Thermophile

What's wrong with holesaws?
Unread 11-25-2001, 09:33 PM   #13
grep
Cooling Neophyte

holesaw in a handheld drill wobbles pretty badly and seldom cuts a clean hole, at the moment of break-through it never breaks-through evenly and often jams, and if the panel is not held with clamps things will get ugly quickly, in a drill press its still true but not as severe.