Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-05-2002, 07:10 PM   #1
ECUPirate
Hottest Stank of them All

Default "Explorer" = 100% CPU usage ...even when closed...

Ok, I know this doesn't go here, but.... I don't know how to post images on [H], and well, just read this thread, and maybe someone here can help.... http://www.hardforums.com/showthread...orer+CPU+usage

I just typed a nice post describing everything, but the image was too big and I lost my message, and I don't feel like retyping the whole thing!
Anyway, here's a screenshot of the problem.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorer at 100%.jpg (71.3 KB, 123 views)

my pimpin' rig: ...previously poorly cooled...
486DX-2 66mhz @ 75mhz, 4Mb ram, shared, 256Mb hard drive
Onboard VGA, watercooled, of course
16-color monitor, labtec speakers, 28kbs USRobotics modem
Windows XP (think about it)
Maze 3, DDen GF3 block, Eheim 1250, econoline van HC, 1/2" hose w/ 5/8" fittings Comair 172mm fan
ECUPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2002, 07:23 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Explorer sux, Windows sux, MS sux... I can't wait for a real alternative to MS BS. I'm leaning very hard on the idea of installing Linux...

My main gripe with explorer is how long it takes to display a directory, especially if you change drives. I remember the old DOS days when everything was faster than what they are now!!! Even my original Apple //+ could read a floppy directory faster than Windows can...

Explorer also seems to be a prime target for system failures, and it does not recover nicely at all. You can tell when your system needs to be re-imaged (re-installed) when your explorer starts crashing regularly.

Bill Gates/Microsoft shouldn't be sued for anti-competitiveness, they should be sued for incompetence!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
RickCain
Cooling Savant

It's that damn Kazaa !!!!!! Get rid of it fast.

I had the same problem and once it was removed, the problem never came back.
RickCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2002, 08:37 PM   #4
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

It's not total utilization though... go to your performance tab and you'll see that...

MS says that CPU thing is this "In Task Manager, the percentage of time that a process used the CPU since the last update. On the Task Manager Process tab, the column heading is CPU"
--768mb of PC2100 (@140FSB)
--Asus v8200 GeForce3 @ 210/490
--Maxtor 40gb Quiet + 2 IBM 40gb 60GXPs (removable) + 8gb WD
--Audigy
--Maze 3, DD Gf3 block, 2x BIX, Eheim1250
===========
WebMasta33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
ECUPirate

hmmm... the thing is, I didn't have it installed at first. I'm talkin', right after I installed xp, and was browsing through my permanent "downloads" directory, etc, these 2 PCs were acting up. FWIW, that's Kazaa lite 1.7.2. supposedly, no adware/spyware.

You guys should check out this site. ...it has tips for tweaking out machines for video editing, which I do. Has some interesting stuff that may speed up the file system in general... let me know your impressions.

http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP2.html

Maze 3, DDen GF3 block, Eheim 1250, econoline van HC, 1/2" hose w/ 5/8" fittings Comair 172mm fan
Unread 08-05-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
ECUPirate

no, regardless of what indicator you look at, CPU is at 100%... look in the bottom right corner of my screenshot.... that box is solid bright green.

Explorer hogs the CPU such that when you go to do anything, it takes FOREVER. Everything happens in slo-mo, as if I were running the PC in my sig. (It's really @ 2.7ghz.)
When you run Prime95 or F@H, the program 'gets out of the way' when you need to do something. Not explorer.

Unread 08-05-2002, 08:50 PM   #7
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by ECUPirate
You guys should check out this site. ...it has tips for tweaking out machines for video editing, which I do. Has some interesting stuff that may speed up the file system in general... let me know your impressions.

http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP2.html
I like it. It's a keeper for sure, even if you're not into video editing. There isn't anything in there that some of us can't use.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2002, 10:46 PM   #8
Haddy
Cooling Savant

its waiting for something to boot in explorer.....go to run---->type msconfig----->go under statup----->adn take a check off everything but "taskswitch" and "RUNDLL32" and whatever else u want to startup with windows....if that doesnt help i usualy just alt-ctrl-del and end the explorer task and click run and type explorer.exe......try that might help
Haddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2002, 11:47 PM   #9
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

I've seen that on mine once in a while. Each & every time it was Kazaa Lite. I killed Kazaa, that fixed the problem, then restarted Kazaa Lite & it was fine afterwards.

Even with the spyware/adware removed, the Kazaa program itself isn't that high quality of code. And if you're downloading a lot, or use the preview feature a lot, it seems to bog the system down, may even have a few mem leaks.
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 01:11 PM   #10
iceheart
Cooling Savant

Kazaa 1.7.2 has spyware... They said they removed it but that's BS, if you use Ad-Aware to delete it, Kazaa will no longer start! Claiming that you "deleted an important component". Also reading the EULA shows that they have the right to install spyware if you use the program.
Unread 08-06-2002, 01:41 PM   #11
Lucifer[OCS]
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by iceheart
Kazaa 1.7.2 has spyware... They said they removed it but that's BS, if you use Ad-Aware to delete it, Kazaa will no longer start! Claiming that you "deleted an important component". Also reading the EULA shows that they have the right to install spyware if you use the program.
no, it has a replacement of the dll used for the spyware in kazaa, but adaware picks it up as spyware cos its the same name and size. it just a decoy file so kazaa lite will start.

also, try right clicking on explorer in processes and move the priority to low
Lucifer[OCS] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 02:42 PM   #12
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Uninstall Kazaa (lite or otherwise) completely and ensure that anything BDE related is off of your machine. Then, once you are SURE that nothing Kazaa related is on your machine (run system mechanic or some other registry cleaning app to get rid of ALL references), install version Kazaa Lite v1.7.1. I had the same problem with Kazaa/Kazaa Lite. Your problem is that you somehow ended up with some of the retail components on your system. Someone probably said it was Kazaa Lite when it is really just slightly edited Kazaa (normal).

Following these steps EXACTLY will fix your problem. Make sure you get a REAL KL1.7.1 download before you fry Kazaa, though.
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 06:49 PM   #13
ECUPirate

I will try these things, but like I said, I had this problem before I even installed Kazaa on this machine.

Unread 08-06-2002, 07:25 PM   #14
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

Well, if you've had this before Kazzaa, I'm not sure what it is..

Personally, I would start reducing apps that start at boot up, then start killing applications one by one until it either fixes it, or you can't kill any more apps.If it's not another app thats doing it, I would guess it's Windows & I'd to a reinstall.
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 08:54 PM   #15
ambient
Cooling Savant

i'm with can o beans, its probably another app that uses explorer and is trying to launch it and is hosed. did you try using msconfig to turn off all the startup items? or at least the ones that don't need to load.
Unread 08-06-2002, 09:03 PM   #16
ECUPirate

Most of the stuff in the startup part I think I want to keep. I've not had time to really get down to it just yet, but perhaps I will tomorrow. Right now, I've got to shower and get down to the bar. It's mug night, after all.

Unread 08-07-2002, 01:22 PM   #17
sunblade

If you ever want another file sharing client, try WinMX.

But, all I can see in your process list is four duplicates of svchost.exe and two iexplorers running. My system runs win2k, so it might just be an XP qwerk, but I thought inetnet explorer only had one entry in the process list.

Like everybody else, I'd suggest killing programs one by one until it hopefully stops.
sunblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 01:28 PM   #18
ECUPirate

geez now I have 5 svchost.exe's running, and 2 fast.exe's.

What are those files, and why do I need so many running @ once?

Unread 08-09-2002, 02:50 PM   #19
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Kill everything on your startup. Everything. Most of it does nothing for you. The only thing you want to leave there is your virus scan software. Plus, if you're constantly starting and killing via Alt-Ctrl-Del, it can cause these problems.

Get System Mechanic and clean your registry and startup.
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote