Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-21-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Default Dual Pumps, Dual Loops, Single Reservoir.

I am very intersted in this concept. I believe it can help to increase flow in the whole system, therefore lowering temperatures.

This system is intended for setups with multiple waterblocks. When you have a single pump system, you are forced to either suffer low flow of entire run by running your blocks in series, or by lowering certian parts of blocks by running in paralel. This makes for greater overall flow, but causes lower flow in the paralel runs. By running multiple pumps/loops, you serve to increade flow rates, and also reduce pressure.

What I am thinking of is having multiple loops/pumps to increase flow in those runs. There will be a common reservoir to exchange water flows.

So the first type of setup I am thinking of is one with 3 waterblocks, and a large 2 pass heater core. I want to have one run consist of a pump and the heatercore. The other run will be the second pump and 3 blocks in series. I believe this would give better flow than any other setup with three blocks and a heatercore. Obviously you do not want pumps that will add a great deal of heat to the system, which is not hard because the different loops will be less restrictive, than if you put them all in one loop. I was thinking the new Swiftech pumps would be great for this application.

Thoughts/comments?

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
HighFlowRod
Cooling Neophyte

One thought: You would probably run into the problem of the CPU cooling loop heating the other loop?
GeForce 3 Ti200
40GB Maxtor HD
WB (DIY): Dual Spiral
HeatX: D-Tek Cooler Core
Pump: ViaAqua 1300
Hoses: Tygon
Idle: 24-26 C
Load: 29-30 C
HighFlowRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 08:41 PM   #3
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Well it is supposed to, that way the radiator dissapates the heat. Maybe I do not understand your idea?

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
Unread 09-21-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
HighFlowRod
Cooling Neophyte

Two pumps = better flow rate for each loop as long as you limit your 90 degree bends and such (this is good).

But, I believe your steady state temperature will be the same as a single loop, maybe worst because of the two pumps (not one).
GeForce 3 Ti200
40GB Maxtor HD
WB (DIY): Dual Spiral
HeatX: D-Tek Cooler Core
Pump: ViaAqua 1300
Hoses: Tygon
Idle: 24-26 C
Load: 29-30 C
HighFlowRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 10:51 PM   #5
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Yeah that is what i thought, but does not matter, with similir temps and higher flow, the resultant chip temps will be lower. And those swifty's only consume 9 watts. Should run really cool.

Also if the rad run is all byself it will be flowing against approx .5 - .75m of head. With the MCP600 that would result in approx. 7-8 lpm. With that flow, I believe the rad would be cooling much more effectively.

BrianW

Last edited by BrianW; 09-21-2003 at 11:02 PM.
Unread 09-21-2003, 11:10 PM   #6
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

I believe this might tickle your..... ermmmm nevermind...

here is some more...
Unread 09-21-2003, 11:31 PM   #7
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Pretty nice, but I would have two inputs for your res, instead of the t.

I am seriously thinking of hooking this up on my next rig. I already have the iwaki md15rt for the three waterblocks. I will get a MCP600 for the rad loop, and do some flow tests.

BrianW

Unread 09-22-2003, 12:33 AM   #8
ralf_c
Cooling Neophyte

hi brianw

if you have the space why not run true dual loops?
Unread 09-22-2003, 12:52 AM   #9
BrianW
Cooling Savant

I want to use this radiator I already have: 12.125 X 7.875 X 2". Do not really have room for any other rads, and that is more than enuff rad for what I will be cooling.

BrianW

Unread 09-23-2003, 08:37 PM   #10
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
This makes for greater overall flow, but causes lower flow in the paralel runs. By running multiple pumps/loops, you serve to increade flow rates, and also reduce pressure.
Two loops = more pressure, not less. You'd almost certainly get better results if you worked in series (pumps + CPUs). At 100w a cpu heats a modest flow system by less then a degree. With dual pumps the difference would probably be immeasureable and you'd have the benifits of extra pressure per block (due to less tube + running the radiators in parallel).
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 02:04 AM   #11
BrianW
Cooling Savant

I am not talking about having the blocks in different loops. I am talking about two loops. Loop one will be one pump, and one radiator. The second loop would be the three blocks in series. Each loop has less components, and there fore less head, than if the three blocks and radiator were in one loop. That is what I meant.

BrianW

Unread 09-27-2003, 11:52 AM   #12
georgeteo
Cooling Neophyte

Actually, I'm thinking of soing exactly the same.

For me, both Eheim 1250 pumps are submerged into a res. Radiator used is a Silverprop4 with 4 120mm Sunons at 7v
2 loops are used .. just like yours .. One for the RAD the other for the blocks.
Both loops end by dumping water back into the res.

Problem is....the water in the blocks loop may actually circulate within itself, thus making it higher in temp as compared to the Radiator loop. Also, having 2 pumps subermeged may also casue the water temp to rise!!

To counter this, I've decided to place the outlet valve of the waterblocks loop near to the inlet valve of the radiator loop (which is the pump). The same goes for the radiator loop. This way, the warm water from the blocks will be "channelled" into the radiator loop and the cool water coming out from the radiator loops will be channelled into the waterblocks loop.

Although the dual pump dual loop setup will seem to increase flow rates, it might not actually help very much in the overall performace of the setup. Still, it will look very cool and I'm willing to have a go at it

Good luck with yours. Post your results k
georgeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2003, 03:03 PM   #13
winewood
Cooling Savant

why not just get a little giant pump or basicall a single massive pump and use that? that pump will have plenty to spare, and you could split the flow at the beginning and sent 1/2 to the cpu and 1/2 to the northbridge and gpu. I would think 2 pumps would take up ALOT more room, and be very noisey.
Unread 09-27-2003, 09:41 PM   #14
georgeteo
Cooling Neophyte

Thats why they are submerged and kept together in the sam container. to reduce the noise and save space. The design I came up with includes both pumps in a res that just slighly bigger than the two pumps combined.

Big ass pump = more bigass heat and noise
Unread 09-27-2003, 09:45 PM   #15
Sin22
Cooling Neophyte

Quite coincidental aint it georgeteo that the day you ask this question in CMF, the exact same thing comes up here.

It would be amusing to see if the concept works overall and if any significant performance does result from it.

The only way to really know would be to try it out. But overall, I still am of the belief that there may be a degredation in performance if not it'll be approx the same overall.
Sin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2003, 10:01 PM   #16
BrianW
Cooling Savant

The pumps I plan on using are the MCP600's. The MCP600's only consume 8 watts of energy each. Even with three, that is a great deal lower than any large pump I know about.

Assumptions:

A system with a large 2 pass heater core (12.125" X 7.875"), and three blocks in series would have x flow and y pressure drop.

A system with say two pumps, one pumping coolant from the res to the heatercore back to the res, and the other pumping through the waterblocks(in series), would have higher flow and lower pressure drop in each run, as opposed to being all run in series.

Proposed Idea:

From the flow charts posted here, and my experimintation with my heatercore, I estimate approx 8-9 lpm. The blocks I plan to use are as follows: Cascade , Swiftech GPU block, and Swiftech NB block. Any one care to estimate flow in that loop with a MCP600? I may even consider three pumps. One for the rad, one for the cascade, and one for the GBU/NB.

Based on the fact that these pumps dump nominal heat into the water, can anyone tell me why the dual loop, dual pump system would not cool better?

Last edited by BrianW; 09-27-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Unread 09-27-2003, 10:59 PM   #17
georgeteo
Cooling Neophyte

Ah yes...it mua
Just want to gather more infomation
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:18 PM   #18
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

Default 0.02 cents.

I've had a similar ideia , but no time to poke around for now.
two thoughts.

how do you make sure all the water go through the radiador loop. and do not recycle hot water to the blocks loop.

how can you state that the full system will be cooler, if all the water is not recycled through the radiator(s).
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:28 PM   #19
BrianW
Cooling Savant

I believe temps would be similar to, maybe a bit lower than a normal all in series setup.

Here's why: The Radiator loop would be flowing much faster than the waterblock loop. Three water blocks in series is more restrictive than 2 feet of head I believe, although do not know for sure. With the radiator loop running faster, it would ensure that enouph water is being circulated through the radiator loop.

Another note: Even if coolant temps were the same as a traditional setup, the additional flow of this system would ensure lower cpu temps. Is it not true that with constant coolant temp, an increase in flow should ensure lower cpu temps?

As far as ensuring that the water will flow through both loops and that heat cycling will occur can be solved in the reservoir. The return for the waterblock run could be orientated to ensure that the outlet for the radiator run is pulling water from the return of the waterblock run. Vice versa for the waterblock run.

BrianW

Unread 09-27-2003, 11:33 PM   #20
georgeteo
Cooling Neophyte

Are u testing out your setup anytime soon??
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:37 PM   #21
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Right now I only have one pump that I can test with. An Iwaki MD15RT. I do plan on getting at least one mcp600 in the next month or so. I will try and test the flow dynamics. And if that proves even moderately successful, I will hook it up to my system and test it out.

BrianW

Unread 09-27-2003, 11:50 PM   #22
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

Still , my questions presist. You cannot make sure.

Are you also assuming the higher flow loop will interfere with the lower , "hogging" most of the water ? That raises another problem. Water has a tendancy of going through the less restricted loop. The radiator loop pump will interfere with the block loop pump. Some water will be recycled through the same loop. Not necessarely a bad thing in the radiator loop.

The switched inlet - outlet will take care of most problems, but wont eliminate all of them.

may i suggest a simple design?
Take that box that #rotor did, make the inlets and outlets as you stated, but insert a wall between the pumps, with perforated holes ( or similar ). There will be communication between the two chambers , but it will be reduced due to the added restriction. Most of the water from the block loop will flow through the radiator loop and very little (if any) will be recycled throught the blocks loop.
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:52 PM   #23
georgeteo
Cooling Neophyte

i might give it a try once I find out more information
Good luck with yours...and hope to see some results soon...
http://www.geocities.com/geo_sin_98/res.jpg
this may explain what he is trying to say
Unread 09-28-2003, 12:03 AM   #24
BrianW
Cooling Savant

When you state that water will take the least restrictive path, I believe that to be a small effect when both loops have a pump in them. While it is true that if you splith the flow after the pump that water will be affected by the different restrictions. I assume that after the pump, the loop will be on its own, until back in the res. I can not prove it, as of yet.

BrianW

Unread 09-28-2003, 10:51 AM   #25
georgeteo
Cooling Neophyte

Yes.

One loop consisit of only the RAD so its:
res>pump>rad>res

The other loops consist of the blocks:
res>pump>cpu>nb>gpu>res

to ensure that the water doesn't stay in the loop, I'll simply place the end of the blocks loop near to pump of the rad loop, and vice-versa for the other loop. A devider will be placed in the reservoir to ensure that the hot water coming out of the blocks loops doesn't mix with the cold water coming out from the rad loop.

In this configuration, the setup becomes more like a series loop with 2 pumps.
res>pump#1>cpu>nb>gpu>res>pump#2>rad>res

I really don't know the advantages of having 2 loops as the only way to be certain that its effective or ineffective is to try it out. I will only be able to give this dualpump/dualloop config a spin sometime in early OCT as I'm waiting for my blocks to arrive