Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 09-25-2004, 02:30 PM   #1
cip
Cooling Neophyte

Default Larger Drives in SNAP 2000

Got it to work with an 250GB IBM Deskstar but only showed up as 130GB... I'm trying with 120GB IBM Deskstar and it doesn't seam to recognize the drive. I get this error in my log.

Disk Driver : Cannot Read Device 80070007 Block 13
LCD Message : FAILED: Disk 1

Ideas anyone?

Model - 2000 series
Software - 3.4.803 (US)
Hardware - 1.1.0
Serial # - XXXXX
Bios - 1.2.180
cip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2004, 10:55 PM   #2
nadiazipper
Cooling Neophyte

Need OS 4, it will increase the hard drive limit. I have a 1000 with a 200GB drive, but I have OS 4
nadiazipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2004, 08:20 AM   #3
rami
Cooling Neophyte

once you go to os4 you cant go back, just remember that when upgrading.

i believe that the os 3.805 os on my ftp also supports large drives but you have to enable it like with os4.

-=edited=-

Last edited by rami; 11-15-2004 at 07:38 AM.
rami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
dtkempii
Cooling Neophyte

Default Your software updates...and my SnapServer 2000...

Well...I recently was given a Snap Server 2000 without drives or memory. I installed a 120GB Western Digital drive and 64mb PC133 memory with success... However, I tried to update it's OS with your 2000-series version 4 files. The unit responded that this OS update wasn't designed for this particular unit. It also rejects their Java install....though it works without issue on what it currently has:

OS version: 3.4.803
Bios version: 2.0.252
Hardware version: 0.0.0
Server#: 47195

Any clue? Won't this unit support v4? I actually have a Windows 2003 Server domain at home...so support would be a plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rami
once you go to os4 you cant go back, just remember that when upgrading.

i believe that the os 3.805 os on my ftp also supports large drives but you have to enable it like with os4.

if you want to use an IE link try these,

http://snap.ismybitch.com

and ftp (can upload in upload directory)

username: snap@ismybitch.com
Password: snap
Site Name: snap.ismybitch.com

dont use your web browser to ftp, please use an ftp client
dtkempii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2004, 03:29 PM   #5
OzDave
Cooling Neophyte

Default HW all zeros!?

I am guessing the problem is the hardware version. It is all zeros. I know that for my Meridian Snap server I had to fudge the hardware version to get Java to install. It's hardware version was 1.1.0. I had to change it to 2.0.0, start the java install via the web interface, then in another window switch back the hardware version.
I believe that you need a valid hardware version for OS4 to install. What number to use is the next question. Can you tell me what brand the server is? I have a Meridian brand snap with hw 1.1.0, and a Quantum brand snap with hw 2.0.0
You can modify the hw version in the debug screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkempii
Well...I recently was given a Snap Server 2000 without drives or memory. I installed a 120GB Western Digital drive and 64mb PC133 memory with success... However, I tried to update it's OS with your 2000-series version 4 files. The unit responded that this OS update wasn't designed for this particular unit. It also rejects their Java install....though it works without issue on what it currently has:

OS version: 3.4.803
Bios version: 2.0.252
Hardware version: 0.0.0
Server#: 47195

Any clue? Won't this unit support v4? I actually have a Windows 2003 Server domain at home...so support would be a plus!
OzDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 07:05 AM   #6
dtkempii
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the response. It is a Meridian brand Snap.

As it would turn out, this was sent to my company as a non-functional demo-unit, for display. Obviously, it wasn't completely non-functional. Since I loaded it with a 120GB and a 10GB drive, plus a 64mb Simm, it's been up for days now. I already moved around 60GB of data from my server to the first drive with no issue. I shut it down last night and put a 40GB drive in the 2nd position, and it's happy, as well....so now it's 120GB + 40GB. Pretty soon I hope to install a second 120GB, then close it up 'permanently' and just put it to good use!

Tom Kemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDave
I am guessing the problem is the hardware version. It is all zeros. I know that for my Meridian Snap server I had to fudge the hardware version to get Java to install. It's hardware version was 1.1.0. I had to change it to 2.0.0, start the java install via the web interface, then in another window switch back the hardware version.
I believe that you need a valid hardware version for OS4 to install. What number to use is the next question. Can you tell me what brand the server is? I have a Meridian brand snap with hw 1.1.0, and a Quantum brand snap with hw 2.0.0

Last edited by dtkempii; 11-04-2004 at 07:12 AM.
Unread 11-04-2004, 07:12 AM   #7
OzDave
Cooling Neophyte

Try going to the debug screen and set the platform bytes to 1 1 0 and see if that helps. Actual command would be:
bios PlatformBytes 1 1 0
Unread 11-06-2004, 09:16 AM   #8
jhuehne
Cooling Neophyte

I'm having a similar problem upgrading my snap server 2000. I believe this was originally a demo only unit. There is a stick on it that said not for sale. Here is the current info:

Model : 2000 series
Software: 3.4.803 (US)
Hardware: 0.0.0
BIOS : 2.0.252

When I try to update via the web interface I get the following error:

Problem: Invalid SUP file for the given platform. Try selecting another SUP file and repeating the operation.

I receive a similar error saying the image is not for my platform when I try to upgrade via snap assist. I am trying to upgrade to ver 3.4.805 to support large drives.

Let me know if anyone knows how to do this. If I need to enter commands via debug mode please give me the commands. Thanks!

Joe
jhuehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
jhuehne
Cooling Neophyte

I tried the suggestions above and the following happened:

11/06/2004 9:28:51 Command: bios PlatformBytes 1 1 0

FAILURE to Write Platform Bytes!

------------
Command returned with console error 1.

11/06/2004 9:29:51 Command: bios platformbytes

Platform Bytes are "0.0.0"

------------
Command executed without error.

11/06/2004 9:32:59 Command: bios hardwareversion 2.0.0

Command not supported on this hardware model.

------------

11/06/2004 9:34:17 Command: bios hardwareversion

Command not supported on this hardware model.

------------

Any ideas? Do you have to unlock the eeprom first before the commands? Let me know. Thanks..

Joe
Unread 11-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #10
jhuehne
Cooling Neophyte

This info might be helpful:

11/06/2004 10:04:03 Command: info version

Product: 0 - "Minnie: 2 drive IDE" - Platform Bytes "0.0.0"
Server-3.4.803, Build Date: Jan 15 2003 18:04:19
This is the NON-Debug executable, and was built by KEVIN
You are logged in as user ROOT (local)

------------
Command executed without error.

Notice the NON-Debug info. Any way I can work with this?
Unread 11-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #11
OzDave
Cooling Neophyte

The failure to write is probably because the BIOS is locked. To unlock the BIOS first enter the command:
bios unlock

Then try setting it again. If it is successful, lock the BIOS with the command:
bios lock
Unread 11-06-2004, 11:57 AM   #12
jhuehne
Cooling Neophyte

Update...

I did do the bios unlock
reset the bios platformbytes to 1 0 0
performed upgrade via assist and also tried via web browser

Both say upgrade completes, but after the system reboots the platformbytes goes back to 0 0 0 and the os is still at 803 instead of 805.

Other ideas?
Unread 11-07-2004, 07:29 AM   #13
OzDave
Cooling Neophyte

Here is the info screen from my Meridian server:

Code:
11/07/2004  8:07:33  Command: info version

Product: 0 - "Minnie: 2 drive IDE" - Platform Bytes "1.1.0"
Server-4.0.830, Build Date: Dec 24 2003 19:04:49
This is the NON-Debug executable, and was built by KEVIN
You are logged in as user ROOT (local)
I am not sure why the Platform Bytes are not sticking. If you set the platform bytes and then reboot the server (without upgrading), are the kept or do they get reset back to zeros?

Bios version information:

Code:
11/07/2004  8:16:54  Command: bios version

Failsafe Bios not found

Bios stamp v1.2.180 Thu Dec 10 17:48:55 1998

Plat Bytes 1.1.0

Model Byte 0
Reviewing your post, I see that you have a newer bios than I do. Mine, is 1.2.180. I wonder if that is related.

I believe that the server are upgraded after the server is rebooted. Maybe with the numbers going back to zero is the reason why the update is not taking.

This may sound like a silly question, but you do have HD installed in your snap server? I remember reading a thread about someone not having HD installed. The HD is needed to store upgrade files. I think that the upgrade files are stored in \snaperserver\os_private\temp you can check there to see if your upgrade files there.
Unread 11-07-2004, 10:27 AM   #14
jhuehne
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the reply. My snap server has 2 45gig drives in it. I can copy files to and from the share I setup on the drive. Here are the results of looking for the upgrade files:

ftp> pwd
257 "/whoot/os_private/Temp" is your working directory.
ftp> dir
200 Command okay.
125 Data connection already open; transfer starting.
----rwx--- 1 3 2 30814256 Nov 06 08:30 1099751289
----rwx--- 1 3 2 30814256 Nov 06 10:51 1099759749
226 Closing data connection. Requested file action successful.
ftp: 118 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 118000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp>

Let me know what else you think I can try. Since the last post I have tried to do an upgrade with the osupgrade utlitity via commandline and received the same results. I have also tried to set the PlatformBytes to 4 0 0 instead of 1 1 0. Same thing.. the upgrade says it installs but after reboot I'm back to 3.4.803 with platform bytes of 0 0 0.

There must be a way to get around this... Does the snapserver store a log somewhere that may indicate why the upgrade did not take. I did not try to upgrade to ver 4 due to the supposed throughput hit with that upgrade. 3.4.805 should work on this box.

I also looked at trying to upgrade the bios via 'update mode' and the utilities off snap appliance's site. I didn't have any luck, when you put the snap in 'update mode' via the /config/update url it seems to reboot the snap, but the nic never becomes active again. I have to manually powercycle the unit to get it out of the 'update state'. Has anyone ever tried to do this?
Unread 11-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #15
dtkempii
Cooling Neophyte

Hmm...just back from my vacation. It looks like jhuehne has begun working with the same problem that I have on my Snap 2000, and is having no success getting past this point.

jhuehne, you never stated whether or not you rebooted your unit after chaning the PlatformBytes to 1.1.0 and confirmed that this value sticks. Can you verify that?

Thanks.......
Unread 11-16-2004, 04:37 PM   #16
jhuehne
Cooling Neophyte

I'll have to try a reboot after changing the platform bytes settings. In each case I tried the snap server seemed to reboot itself after trying to upgrade the OS.

I tried the following methods:

Snap Assist upgrade
Upgrade via snap web browser
osupgrade commandline upgrade

Each method said the upgrade was successful but after the snap rebooted the OS version remained the same and the platform bytes reverted to all zeros. I think the solution would involve upgrading the bios itself.

I noticed that Snap's support site has a utility to do this as well as a bios and os upgrade. Both of these methods require you to put your snap server into update mode before starting the utility.

I've tried to put the Snap into 'update' mode via the web browser /config/update url as well as via the manual reset procedure listed under the snap knowledgebase involving pressing the reset switch 5 times. In both cases after putting the snap server into this mode, it loses network connectivity and the server is not pingable. The odd thing is both update utilities ask you for the ip of the snap server before performing the update. Both say the update may have failed. The unit remains in 'update' mode until you power cycle it manually. After the manual powercycle the system state was the same as before I started.

Has anyone had luck with the 'update' mode? I haven't found much documentation on how this is supposed to work.
Unread 11-16-2004, 10:30 PM   #17
dtkempii
Cooling Neophyte

Well, I went through Unlocking the EEProm, resetting the Hardware version to 1.1.0, and then re-locking the EEProm. I rebooted my SnapServer 2000 and rechecked the hardware version. It most definitely switches back to version 0.0.0. It seems to me...based on experience with routers, that what we are initially editing might be just what is in memory, and is never, therefore, written to the eeprom for permanent storage. If this is true...then there must be a command line that writes to the eeprom...though I don't see one when I type "?" in the CLI.
Unread 11-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #18
dtkempii
Cooling Neophyte

I had the same results as noted earlier by jhuehne. I could unlock the bios, set the version, run an upgrade, then it would state that it was successful and needed to reboot...however, it would show "Processing file MOAI110.HEX 1 of 846 files (0% processed)", and just seem to sit there. I did find, however, that at this point...or soon after this page came up...the Hardware version returned to 0.0.0. My assumption is that it had rebooted, and simply failed to load the upgrade because of this hardware mismatch again.

Because of this, I decided to switch to my other window that was in the debug mode, re-write the bios version to 1.1.0. again, then jump to the window that was stuck in the midst of the upgrade and press 'F5' (refresh). Well...what do you know...it went through the percentiles until it had completed 100%. It claimed at this point to be successful. However, the bios version didn't reflect it.

At this point I restarted my snap server and rechecked it's settings. It, again, reverted back to the original version of OS and hardware versions. This time I went back to the page where it was stuck before, and hit 'F5' (refresh) to see if it would happen again. It failed to find the downloaded file...which simply says to me that it was deleted upon assumed completion of install.

Changing the hardware version definitely makes the difference between OS upgrades failing immediately due to hardware/OS mismatches and actually attempting to upgrade. If we could only get past this apparent write-protection on the eeprom I think we'd be able to upgrade these boxes!
Unread 11-17-2004, 12:43 AM   #19
dtkempii
Cooling Neophyte

Interesting.... This looks like success!

I set the Hardware version to 2.0.0. instead of 1.1.0. This value stuck through several reboots, thereby allowing me to install the OS upgrades...no additional tricks. The 3.4.805 installed fine, and remained after a software reboot! I'm going to have to test further now!
Unread 11-17-2004, 01:32 AM   #20
dtkempii
Cooling Neophyte

I was, in fact, able to upgrade at this point up to the v4 software. I did note during this process that when the upgrade was waiting for the SnapServer to finish its reboot it would remain on the screen showing that 1 of 846 files were processed. Once I went over to my secondary screen sitting in debug mode, if I click on the top left hand side in order to determine what version of OS and hardware I have, the upgrade screen suddenly realizes that the snapserver is up and completes it's install.

Next I installed the Java support and Help files without issue....so now it's a fully functional unit....no longer looks like a demo!

I hope this helps you get yours up and running!
Unread 11-17-2004, 11:34 PM   #21
dtkempii
Cooling Neophyte

Success!

Ok, I have my 2000 working great with 2 120GB hard drives. Sealed it back up and working toward putting it to good use here at home! Thanks for all of the help, guys! I was beginning to think that I could only use this thing as a 'workgroup' NAS, since my home network is Windows 2000 Server domain currently, and getting upgraded to SBS 2003 server...

Last edited by dtkempii; 11-19-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Unread 07-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #22
Sid2000
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDave

Can you please tell how you changed the hardware version in the debug screen?

Many thanks
Sid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 03:36 PM   #23
Sid2000
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadiazipper
Need OS 4, it will increase the hard drive limit. I have a 1000 with a 200GB drive, but I have OS 4

what is your current bios ver?

Thanks
Sid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #24
OzDave
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2000
Can you please tell how you changed the hardware version in the debug screen?

Many thanks
I am not near a Snap Server at present, but the item you want to change is the platformBytes. Make sure that you know what your HW version is before changing it. Also, make sure that you set it back to the original settings before any sort of reboot otherwise your server could become a boat anchor.