Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 06-29-2003, 09:21 AM   #1
winewood
Cooling Savant

Default Meanwell S-240-24 240 Watt Power Supply

Hey guys..

I just bought a Meanwell S-240-24 240 Watt Power Supply. It runs on 24V. I got it cheap, therefore that is why I didn't get the 12V one. I need this to run a 172W pelt specd for 12V and 11.6 amp.
Here is the problem.. I am not an electronic guy, and this may have been a foolhardy purchase however, I need to convert this to power my 12V. Unless you think my tec could handle 24?? Any suggestions?

Not sure where to post this, as I didn't see a power mod category.

Last edited by winewood; 06-29-2003 at 07:45 PM.
winewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 10:16 AM   #2
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Default Re: Meanwell S-240-24 240 Watt Power Supply

Quote:
Originally posted by winewood
Hey guys..

I just bought a Meanwell S-240-24 240 Watt Power Supply. It runs on 24V. I got it cheap, therefore that is why I didn't get the 12V one. I need this to run a 172W pelt specd for 12V and 11.6 amp.
Here is the problem.. I am not an electronic guy, and this may have been a foolhardy purchase ($20 aint bad! ) however, I need to convert this to power my 12V. Unless you think my tec could handle 24?? Any suggestions?

Not sure where to post this, as I didn't see a power mod category.
Something doesn't make sense here. You said, "I need this to run a 172W pelt specd for 12V and 11.6 amp."

Got a link? It doesn't make sense that the TEC has the following specs:

Qmax = 172 W
Vmax = 12 V
Imax = 11.6 A

172 Watt Tec specs from Danger Den:

Qmax = 172 W
Vmax = 24.6 V
Imax = 11.3 A
dTmax = 69 °C
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
winewood
Cooling Savant

HAHAHAHAHHA!!! I was shooting from the hip. I DID buy that exat pelt, but since I am electric illiterate to the 1000th degree and I was going of memory i missed the mark.

Ok. I stand corrected now.

Can I.. should i do it? Will I be ok? I was wondering if you could run the thing on that 24V or the 12V line. I don't wanna burn up the pelt. Any suggestions are welcome. I was told that it could run on a 12V and I assumed that it should.

the suggestion to be more accurate with my numbers is implied.
Unread 06-29-2003, 11:04 AM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You'll want to run it at about 85% capacity, otherwise it just sucks up power like you can't imagine, and it's just not worth it.

Yes, you can run it at 12v, and it will perform ok, but only for a chiller, not for a CPU pelt.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
winewood
Cooling Savant

So if I just plug right in to that 24V im good to go!

How would I get that to run at 85 capacity? Somehow put 19.2V on it?
Unread 06-29-2003, 12:43 PM   #6
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

You could put a 0.5 Ohm 50 Watt resistor in series with the TEC.

That would give you about the right voltage. The resistor would be dissipating 40 Watts though, and would need a substantial heatsink.
Unread 06-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
winewood
Cooling Savant

Wouldnt that resistor be tiny? And dissipating that much heat..hmmm.. place it on the load side. Any way to work it into the internals of the case and lower the entire line?
Bah.. I have no idea why these things psu's cost so much.
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I have never taken an electrical theory or any class related.. time to take that at summer school or something.
With that much heat in question, running it strait out at 24V could be an even par tradeoff? Powerconsumption vs. Heat?
Unread 06-29-2003, 02:21 PM   #8
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Yeah somehow I don't see using a resistor to "use up" 5volts as being a particular power saver but then - I didn't so well on that circuitry midterm -stupid AC current, I never understood you -Although I didn't think my DC was that bad :P

Or does the pelt run "better" at 85% or just better in the coolingower use ratio?(Which is what I thought BigBen was implying)

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 02:31 PM   #9
winewood
Cooling Savant

I understand that for that last 15% you gain minimal cooling and it chuggs double the power.
Unread 06-29-2003, 03:04 PM   #10
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Actually depending on your hotside cooling system, you may lose CPU cooling as you take the TEC voltage above 80% of Vmax.

TEC power consumption goes up roughly as the square of the voltage, while the TEC has already reached about 90% of it's cooling capacity at 80% of Vmax.

The added temperature differential you can get across the TEC by taking the voltage above 80% of Vmax, is generally offset by the increase in hotside temperature due to the extra heat the hotside cooling system must remove.

Putting a resistor in series isn't an efficient way of reducing the voltage to the TEC, but at least the power dissipation in the resistor doesn't have to be cooled by the TEC's hotside cooling system. An additional heatsink in some existing airflow path can do the job.

A better way to go, would be to put a high efficiency adjustable DC to DC converter between the PSU and the TEC and adjust it to the voltage that gives optimum cooling, but I'm not going to explain how to do that here.
Unread 06-29-2003, 03:15 PM   #11
winewood
Cooling Savant

Do you mean one of these? (link)
If anyone can find a cheap one.. ill be greatful. No price on these.. >
Unread 06-29-2003, 04:26 PM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Here's a better idea: sell the Meanwell for a profit, and get yourself something else Don't they sell (new) for ~$100?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 04:37 PM   #13
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Those are high power linear regulators. They won't be any more efficient than a series resistor.

I don't think it would be easy to find a cheap DC to DC converter that puts out the 18 - 19 volts that would be ideal. I really think the series resistor is probably the most practical way for you to use that supply.

Resistor Link

These are available from Digi-Key. Digi-Key part # TMC50-.50-ND is a 0.5 Ohm 50 Watt resistor. They cost $5.21 each.
Unread 06-29-2003, 04:40 PM   #14
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
Here's a better idea: sell the Meanwell for a profit, and get yourself something else Don't they sell (new) for ~$100?
But what else is he going to get?

A couple PSU's could be used with +5V of one in series with +12V of the other to get 17V, but that's a lot of space taken up to do the job.

18 to 19 volts is just not a commonly used voltage.