Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 02-14-2002, 10:36 AM   #1
icel0rd
Cooling Savant

Default 24-pin ATX PSU on a 20-pin board?

Has anyone successfully used a 24-pin ATX PSU on a 20-pin board?

I bought a 510 watt pp-510d PSU and realized that it was 24-pin and NOT 20-pin and I wondered if I should even bother trying to get the darn thing to work on my 20-pin board.

I searched far and wide for an ATX 24-pin to 20-pin converter, and it is noplace to be found. I considered making a converter, but unfortunately my electronics knowledge is limited. I don't know enough about PSUs to safely and confidently do this.

If anyone could advise me on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

-Ice-
icel0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2002, 01:17 PM   #2
icel0rd
Cooling Savant

Looks like the PSU is ATX 2.03 compliant, which means it is backward compatible to the other PSU units. The extra 4 pins, as documented in the spec are extra 12 volt connectors to accommodate the higher 12v load requirements on higher power systems. The - 12VDC pin isn't on those extra pins, so there probably should not be an issue with using 12V power, since pin 10 is +12VDC and pin 12 is -12VDC.

There is no official standard for the size or shape of the connector, just the pin-outs, so that explains why some of the other PSUs have the extra 4 pins as a separate connector. It appears that they have chosen to use a larger single molex to do the 24 pins instead. No big deal (I think)

The exta 4 pins, as defined in the standard are 12VDC power connectors and they should not have to be hooked up.

Well, I feel better after doing some more homework. This Antec 510w PSU is going to rock ! I think I will try it out on a lab rat machine and see if it fries it first.

-Ice-

Last edited by icel0rd; 02-14-2002 at 01:34 PM.
icel0rd is offline   Reply With Quote