Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

Default Upside down case.

Excuse the tupperware.. And future note.. Gigabyte G41M-ES2L SUCKS for overclocking.. I was able to get 3.6GHz mostly stable on air with this CPU on my old Abit board. This board, I can't even post past 2.66GHz.. Grrr.. But hey, at least this board will sleep and wake properly in OSX, the last one wouldn't, and that's why it had to go. I guess I'll have to upgrade to Gigabyte's better board at some point, but then I'll have to relocate the Radiator. Grrr..
Blew my mind to see DangerDen stuff at Fry's Electronics when I went there (first time there) to get this motherboard and some ram. DangerDen was nice enough to hook me up with this GORGEOUS waterblock of theirs as well as a good old Heatercore for a radiator.
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Default Re: Upside down case.

Nice to see a WC setup looking not-so-pretty on modern hardware It's been a while Una, I've yet to get OSX working on a PC myself... heh.

My current beast: http://ben.lostgeek.net/computer-case-wc/
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

Yeah, it was a quick, cheap, and "dirty" setup.. heh, grabbed a whole bunch of hose clamps out of my toolbox when I found that the hose seemed to be the wrong side. It said 1/2" ID on the label, but it would fall off the 1/2" fittings. Very strange, never run into that before.. Just crappy vinyl hose from the hardware store, maybe it's because it was thinwall.
I have installed OSX on probably 10 different PC's now, if not more. I own 6 hackintoshes right now. That motherboard you have is EXTREMELY OSX friendly. Great board. I was so close to getting that board, I should have.
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Hmm, wonder why I can't get it to install... Pretty standard hardware - the Gigabyte board, Pentium D 820, Nvidia 6200, SATA DVD Burner and SATA 500 GB drive
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

6200 is antique. D 820 is antique.. Why such a good board with such antiquated parts on it? I doubt a 6200 would work in OSX.. The D820 probably isn't limitting you, but a Celeron 420 would run circles around it (I should know, I benchmarked an 840 against one and chose the single core Celeron, albeit overclocked 100%), and those chips cost like $30..
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

I'll have to upgrade my GPU I guess... Figured it would at least work. I was running a water cooled 8800GT (back when that was badass) until a stupid mistake (resulting in a leak) killed it. And before the 820 I had an E7200 I think and a Q6600. Sold them because I needed money... got the pentium for $20 shipped.
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Figured I'd give a little update since I mentioned my system in here, would be nice to hear an update from you too, Una. I was a little paranoid about screwing up my windows install, so I popped in a second drive, a 120 gig WD PATA. Should be pretty fast. OS X Kalyway runs GREAT on my rig now. Upgraded the CPU to something at least conroe (Intel Dual-Core?) and grabbed another 8800GT off the overclockers.com forum a couple weeks ago. $60 shipped brand new! Or something like that... Screwed with the drivers for a day or two, to see what I could get to work and I'm now impressed. Running at 1920x1080 on my new 23" HP refurb LCD, sound works, Ethernet works - all on board. MS office works. I'm happy. I also picked up an emac and man, I have that on my work bench and use it all the time. Overclocked it from a 1 GHz to a 1.33, and bumped the 300 something MB of RAM up to 512 MB. Probably will do a gig when I come across two 512 MB sticks. I love the speakers on that thing, the style, the speed, and most of all the flat screen CRT. Nice resolution on that, very sharp.

My main rig is now out of the ugly but sturdy supermicro tower and in an Antec 300. My cooling? A home depot 5 gallon bucket with two barbs gooped in the side is my water tank and acts as a passive radiator. I'm at the overclocked speed I wished to get to, and I don't see temps past the 40s. So... an attractive unmodded quiet case on the table beside my desk, and an orange sealed bucket on the floor for silent cooling. Here's a pic before I extended the lines and ran them out of a PCI slot to make things neater...

Unread 06-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

Great to hear you've moved to OSX. Kalyway was a good distro, 2 years ago. It can't be updated to the latest version though. You should look for iATKOS 7i, it was the last of the Leopard distro's and will allow you to get to the latest version of Leopard, which will allow you to install more apps. You've probably found that many apps won't run on an outdated version of Leopard. That's just how the Mac world works, you stay up to date, or you quickly get left behind.
I moved my wife's Hackintosh up to a quad core CPU with 4gb ram and a GeForce 9400, that thing freakin flies. It's running in 64bit mode on Snow Leopard (10.6.4)..
Unread 06-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

If I move to a new distro will I have better luck with my 8800GT? I finally found what I'd call a "driver" not too long after installing Kalyway, managed to run Doom 3 and then not sure why but could never run it again. Even tried reinstalling the ktext and the game. That was definitely a turn off. Are newer distros more friendly?

And man... never thought I'd use email alerts but they help with this ghost town