Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-06-2001, 10:49 PM   #1
mkosem
Cooling Savant

Default recommended system upgrade

hello, I have dicided not to use the P4 in my main system. So, can anyone recommend any system upgrades to improve my temps? I have upgreded the pump to an eheim 1048 since the page on my website has been created, but if you have time, please look over the tweaking section of my site http://www.mattkosem.com and recommend some upgrades, it would be much appreciated.

--MAtt
mkosem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2001, 11:44 PM   #2
mkosem
Cooling Savant

no dice?
Unread 07-07-2001, 04:44 AM   #3
GuyBFF
Cooling Savant

You don't specify the tubing size. From what I've observed the Eheim 1048 is one of the best pumps, but it doesn't flow as good as it's brother the 1250 and Mag-Drives with line restrictions.

If your not already running 1/2" this would be the first thing I'd change as it will be the cheapest, and should show decent improvements (although cheap it will require work refiting the new barbs to waterblock, etc. the fittings are the restriction).

Then I'd go after that rad (it's holding you back), the aquacoil would work very well (if you want to stay BE), but at $49.99 you won't beat Big Momma (or go to the auto parts store). Theres also Black Ice if you want to spend 20 dollars more for a more refined product, if you got the cash it has the fan mounts and a shroud all built in. It's capacity is a little behind Big Momma, but it won't make a differance, there both about twice what you have!

Good Luck!
Heater Core Style Rad
Thunderbird 1400 (Soon Barton)
512mb PC2700 CL2
Promise SX4000 Raid 5 w/256mb PC133 Cache
4x40gb Western Digital 7200hdd
Plus More...
GuyBFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2001, 10:29 PM   #4
mkosem
Cooling Savant

hmm, I'd really like to run a 1/2" system. It's a 3/8" system now. However, where could I mount the rad in my case so that it would fit yet still be efficient, because I'd obviously need to get a different rad to run 1/2". Also, is it possible to put 1/2" barbs on a jaggededge water block? If so, how hard is it? Ot would it be easier to get a maze2?

--MAtt
Unread 07-10-2001, 02:01 AM   #5
GuyBFF
Cooling Savant

If you where to convert to 1/2" you'd need to get the proper tap for the barb your going to use and the proper drill (usually lists size when you get the tap). Just drill, tap use plumbers teflon and screw in.

As for the rad, I was running a home made cube like the BE unit. There 1/2" compatible and fit inside most cases with some dremel trimming, but now I just got a small heater core (like Big Momma) and it fit sideways in the front of my case once I trimmed a bit of the motherboard tray extension. I haven't run it yet as I still need to solder some 1/2" barbs on, but either one should fit one way or another. Do some measurements and check their web sites.
Heater Core Style Rad
512mb PC2700 CL2
Plus More...
Unread 07-10-2001, 10:05 PM   #6
mkosem
Cooling Savant

does putting the res in the front of the computer negatively affect the performance of the system. I put my rad in the back because I was worried, but if it is ok up front I'll get a bigger rad. What is everyone's experitnce?

--MAtt
Unread 07-10-2001, 11:23 PM   #7
GuyBFF
Cooling Savant

Doesn't really make that much differance. If you want best cooling for CPU put it in front (intake) but this heats the whole system. In the rear the case air cools the rad, but it's not really that warm without the CPU heating it.I had no room in the rear, or maybe I would have had to think about it more. I guess rear would just expell heat from case better. Dought it matters

I'd put the rad where everything fits the best, and leaves you with the best hose runs, and some case access.
Heater Core Style Rad
512mb PC2700 CL2
Plus More...
Unread 07-12-2001, 11:36 PM   #8
mkosem
Cooling Savant

hmm, interesting, perhaps I should considder a cube or somethin.....

--MAtt