Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
Jag
Cooling Savant

Default Rad with integrated pump. Feasible/Advantages?

Don't know if someone has ever talked about this subject.
I've seen in the Stewart Components web site their integrated cooling approach, and asked myself if it could be used in WC.

A concept like Sanyo Denki that features a very small pump is also a candidate:

As pumps will get smaller, no doubt following the recent trend (Laing DDC), one would avoid pressure losses from tubing, possible cavitation and the use of a reservoir and the pump would work as efficiently as it could.

What are your opinions on this?
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 05:05 PM   #2
Lothar5150
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
Don't know if someone has ever talked about this subject.
I've seen in the Stewart Components web site their integrated cooling approach, and asked myself if it could be used in WC.

A concept like Sanyo Denki that features a very small pump is also a candidate:

As pumps will get smaller, no doubt following the recent trend (Laing DDC), one would avoid pressure losses from tubing, possible cavitation and the use of a reservoir and the pump would work as efficiently as it could.

What are your opinions on this?
I think that full integration of all components works well if and only if you have a cassis designed with an integrated module in mind. The new G-5 best demonstrates this concept.

I think that the PC liquid cooling market will integrate some components but the major driving factor in design will be plug and play items based on standard cassis configurations and geared toward modders and high-end PC manufacturers. Because there are many styles of cassis, I think it would be almost impossible to build an integrated high performance module around ATX or BTX standard (I use that term very loosely).
Lothar5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
Jag
Cooling Savant

But Lothar5150, plug and play items or maybe standardization inherently imply some type of integration, or don't they?
In your opinion, the right time for a compact WC setup hasn't arrived (no consumer demand for this type of product) or it's because of modders that such commercial attempt hasn't been tried.

I ask this because in a way it's paradoxal that the true advances in WC come from the efforts of trying to present a compact WC setup.

Seems that the WC PC market is very fragmented and acts like a predator (no intelectual work and practical results), only uses the work of others.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Lothar5150
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
But Lothar5150, plug and play items or maybe standardization inherently imply some type of integration, or don't they?
Yes, plug and play items must be standardizes for example bay reservoirs are made to the same specifications as any 5.25" device. I think that it only implies integration to the extent that the item works with a standard case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
In your opinion, the right time for a compact WC setup hasn't arrived (no consumer demand for this type of product) or it's because of modders that such commercial attempt hasn't been tried. I ask this because in a way it's paradoxal that the true advances in WC come from the efforts of trying to present a compact WC setup.

It seems that there have been a number of commercial attempts at integrated units. The problem is some very well established physics is in the way of progress. Sadly most of the large companies are pretty clueless when it comes to making a performance product. I suppose that is good for some of us.

A good portion of Thermal Dynamics is a simple balancing act when it comes to the math. You can use small radiators but the trade off will be the need for high CFM fans and there is a limit to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
Seems that the WC PC market is very fragmented and acts like a predator (no intellectual work and practical results), only uses the work of others.
When it comes to water blocks, I tend to agree. Some of the other products are just standard items OEM items.
Lothar5150 is offline   Reply With Quote