Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 06-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
rspitz
Cooling Neophyte

Best way to backup a SnapServer 410?

Hi,

we currently operate one SnapServer 410 (GOS 5.2.056) integrated into an AD Domain. Backup is done via ADSM through a Windows server that mounts the share from the NAS.

For several reasons, we want to change the backup solution. We have an identical SnapServer 410 at another location in-house which is currently not needed and could serve for backup purposes.

The simplest solution probably would be to just replicate the first device to the second, using Snap EDR Express edition. If I license the snapshot feature on the first device, would the snapshots also be replicated to the second device?

Another option could be to use both devices independently and license the snapshot feature on both. I would then reserve space on both devices where to backup each other's snapshots. How could this be done? Is the "BakBone NetVault" extension that is part of the standard license suitable for that, and how would it be set up?

If these questions can be easily answered by reading the f... manual, please let me know which manual to look at. Both the GOS Admin Guide and the NetVault Admin Guide haven't been too helpful. Maybe there's some document on the web somewhere that describes this in detail, but I haven't found it yet.

I'd appreciate any pointers or helpful tipps. Thank you.

Regards, Richard
rspitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Best way to backup a SnapServer 410?

Hi Richard, have you tried presenting your questions to Overland Storage?
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
bronzemaxell
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Best way to backup a SnapServer 410?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspitz View Post
Hi,

we currently operate one SnapServer 410 (GOS 5.2.056) integrated into an AD Domain. Backup is done via ADSM through a Windows server that mounts the share from the NAS.

For several reasons, we want to change the backup solution. We have an identical SnapServer 410 at another location in-house which is currently not needed and could serve for backup purposes.

The simplest solution probably would be to just replicate the first device to the second, using Snap EDR Express edition. If I license the snapshot feature on the first device, would the snapshots also be replicated to the second device?

Another option could be to use both devices independently and license the snapshot feature on both. I would then reserve space on both devices where to backup each other's snapshots. How could this be done? Is the "BakBone NetVault" extension that is part of the standard license suitable for that, and how would it be set up?

If these questions can be easily answered by reading the f... manual, please let me know which manual to look at. Both the GOS Admin Guide and the NetVault Admin Guide haven't been too helpful. Maybe there's some document on the web somewhere that describes this in detail, but I haven't found it yet.

I'd appreciate any pointers or helpful tipps. Thank you.

Regards, Richard
here is the trick to get netvault on 410, overlandstorage deliberately remove the license key on 410 running guardian 5.2, and refer all 410 customer to bakbone, but if you go to recovery console, and do a fresh install of 5.0, a valid netvault key will automatically generated, now you write down the key, and go back to 5.2

with netvault, you can backup snap server directly tape drive at high speed.
bronzemaxell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snap 410 backup