Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 03-23-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
trit187
Cooling Savant

Default reasonable PSU temps

I have a enermax 350 watt psu, and it sounds like a vacume, it has 2 fans and i was hoping to quite it down by turning off one of the fans. But don't want to overheat the psu, so my question
what is a reasonable temp for the exhaust on the fan before i should start to get worried about it?
kind of an obscure question, but any ideas on what the temps should be.

running a p4 2.8 o'c at stock voltage
trit187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trit187
I have a enermax 350 watt psu, and it sounds like a vacume, it has 2 fans and i was hoping to quite it down by turning off one of the fans. But don't want to overheat the psu, so my question
what is a reasonable temp for the exhaust on the fan before i should start to get worried about it?
kind of an obscure question, but any ideas on what the temps should be.

running a p4 2.8 o'c at stock voltage
don't know the answer to your question...
but was thihnking istead of turing off one of the fans...
you could set both fans for 7 volts instead...
it should keep the air flow and quiet it down some.
my 2 ยข
Unread 03-23-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
krazy
Cooling Savant

depending on how much heat the PSU actually puts out, you should be able to eliminate one fan and run the other very slowly. Using Speedfan, I have the fan (it's a high-throughput case fan, not the original semi-quiet PSU fan) in my Antec 300w PSU running at 2% or 3% on one of my NF7-S's integrated pulse width modulator controllers. The air that comes through isn't scaldingly hot, and there is enough airflow to move heat away from the components.
Unread 03-24-2004, 09:49 PM   #4
trit187
Cooling Savant

thanks krazy. just downloaded speedfan, and it lets me control 2 of my case fans, a little bit of modding to my psu and the fan power cable now goes to my mb, and lets me control the speed. with the other fan unplugged my case is now a bit quieter. thanks
I just wish i could manually control my cpu fan too, my mb automatically changes it between 2 settings, but i can't control what temps it changes speeds at.

thanks again
trit187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2004, 11:33 PM   #5
AntiBling
Cooling Savant

I also have an enermax PSU. For about a year I ran it with no fans at all, just the pressure of other fans in the case pushing a bit of air through it. Now Im running just one of the fans that comes with it at 1700 RPM, the 80mm one I believe. What you are doing should be sufficient.
AntiBling is offline   Reply With Quote