Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-13-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
gkiing
Cooling Neophyte

Default 226W Tec + Bong!

I just finished setting up my new 226w peltier, at 1.5vcore 2300mhz on a tbred B im getting 10C idle and ~30C load.. is that normal? The tubing from the outlet of the waterblock seems quite warm. Is it possible my bong can't handle this setup? I think i'm getting about 1GPM flow through it, with 1 mcp600 @ about 1.7m head, would adding another pump help? The airflow through the bong is ~100CFM.
gkiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 01:21 PM   #2
gkiing
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkiing
I just finished setting up my new 226w peltier, at 1.5vcore 2300mhz on a tbred B im getting 10C idle and ~30C load.. is that normal? The tubing from the outlet of the waterblock seems quite warm. Is it possible my bong can't handle this setup? I think i'm getting about 1GPM flow through it, with 1 mcp600 @ about 1.7m head, would adding another pump help? The airflow through the bong is ~100CFM.
\

I found the problem.. my MCP600 pump is only pushing a trickle of water through the loop.. I guess it's too weak. Can anyone reccomend me a better pump?
Unread 06-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
james111
Cooling Neophyte

Danner Mag 3 should do a good job.
james111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

erm the MCP600 is better than the Danner Mag3! Edit: like i say id not know much about bongs

I dont know much about bongs but adding another pump can boost performance.

Btw.What block are you using?

'Liquified'

Last edited by SlaterSpeed; 06-13-2004 at 06:01 PM.
SlaterSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
killernoodle
Thermophile

No it isnt. Above 60gph, the mag 3 owns the mcp. Look at the P/Q graphs of the pumps side by side. The mag 3 should push more fluid through the loop and much faster. For a bong setup, it is important to have a lot of flow through the shower head thing.

There is a guy on the OC forums that has a mcp 600 shooting a stream of water about 4 inches in the air, but when I put my mag 3 in a sink and turn it on it shoots water in my face, and I'm 6'2" (true story ).
Unread 06-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
gkiing
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
No it isnt. Above 60gph, the mag 3 owns the mcp. Look at the P/Q graphs of the pumps side by side. The mag 3 should push more fluid through the loop and much faster. For a bong setup, it is important to have a lot of flow through the shower head thing.

There is a guy on the OC forums that has a mcp 600 shooting a stream of water about 4 inches in the air, but when I put my mag 3 in a sink and turn it on it shoots water in my face, and I'm 6'2" (true story ).
I'm using the Swiftech MCW462-UHT. I realized that it wasnt getting eneough flow because the water in my res was 45C, lol, but the tec still kept my cpu around 20C. If I can get the water temp around 25C i should be able to load around 5C or so. So the Mag3 is the best choice? What about the mag5? The bong doesnt experience the problems with adding more heat into the water because of pumps, as the hotter the water is the better itl perform.
Unread 06-13-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
Cranky
Cooling Neophyte

Iuse the Danner mag 5 on my rig and it ownz to be honest. The flow rate out of that pump is way more than i will probally ever need. The price was pretty good too, picked one up for about 65$ at a pet store i use to work at..
Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #8
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterSpeed
erm the MCP600 is better than the Danner Mag3!

I dont know much about bongs but adding another pump can boost performance.

Btw.What block are you using?
mcp600 is not a good choice with a bong... since whereas the rest of the loops resistance increases with flow squared, the head needed to raise the water to the top of the bong remains the same (at the height of the bong...)

how tall is the bong? that'll be the best guide to what pump'd be best...
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 06:10 PM   #9
jlrii
Cooling Savant

Quote:

The Mag 3 holds the lead untill just about 3m of head then the MCP pulls ahead, but not by much. Both move about 2 lpm @ 3m. Either one is a good choice, beyond them you get into Little giant , Iwaki and Johnson Pumps...more money but lots more performance. Are you sure everything is clear?....No algae or mineral build-ups?

Also is yours one of the original MCPs? If so it could be failing

OOps for got the Liand D4 It holds better than th MCP through out the curve and beats the Mag 3 at any head above 1.5m. Dead head is @ about 3.9m. Kicks ass for the $75 it costs if you can deal with a lil more noise.

Last edited by jlrii; 06-13-2004 at 06:26 PM.
jlrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 07:26 PM   #10
killernoodle
Thermophile

For 75 i'll bet you can get a mag 7 or 9...
Unread 06-13-2004, 08:11 PM   #11
jlrii
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Haven't seen them..hows the noise level ams dependability?
Unread 06-14-2004, 04:32 PM   #12
gkiing
Cooling Neophyte

The Bong's about 5' tall. I just filled it the other day, and theres no calcium deposits or algae or anything like that, the problem is the poor flow rate. I live in canada, and I have no idea where I can get a mag 3 or 5. My mcp600 is the original pump, but I replaced the impeller for a rev2 one.
Unread 06-14-2004, 06:56 PM   #13
jlrii
Cooling Savant

Quote:
The Bong's about 5' tall. I just filled it the other day, and theres no calcium deposits or algae or anything like that, the problem is the poor flow rate. I live in canada, and I have no idea where I can get a mag 3 or 5. My mcp600 is the original pump, but I replaced the impeller for a rev2 one.
What block are you using??

EDIT: oops nm
Unread 06-15-2004, 05:34 PM   #14
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
in that case i suspect that you need to either cut the height of the bong, or get a pump with higher head... just raising water the 5' is half way to the max head of the mcp600, before any resistance for the tubing and block... in effect you need (when looking at a p/q curve for a pump) to draw the zero line at 1.54M

ever thought of an iwaki? this'd do the job
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3821128643
Unread 06-15-2004, 06:32 PM   #15
Cranky
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrii
Haven't seen them..hows the noise level ams dependability?

my model 5 was kinda loud when i had a smaller rad with a more narrow tube diamater. when i wet to a black ice 120 dual rad, it quieted down nicely.
Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 11:39 PM   #16
gkiing
Cooling Neophyte

Wow.. im there with that iwaki. Don't anyone try and steal it...
Unread 06-16-2004, 08:01 PM   #17
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Wow.. im there with that iwaki. Don't anyone try and steal it...
it's gone - did you get it? -if not the same seller has another but i wouldn't hang around iiwy
Unread 06-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #18
gkiing
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenton
it's gone - did you get it? -if not the same seller has another but i wouldn't hang around iiwy
i'm bidding on the second one..
Unread 06-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #19
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
i'm bidding on the second one..
good luck - hope you don't regret not using "buy it now"....
Unread 06-20-2004, 11:47 AM   #20
Demonfire
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Yeah but the 7 and 9 are ****ing huge pumps, i wouldnt be surprised if it shot the blocks off.
Demonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 05:30 PM   #21
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonfire
Yeah but the 7 and 9 are ****ing huge pumps, i wouldnt be surprised if it shot the blocks off.
13' and 15' head respectively - no risk of that!
Unread 06-21-2004, 04:16 AM   #22
Jabo
Cooling Savant

Why don't you go to your local DIY store and buy yourself domestic heating circulator pump?
I used one and it was a marvel! Totaly silent, massive power compared to the usual WC lot ad dirt cheap. The only drawback (there must be one of course) was that it puts some heat into the water but with bong cooler it is not important as much as it would be with radiator cooled assy
Check out Grundfos pumps (europe) or any other ones since they are extremely reliable (if installed properly) and I don't think you are planning on using it for more than 20 years