Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-20-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
fyre182
Cooling Neophyte

Default Which radiator is the best?

Which radiator is better for water cooling?

the dtek 120 pro
or the bIX
etc?

and what are the preformance diffrences between those and a BI pro or a 33 dollar heatercore?

Last edited by fyre182; 06-20-2004 at 04:07 PM.
fyre182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Demonfire
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyre182
Which radiator is better for water cooling?

the dtek 120 pro
or the bIX
etc?

and what are the preformance diffrences between those and a BIX pro or a 33 dollar heatercore?
The 33 dollar heater core will cool the best believe it or not. When you buy one of those black ice radiators, your paying for a pretty heatercore.
Demonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
fyre182
Cooling Neophyte

really? i always thought the black ice extreme had a large preformance gain over hte black ice pro 5 degrees or somethign which led me to believe each radiator had invidual preformances...etc. so your saying that most radiators have preformance gains all about the same? black ice is no better than a dtek hetater core etc. so buying a 30 dollar heater core would be just as well? as paying the big bucks for the 56 dollar-60 dollar black ice extreme?

dtek 120 pro=around 29.99 colorless

black ice extreme=56 lowest price i found it was at crazypc.com

if i could get some more justification of this i am definately going with the dtek 120 pro and most likely buy a shroud

btw aquastealth sells a heatercore shroud http://www.aquastealth.com

would the larger shroud preform better than the smaller dtek one? Then again aire preassure would be lost. could soemone tell me what hte preformance gains or losses woudl be of such.

NEED HELp please respond =)

Last edited by fyre182; 06-20-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Unread 06-20-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
fyre182
Cooling Neophyte

ugh cant delete post lol accidentaly double posted
Unread 06-20-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

The Dtek 120 Pro is not a Black Ice Pro. It's an entirely different thing. The standard heater core (Dtek 120 +1") beats a BIX II and costs ~$20 at an autoparts shop, but requires a bit of modding. You can make a tupperware shroud (search overclockers.com) for it for less than 1 dollar.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 08:09 PM   #6
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

You can also buy a Coolingworks shroud to mount a 120mm fan on a ~6x6 heater core. I've had good luck fitting this shroud to the heater core for a '71 Mercury Marquis. If you go the heater core route, remember that the dimensions are the finned area and do not include the tanks at top or bottom - and the thickness doesn't include how far the inlet/outlet protrude (but you probably guessed that last part already).

Last edited by bobkoure; 06-20-2004 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Got the joke - nevermind...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #7
spinky
Cooling Neophyte

curious here.

will the biX be as good as, if not better, than the DTEK 120 Pro?
assuming that the person purchasing it is willing to pay $$$ for aesthetic.

actually, no, its just that buying the dtek core will cost the same as the biX from where i'm from
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #8
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinky
its just that buying the dtek core will cost the same as the biX from where i'm from
Which is (from your profile) Malaysia?
I think the BlackIce rads are made in hmmm... the Philippines? Closer to you than to me.
I'd guess it's the shipping that's pushing the d-tek core up, yes?
I'd suggest buying a heater core - or do cars come without heaters in Malaysia due to it never getting cold?
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 07:05 AM   #9
spinky
Cooling Neophyte

27C at night
upto 34C in the day

thats throughout the year..so i doubt you'll find heatercores in the cars here..
and i think ordering the heatercore as a spare part and have them ship in Malaysia will cost even more.. could call Ford.. or Toyota

EDIT: costs the same -if not more- and there's a local distributor for biX in Malaysia..or i could even get Thermochill 120.1 from neighbouring Singapore.

Thermochill 120.1 vs biX vs Heatercore ? considering the Thermochill & biX is easier to source and cheaper.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 08:40 AM   #10
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

If it's easier and cheaper, and 1.5C doesn't mean anything to you, go for it. In North America they cost more than twice the amount of a heater core...
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote