Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-16-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Default Leak testing

I have been leak testing just my waterblock for more than 36 hours and no sign of leaks. But there is one barb I don't have much confidence in. So I am wondering what's the best way of leak testing at a decent psi. I have a compressor, but am unsure how to compress my block w/ it.

Thanks for any help.
CheeseBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2003, 01:08 AM   #2
redleader
Thermophile

Stupid idea, but have you tried just plugging one barb and hooking the other up to the sink?

That should give it a good deal of pressure.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2003, 03:35 AM   #3
MadDogMe
Thermophile

That's what I do. We have some pokey cold water mains pressure where I live ...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2003, 12:17 PM   #4
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Our well's GPM really suck. My pump's 300GPH is faster I think.

I was thinking of looping my 2 outlets together w/ some tubing, then MAYBE blowing up a ballon, then putting the balloon on the center inlet, then putting it under water. But I have to clue what kind of PSI a balloon will produce. But I think it will be more presure than water just pumping through. What do you think?
Unread 05-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
hara
Cooling Savant

It is the pressure that's important not the gpm. I think your sink will yield much more pressure.
- FMZ
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2003, 03:42 PM   #6
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Ohh, plugging the the 2 outlets and pressurizing in the one inlet. I thought they just ment free flowing like normal in one, out two.
Unread 05-18-2003, 08:09 AM   #7
Pheonix
Cooling Neophyte

Bladerunner tests his stuff using a car tyre compressor type pump according to his website
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2003, 08:40 AM   #8
Cathar
Thermophile

Just plug your pump into the block, with tubing. Turn the pump on and let it flow/bleed. Now close off the outlet hose totally through whatever means. You are now experiencing the most pressure that your pump will ever provide to the block. Under regular operation the block will probably be receiving half the pressure that doing the above will cause. If the block doesn't leak, then it's safe enough to use for normal operation, since normal operation pressures are lower.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2003, 08:52 AM   #9
Pheonix
Cooling Neophyte

UV die + blacklight might help spot hard to find leaks
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2003, 10:18 AM   #10
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Cathar, I thought about doing that, but then I figured it wasn't going to be very good for the pump. But I 'spose I'll give it a shot.
Unread 05-18-2003, 12:34 PM   #11
Balinju
Cooling Savant

do you have a good pressure in the tap just behind your mains??
that is where me and hara tested our block. At least here in malta, we have a good pressure at that point. we blocked the outlets, and fixed a pipe from the outlet of the tap to the inlet of the waterblock.
if you would be using silicon pipings, you would see them "growing"
Unread 05-23-2003, 07:40 AM   #12
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

Yeah I have a big Snap-on compressor at hand, but a bicycle pump will suffice.

connect a length of tube 4 or 5 foot to one barb and get a car tyre valve, (or bike inner tube valve) in the other end of the tube, you may have to cut the rubber about to get it to fit in the tube.

fit a another tube to other block barb and block it off or crimp it with mole grips etc. now get a bicycle pump and pump up the block if you go too far a tube will blow off anyway just pump until the length of tube is more "solid" to squeeze. now immerse the block in a sink or bath of water and if there is the slightest air leak from the block it will show and let you know exactly where it is.

What I usually do is connect is to about 4 bar, (about 50psi), from my compressors tank and put the block under a an upturned glass container underwater. the upturned container has no air pockets and is see through. Leave it overnight if in the morning there is still no air in the upturned glass bowl then the block has not leaked any air at all and is fully pressure sealed. I'm then happy it wont leak water in my system. overkill?............. maybe but 2 years on...... 8 water-blocks and one splitter in my system..& ZERO leaks ....................... so far
Unread 05-23-2003, 08:24 AM   #13
logosmani
Cooling Neophyte

ahhh, good thinking batman.. i've just been sticking mine in a bucket.. coming back after 24hrs + checking the pressure watching for leaks, but using a clear bowl to catch any leaks in the first place would work much better. ty mr bladerunner
logosmani is offline   Reply With Quote