Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 12-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #376
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

I use the web interface.
Type the IP address of the snap into the address line.
ex: 192.168.1.100
Choose administration and log in.
the address line should now read something like
http://192.168.1.100/config
just add /debug to the end of it and press enter.
You should then be in the debug screen.
misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2004, 02:36 PM   #377
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Some progress made by me.... I was trying to play about with my snap to get it to let me install Java on my new drive. I tried to make a raid mirror (thought this may solve it, as it would be duplicate files), got bored of waiting, then put it back to JBOD. When i tried to install Java it worked straight off. I dunno if i made the Snap Server make that the primary drive or something. It wont let me install it on the old drive now....

Have to get a backup image of that now it think! I can send someone the image when i get it done if someone wants to host it? Misterbill refers to it being a bin file, whereas paul says to use .os . Does this matter? Or which is the better to use - bin?

OK tromas - Debug is easy. Open assist, and let it find the snap server, it may take a few moments, but its not too long. When its loaded, click on the snap server and click web browser on the left hand column. Log in. If you dont know the user and password, details on the snap appliance website can be found of how to reset it. When this has loaded, in the address, put '/debug' at the end of the address. This will allow you access to the command console
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2004, 09:02 PM   #378
tromans
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbill
I use the web interface.
Type the IP address of the snap into the address line.
ex: 192.168.1.100
Choose administration and log in.
the address line should now read something like
http://192.168.1.100/config
just add /debug to the end of it and press enter.
You should then be in the debug screen.
Thanks for the help, I have it up and running thanks to you and your files.

Tommy
tromans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2004, 11:53 PM   #379
cooliewoolie
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
Have to get a backup image of that now it think! I can send someone the image when i get it done if someone wants to host it? Misterbill refers to it being a bin file, whereas paul says to use .os . Does this matter? Or which is the better to use - bin?
It doesn't matter what file extension you use. I use the .os ext just for convenience.

Brgds/Paul.
cooliewoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #380
Tarantulas
Cooling Neophyte

Default Upgrades in 4000 series?

Does anyone know what is the best RAM to use to upgrade the RAM in my Snap
4000?

It currently has a 128mb PC100 module, so I can only assume a 256mb module is the way to go.

Is there any performace gain if I upgrade?

Anyone ever try a CPU upgrade? Mine is still the stock Intel P233MMX, but what about a AMD K6 something or other

Thanks!

Ron
Tarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #381
Tarantulas
Cooling Neophyte

Default Followup on my 4000...

I found a PC-100 256MB module and it works great.

I thought a little more about the CPU upgrade idea.. it might be hard to put anything else in there since there is no obvious way to manipulate voltage or multipliers. I thought about the Intel P266MMX, but it requires only 1.9vlts and would most likely fry when put in the socket.

Oh well... it was an interesting journey with this snap server. I bought it on ebay and it arrived with the CPU socket totaly blown to hell. I guess someone thought it would be a good idea to remove the processor with a claw hammer. In any case, after removing the Socket 7 socket from an old board I had laying around I was able to solder all 281 (I think) pins back to there original state.

2 hours of hunching over the iron later, I popped a fresh P233MMX into the socket and BOOM, it booted.

Anyone else with horror stories?
Unread 12-17-2004, 07:14 PM   #382
stefanv03
Cooling Neophyte

Anyone know if there's any size limitation on the snap servers? I have several including one 1000 model that I upgraded succesfully to 120GB but it won't work with a 200GB. I've noticed the clone utilitiy could only see 140GB from the 200 gb but know it won't boot with this guy.
Anyways, I guess I can live with the 120GB but does anyone know what kind of network card these guys have? This particular unit is vintage 1999 and the card seems to be 10mbs!!!
any ideas?

thanks
stefanv03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2004, 02:38 AM   #383
Tarantulas
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 1000

All snap servers support 10/100 network speeds. You might check in your snap server to see if the port is locked down to 10megabit.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you have to install Snap OS4 (or at least do a BIOS upgrade) to support drives larger than 120gbs.

I know there is an option in the debug menu having to do with 48bit addressing, but I have never messed with it on our Snap 1000 (running 4.0)
Unread 12-18-2004, 02:19 PM   #384
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I have a problem when trying to create an image in Knoppix. Some extra info for people trying to do this. Im using Knoppix Live 3.4. There isn't an option to log in, ti does it automatically. To get to root, click on the cross between a puffa fish and a penguin in the bottom left corner. 2nd item in (where the quick launch would be in windows). Then click on root console. Snap HD = hdb, and my primary hd = hda. hda1 = my ntfs windows drive, hda5&6 = fat 32. It wont let me write to these drives though. Doesn't it need to be 51200 not 50 for 50mb on the count? As it created a 40kb on the /mnt/ when i used count 40. dmesg|grep hd dont do anything. So if i can't write to the drive, i can't create an image. Can anyone help here?
Unread 12-20-2004, 12:27 AM   #385
jgantes
Cooling Neophyte

I've got a Snap 2000 w/ a Mirrored configuration . Th primary IDE1 drive (10000, as te snap Log refers to it) recently took a dump on me. So, I dropped a new drive in there and hoped it would "Rebuild" the array. Sadly, I wasn't so lucky and it won't let me do anything. It continually says "contact support" on many of the menus. So, I'm running it in JBOD mode basically--

Any ideas on how to reset this thing so I can use it normally again?

Happy Holidays everyone!
jgantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2004, 02:35 AM   #386
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Easy. Go to the debug page and type config devices format reinit i believe. If you chekc back through my posts, ive detailed how to do it!!
Unread 12-20-2004, 02:35 AM   #387
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Chekc back through my posts, ive done it before. I will lookk through them later
Unread 12-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #388
jgantes
Cooling Neophyte

Well, after trying the suggested command in the /DEBUG window, it came back with:

12/20/2004 13:06:08 Command: config devices format reinit

Invalid device id 2E6510 requested

------------
Command returned with console error 1.

Not quite sure what all that means-- Any ideas?

thanks

Last edited by jgantes; 12-20-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 12-20-2004, 11:09 PM   #389
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

I think the complete command to type is:
config devices format 10000 /reinit
Where 10000 is the device ID you are trying to initialize.
I believe if you are on a single drive snap 10006 will be the partition with
the operating system and 10000 is the rest of the drive.
Unread 12-20-2004, 11:37 PM   #390
jgantes
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbill
I think the complete command to type is:
config devices format 10000 /reinit
Where 10000 is the device ID you are trying to initialize.
I believe if you are on a single drive snap 10006 will be the partition with
the operating system and 10000 is the rest of the drive.
Tried your suggested command and got back the following error (strange):

Invalid device id 10000 requested

I'll keep poking away. Strange cuz the folks at Snap told me 10000 was the device that was failing based on my logs (even though my warranty is up).
Unread 12-21-2004, 01:44 PM   #391
stefanv03
Cooling Neophyte

Default 200 GB in snap 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantulas
All snap servers support 10/100 network speeds. You might check in your snap server to see if the port is locked down to 10megabit.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you have to install Snap OS4 (or at least do a BIOS upgrade) to support drives larger than 120gbs.

I know there is an option in the debug menu having to do with 48bit addressing, but I have never messed with it on our Snap 1000 (running 4.0)
Do you have any idea how I can check the network speed? I did not see anything in the web interface about it.

thanks
stefanv03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #392
Tarantulas
Cooling Neophyte

Default network performace?

What type of network performace are people seeing with these SNAP servers? We have a SNAP 1000 and a SNAP 4000 here at work and the perfomace is terrible. It takes roughtly 8 minutes to copy a 600 MB disc image out to a shared folder.

Is this a potential problem with my unit or are other people experiencing this too? I am currently using (4) 40gb WD drives (5400rpm 2mb buffer). I tried throwing in a old 6.4gb Quantum (in the 4000) and it had pretty much the same performace as striping the 40s. I read something about EIDE vs. IDE, is there really any truth to that? also, is it an issue to use ATA66 cables with this machine?

Any help would be appricated...

Ron

Edit:

Actualy when I try to copy something to the server I typicaly only get around 17% network utilization. This seems very low considering you can get upwards of 80% between two vannila PCs... I also tried changing the RAID cache and threads and it made no difference either.
Unread 12-21-2004, 05:38 PM   #393
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgantes
Tried your suggested command and got back the following error (strange):

Invalid device id 10000 requested

I'll keep poking away. Strange cuz the folks at Snap told me 10000 was the device that was failing based on my logs (even though my warranty is up).
In the debug screen you can type:
info devices<enter>

this should return a list of logical devices.
The ones listed on mine are
10006--OS partition disk 1
1000E--OS partition disk 2
40000--JBOD
Unread 12-23-2004, 12:20 AM   #394
jgantes
Cooling Neophyte

Misterbill-- Thanks for the help-- did that and reformated ok! Then I did it with the reinit string at the end and it said "will complete on reboot" or somethign to that effect. So I rebooted and my snap hasn't come online since... oh boy

Last edited by jgantes; 12-23-2004 at 12:34 AM.
Unread 12-23-2004, 09:19 AM   #395
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I have a problem when trying to create an image in Knoppix. Some extra info for people trying to do this. Im using Knoppix Live 3.4. There isn't an option to log in, ti does it automatically. To get to root, click on the cross between a puffa fish and a penguin in the bottom left corner. 2nd item in (where the quick launch would be in windows). Then click on root console. Snap HD = hdb, and my primary hd = hda. hda1 = my ntfs windows drive, hda5&6 = fat 32. It wont let me write to these drives though. Doesn't it need to be 51200 not 50 for 50mb on the count? As it created a 40kb on the /mnt/ when i used count 40. dmesg|grep hd dont do anything. So if i can't write to the drive, i can't create an image. Can anyone help here?
Anyone got any ideas about this? IVe downloaded Knoppix 3.6, so ill try that.
Unread 12-23-2004, 02:03 PM   #396
INT 20h
Cooling Neophyte

OS Image help...

Hi all,
Does anyone out there have a boot image for a Snap 4400 by chance? I called Snap and they said that the problem is that all of the drives that came with the unit had been wiped and with them the operating system. If you want a trade, I have the boot image for a Snap 1000 (OS version 3.4.803(US).
Thankyou soooooo much,
INT 20h
INT 20h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2004, 04:45 PM   #397
jgantes
Cooling Neophyte

I can ping my server but the web interface won't appear. Happened after running a /REINIT. The snap ASSIST utility finds the device as well. I'm little confused, but this has happened before to me. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Unread 12-25-2004, 04:05 AM   #398
caromero1965
Cooling Neophyte

Default Mounting Snap Server 1000 drives on FreeBSD or Linux?

Hi--

has anyone had any luck at all mounting the partitons on a Snap Server 1000 disk on a LiveCD Linux or FreeBSD distribution? or on any system at all? and being able to read the files on it? I've got a hosed drive from a Snap Server 1000 which I just put through a disk repair tool called spinrite (which is file system agnostic) and since I have the drive in my PC already I hoped someone could offer pointers for reading these bizarre file systems.

Eventually I'll return the disk to my snap server and hopefully I can pull the data off there, but until then, thanks for any pointers.

-A
caromero1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2004, 12:17 PM   #399
malbulger
Cooling Neophyte

can anyone help with this plse.... i have a 2200 snap server with no disks ... i have d/l misterbills 2200 image and run thru the installation , with some disks i have tried i get no boot up at all , with two i get a boot up and a solid link light and a flashing system and disk light, they blink together about every second or 1.5 seconds .... my router detects the snap as a live nic but i cannot get into the system and assist does not see it on the network at all

anyone have any ideas plse?

thks
malbulger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2004, 07:34 AM   #400
INT 20h
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbulger
can anyone help with this plse.... i have a 2200 snap server with no disks ... i have d/l misterbills 2200 image and run thru the installation , with some disks i have tried i get no boot up at all , with two i get a boot up and a solid link light and a flashing system and disk light, they blink together about every second or 1.5 seconds .... my router detects the snap as a live nic but i cannot get into the system and assist does not see it on the network at all

anyone have any ideas plse?

thks
Sounds like it went into failsafe mode. Something you might try is hitting the reset button x times (check the manual) to reset all of the settings in the thing back to the factory defaults. I think it's four times. After you push the reset button how ever many times you feel, the disk light should then start flashing that many times. Once it starts flashing the number of times you pressed reset, push and hold it until both the disk and system lights go out...then let go. It sounds like it knows that something is wrong and knows that it needs to be reset to fix it.
INT 20h
INT 20h is offline   Reply With Quote