Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 06-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Default Cathar and Canadian customs

Bah. Package arrived today from Australia to me. A couple of review wbs on loan from cathar. $50 in "duty" to receive. How lame. It's sitting at Canada Post still
Unread 06-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Bah. Package arrived today from Australia to me. A couple of review wbs on loan from cathar. $50 in "duty" to receive. How lame. It's sitting at Canada Post still
Just PM me your paypal ID and I'll pay it for you.

Silly customs crap. Hard to get around it though when you have to declare an adequate insured value....

I remember when I moved back to Australia from the USA, my company mailed my laptop to me 'cos I didn't have enough room for it on the plane. Australian Customs insisted that someone pay $1000 in import duties for the laptop, even though I told them that it was a leased laptop and was returning to the USA in 9 months when its lease was up and that I had travelled to Australia with it on business numerous times in the past....

Customs just want their money, as always...
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

They have been raping me lately. I had them open up a package from JayDee and re-evaluate it to be JUST over the amount required to pay duty. Stupid. My wife is calling customs to see if there is anything that can be done about the fees (doubtful). In any case I'll get the package this afternoon. This will give me something to do this week
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

watchout cathar if you screw with pH he will turn all Liquid3d on your ass hehehe

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
Cathar
Thermophile

Well I've just sent him the money to cover it if necessary.
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #6
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

That should keep me biased for at least a little while.

I swear Canada is like a ****ing third world country in some ways...
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
They have been raping me lately. I had them open up a package from JayDee and re-evaluate it to be JUST over the amount required to pay duty.
Don't get them to open up this one. If they recognise the Cascade SS as silver, they'll probably reject import on the basis that it's not hallmarked, or something like that. In any event, being silver it'll probably attract the super-special customs gang-rape tax.
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
Joe

or just dissapear

Unread 06-08-2004, 01:10 PM   #9
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

haha. Ok I have the scoop now. Since these blocks are being returned after testing, I can submit a copy of this customs bill, the shipping bill for return to you, and some forms and get a refund for the customs charges. Eventually... If it happens then I'll refund you happily Cathar; I am not too optimistic on this though.
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
haha. Ok I have the scoop now. Since these blocks are being returned after testing, I can submit a copy of this customs bill, the shipping bill for return to you, and some forms and get a refund for the customs charges. Eventually... If it happens then I'll refund you happily Cathar; I am not too optimistic on this though.
Sounds "hopeful". I guess, at least, that any such paperwork may prevent me from being charged customs duty on my own stuff being sent back to me in Australia.

In any event, just hold onto the cash for now to fund the return postage costs if you get the refund.
Unread 06-08-2004, 01:18 PM   #11
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default What's sad about all this...

Quote:
You know, by the time they get done printing and handing you all this paper, then the three or four people it will take to shuffle it, put in a file cabinet, get it back out of said file cabinet..etc.; they will have spent $100 in costs to get $50 out of you for the time you have it, just to give the $50 back...ah, the gov.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #12
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

speaking of strange customs...Prisoners have a union in .Au?
Unread 06-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #13
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
They have been raping me lately. I had them open up a package from JayDee
Speaking of which, did you get my PM. If you don't want to ship them from WA then ship them from Canada? Either way I will cover the shipping and then some.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 07:50 PM   #14
frenchnew
Cooling Neophyte

We have the same in Canada so they are not alone with the Prisoner Human Rights group.

How nice of a place to live in, criminals have more rights then honest people!

To return to the subject at hand, a quick suggestion for custom declaration if you are going to return it afterwards;

Sample material for laboratory analysis . Not for Resale.

If they do charge you custom like above, it will take about 6 months to get a credit after you file the proper forms.

Best regards

frenchnew
Unread 06-08-2004, 08:01 PM   #15
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000
You know, by the time they get done printing and handing you all this paper, then the three or four people it will take to shuffle it, put in a file cabinet, get it back out of said file cabinet..etc.; they will have spent $100 in costs to get $50 out of you for the time you have it, just to give the $50 back...ah, the gov.
welcome to the wonderful world of bureauocracy....

the $50 (or not) is merely a by-product of their function which is to spend the $100: all vote-funded organisations are the same...
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #16
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default I'll still take it though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenton
welcome to the wonderful world of bureauocracy....

the $50 (or not) is merely a by-product of their function which is to spend the $100: all vote-funded organisations are the same...

I bitch about the gov a lot, and it deserves its criticisms; but I just got done reading some articles about North Korea and the goverment there. I'll take an elected bureacracy any day. They just got done banning cell phones there this week, for all ten people who had them. No water-cooled computing to surf the internet, or computing, or internet for that matter. Food's kinda hard to come by as well. Contrast that with the South.

Yeah, I'm not crying too much about it. At least we have the chance to improve our bureacracies without getting shot in a gulag.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 09:27 PM   #17
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000
I bitch about the gov a lot, and it deserves its criticisms; but I just got done reading some articles about North Korea and the goverment there. I'll take an elected bureacracy any day. They just got done banning cell phones there this week, for all ten people who had them. No water-cooled computing to surf the internet, or computing, or internet for that matter. Food's kinda hard to come by as well. Contrast that with the South.

Yeah, I'm not crying too much about it. At least we have the chance to improve our bureacracies without getting shot in a gulag.
Yeh in most countries you get locked up for speaking lies... in N Korea you get locked up if you speak the truth about the outside world.!

Unread 06-08-2004, 10:28 PM   #18
j813
Cooling Savant

I thought most of the North America don't have such prob with the Customs(Gov't Pepol). Umm I wonder how will it be here in my place.
j813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 06:50 AM   #19
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchnew
We have the same in Canada so they are not alone with the Prisoner Human Rights group.

How nice of a place to live in, criminals have more rights then honest people!

To return to the subject at hand, a quick suggestion for custom declaration if you are going to return it afterwards;

Sample material for laboratory analysis . Not for Resale.

If they do charge you custom like above, it will take about 6 months to get a credit after you file the proper forms.

Best regards

frenchnew
I've also dealt with Canada and US customs, and I can vouge for the above.

It's also a lot easier if you get the right form filled out the first time around. I remember Fedex being a pretty good source of info for this.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote