Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 06-30-2003, 10:38 PM   #1
Seyeklopz
Cooling Neophyte

Default Mercury Heat Pipe

I was trying to find the best liquid for heat transfer and came across mercury(13 x thermal conduction than water!). The problem is mercury's boiling point is 357 Celcius. Anyone of you guys with sufficient physics/chemistry knowledge to figure how low pressure a vacuum needs to be for mercury to evaporate at around 40-60 Celcius? It may not be possible

But even if it can't be used for a heat pipe, what about just for a pumped cooling system? Silver heat sinks, mercury proof clear tubes, it'd be the most hardcore liquid cool on earth. Combined with peltiers it could work as low as -38.9 Celcius (freezing point of mercury).

I realize the dangers.. It's poisonous, and quite electrically conductive, but modding power supplies isn't exactly safe either
Seyeklopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2003, 11:30 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Were are you going to get mercury?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2003, 11:43 PM   #3
Seyeklopz
Cooling Neophyte

You can buy mercury here, by simply finding an educator in a university to do it for you as it's a restricted material :P
Unread 07-01-2003, 12:21 AM   #4
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Yeah and 500g with an approximate density of 13.5 g/cm^3 gives a rough volume of 37 odd millilitres for $31. My WC loop takes about 1.5 L to fill. So we're talking about $1200 to fill the system once, I'm assuming that's also USD meaning that's like $2000CAD. And I could buy a few vapochills or maybe a good supply of LN2. Basically I don't think, for the possible gains of a few deg C closer to ambient, it's anywhere near ... reality.

Then again, I guess after playing with the mercury for a while it might seem like a good idea. You know it kicking your ass and all.

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2003, 12:29 AM   #5
Seyeklopz
Cooling Neophyte

Water is the best coolant I guess, or a saline solution. Mercury conducts heat 13 times bettwer than water so you could theoretically build a much more compact liquid cooler with a lower volume.

Just exploring ideas.
Unread 07-01-2003, 01:00 AM   #6
Khledar
Cooling Savant

This might have interesting possibilities in a direct die approach with a very small coolant loop.

But I think it is a bit far out there

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2003, 09:24 AM   #7
surlyjoe
Cooling Neophyte

wasnt he asking about a heatpipe fluid? that dont take too much
surlyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2003, 02:25 PM   #8
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by Seyeklopz
Water is the best coolant I guess, or a saline solution. Mercury conducts heat 13 times bettwer than water so you could theoretically build a much more compact liquid cooler with a lower volume.

Just exploring ideas.
The specific heat of mecury is very low and its rather viscus. It would make a poor coolant.

not to mention the minor practical issues, like how do you pump a fluid that heavy.

Quote:
I was trying to find the best liquid for heat transfer and came across mercury(13 x thermal conduction than water!). The problem is mercury's boiling point is 357 Celcius. Anyone of you guys with sufficient physics/chemistry knowledge to figure how low pressure a vacuum needs to be for mercury to evaporate at around 40-60 Celcius? It may not be possible
The only requirement for a heatpipe is that the coolant be a liquid at the range of temperatures and pressures used. The boiling point doesn't matter directly (although boiling point is determined solely by vapor pressure which does matter). So it will work, however I'm not sure that it would beat water. It has a pretty low vapor pressure and although conductivity is high that doesn't really matter since we're using convection and not conduction inside the pipe.

Alcohol is probably better from a performance standpoint.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2003, 02:27 PM   #9
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
wasnt he asking about a heatpipe fluid? that dont take too much
No need to rolleyes. just read the thread:

Quote:
But even if it can't be used for a heat pipe, what about just for a pumped cooling system?
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2003, 02:46 PM   #10
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Forget using Mercury in a cooling loop: it's just too toxic.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote