Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 06-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
iroc409
Cooling Savant

Default mystery of the roaming fonts and disappeary stuff!

ok, recently got a fresh copy of win xp pro, and office 2003. reinstalled everything, and had quite a whee of a time. now i'm having some serious issues lol. i'm thinking it's either a virus or my vid card is about to eat it.

basically, in the latest version of firefox, my default font keeps changing. sometimes it's hard to read, sometimes not, and usually seems to affect bolded text more than anything. but it also appear that i can't have any sort of serif fonts, everything is sans-serif (duh).

in outlook 03, the far right navigation panel disappears, so i just have a blank gray background. it'll kinda flash up sometimes for a fraction of a second, but i can't get it to reappear. and now also explorer is having issues displaying things. it seems that _mostly_ it can't display any sort of dynamic stuff, code-driven things (but some things i'm not sure if they are or not - things are just not there).

and, i only have one game installed, command & conquer generals ZH, and if i play it, it plays ok, but some of the letters during gameplay are missing. like, if you mouse over a control or something, the help window pops up to explain what it is, (if you've played you should know what i'm talking about), and usually a letter or two is just plain missing. same if you open the general's promotion window - the box that shows how many points you have is just plain empty. the box and background are there, but the box is empty.

in word '03, opening a new document and just typing some random crap in times new roman gets results that look kinda like arial, and not times new roman (times IS a serif font - correct?).

anyways, not really sure what's going on. i've run grisoft's avg antivirus, the free version, and it hasn't found anything. i've been behind a nat router and installed software firewall immediately after install. is there something i'm missing, or is this characteristic of a dead (dying) display card?

anyways, if you can help, i'd appreciate it. sounds like the display, so i might just pick up a temporary card and see if that fixes it. thanks for any input ahead of time. i'm also going to see if i can re-download times new roman, and maybe that just got hosed (but doesn't explain the mysterious disappearing stuff).

thanks! :shrug:
Unread 06-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
iroc409
Cooling Savant

fixed the fonts, for now anyways, but stuff is still disappeary. i guess i'll reinstall office and not use IE? lol.

repaired office, then reinstalled, no change. the 'navigation pane' appears briefly on startup, then disappears - with its space held. if i hide then reveal, outlook shrinks/adds space for the pane, but the pane doesn't appear. probably have to reinstall windows (again!) or something like that.

mozilla fonts are still roaming in some cases, but it's a lot better than it was.

huzzah!

Last edited by iroc409; 06-21-2004 at 03:50 PM.
iroc409 is offline   Reply With Quote