Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 09-29-2004, 11:34 AM   #76
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

"your god Cathar"
Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
Stew is a friend, we maintain contact.
I consider Stew to be the preeminent user of the info, and suggestions, I have provided.
You would have to have been on OCAU several years back to understand our relationship.

"you don't like Europeans"
well, I grew up in California, Firenze, Zug, and Chetnole (UK); perhaps Napoli should be included as well (18-20)
my 1st wife was Italian, my Costa Rican daughter will be an exchange student in France next year
I speak (only) English, Italian, and Spanish, I did also study Latin and German but speak neither
-> yet another in-depth analysis by davidzo

"i don't believe you with the hundreds of thousands and the pvc quick connectors"
Swiftech has been selling these for years, your ignorance and unwillingness to accept my statements is laughable
who believes you ?
my track record is apparent for all to see

and to the piece de resistance:
"Why don't you learn german and read the texts yourself BillA if you are so intelligent?"
now you have equated knowing German with intelligence
BRAVO
every bigot in the German speaking world will applaud you
again, BRAVO
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2004, 12:24 PM   #77
killernoodle
Thermophile

Deutsch sind uberlegen zu allen andere.
We had Einstein.
No contest.

This fight should be taken to the PMs, but I think everyone here would rather enjoy it in public. Now, lets see if he continues to fight Bill or leave like all the rest of the undesireables.
Unread 09-29-2004, 12:42 PM   #78
Les
Cooling Savant

"your god Cathar"
The development of the Cascade/Storm can be traced to Bill's introduction of this paper on Jet-Arrays into the early OCAU's discussions
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2004, 12:55 PM   #79
killernoodle
Thermophile

I learned about impingement cooling before that but did not make the connection to apply it in watercooling.

I believe it was a TV show with some people putting in an engine for a massive container ship. It was a gigantic diesel engine and because the aluminum pistons were so large and thick, there was the threat that they would melt at the top, so they had huge holes drilled up through it where they had jets of oil spraying close to the top of the piston. This made sense to me, but I never thought of incorperating it into a waterblock.
Unread 09-29-2004, 01:09 PM   #80
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

look at every lathe in the world
Unread 09-29-2004, 01:11 PM   #81
killernoodle
Thermophile

Huh? Typical Bill ambiguity.
Unread 09-29-2004, 01:37 PM   #82
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

I would guess you do not know how to operate a lathe ?
they all have a pump and a flexible hose to direct the coolant at the bit and part
impingement cooling
Unread 09-29-2004, 01:49 PM   #83
killernoodle
Thermophile

I know how to use a lathe, but not all of them have cooling systems

All of the ones I have used were quite small.
Unread 09-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #84
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

ah so, you are correct
Unread 09-29-2004, 02:10 PM   #85
moosturdsoed25
Cooling Neophyte

Davidzo, I may not know about the science involved in waterblocks and watercooling, but I do know this. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT CATHAR, NOT YOU. The title clearly states "What about internal pics of the storm?". For the sake of learning more about the waterblock I just purchased, leave this thread and stop telling us your life story. Great, you say you want to be commercial to Cathar, then change your mind. Your story is not believable, and please just let Cathar say what he has been trying to. He has put in so much work for this block, which has benefitted the watercooling community so greatly. If you didn't know, his implications are not to "compete" with anybody. His waterblocks are made in EXTREMELY small numbers, and shame on you for getting mad at him. I think its a little late to apologize.
moosturdsoed25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2004, 02:19 PM   #86
killernoodle
Thermophile

?

Dude, take yoru rage to the PMS, the both of you

I seriously dont see how you can get mat at anyone over the internet.
Unread 09-29-2004, 03:44 PM   #87
Cathar
Thermophile

Damn, why can't I rank this thread more than once?
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2004, 03:49 PM   #88
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

no zero option so I did not vote
sorry for trashing 'your' thread
Unread 09-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #89
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

The thread holds some value. Not just the pics either.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #90
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
no zero option so I did not vote
sorry for trashing 'your' thread
Nah, it's not my thread. I didn't start it.

At OCAU I would've deleted 2/3's of the posts in this thread by now as I have zero tolerance of trolling, regardless of topic of the thread.

Trash away - it was "petrol and match" material starting on the first page (25 posts per page)
Unread 09-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #91
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

what bums me is that I did not understand what the game was, live and learn
Unread 09-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #92
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
what bums me is that I did not understand what the game was, live and learn
About a week ago I followed davidzo's link in his profile to his German forum. It was all pretty clear from there. Basically his content in this thread is a spill-over from that, except there he had no puerile kind words to say in a vain attempt to cover his true intent as attempted here.

Last edited by Cathar; 09-29-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Unread 09-29-2004, 06:23 PM   #93
Senater_Cache
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Deutsch sind uberlegen zu allen andere.
We had Einstein.
No contest.
Actually that would be
"Deutsche sind allen anderen ueberlegen"
or
"Deutsche sind ueberlegen im fergleich zu allen anderen"

(im just correcting him, not agreeing )
Senater_Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #94
Jag
Cooling Savant

I just would like to add a few words to a topic completely changed from it's initial purpose.
Though Davidzo seems to be a genuine "mole", it's amazing how the discussion tends allways to fall on the Country/Politics side to try to justify some point.

To me, part of this confusion, is dued to Cathar himself, for not being able to treat this issue in the proper manner - a commercial/business manner.
Maybe because he hasnĀ“t choosen yet which way to go, ie. full-time manufacturer or a hobbyist (a very qualified one). In my personal and humble opinion, the launch of this waterblock should have happened in his web site, with the apropriated pictures and the formal description of the product.
Let me compare this with the MCW6000 launch, which also received attention in this forum. Two different approaches.

As for BillA, I regard your function more than a tester (especiallly in this forum), but as a marketing person and a trend-setter, and a big sales motor for Swiftech.
So as an employee of Swiftech, with outlined objectives, your actions tend to reflect positively or negatively on the shape of the image your Company gets.

Now, you say you like Europeans, but nevertheless, you criticized the italians on the Cathar/radiator thread; the French in the case of Rosco, and the Germans.
It seems that you need everybody to achieve your goals, but at the same time you dispraise them.

Finally mixing WC with politics and/or cultural references about various countries (European or not) can lead to wrong results.

For example, is buying a U.S. made WC the same as helping the war in Iraq?
I think NOT.

So, unless the "politic" of proudly alone is the standard, can we overcome each other's egos and move along?
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #95
Cathar
Thermophile

I think I've made my position fairly clear that I am not a manufacturer, nor am I out for profit. I do have a target number of blocks in mind to make but even then we're only talking break even and not paying myself a wage for my time.

I do understand people's confusion with what to classify me as though, especially in the modern commercial world of watercooling. Sometimes I even wonder myself. I think as I get older I get a little more eccentric about it. I'm just doing my own thing my own way. I have a real job that pays well, I don't really want for anything, and any money I would make from waterblocks if I ever got truly commercial about it pretty much pales in comparison to my present salary. I've gotten more philosophical about it and have just decided to do what I do purely because I enjoy it, and that's the reward I get. I'm serious enough to stand behind and support the blocks I make, but that's more out of love for what I do, being pride in what I do, rather than an actual commercial policy.

Someone from OCAU described me as a "productional water-cooling philanthropist", and I quite liked that term myself. In a world where money talks and everyone's out for a buck, I appreciate the anachronism that I present, and the difficulty and confusion for those motivated by money to actually understand that the almighty dollar is not my motivation.

About the only thing that truly pisses me off is when people start bagging the stuff that I do due to their own vested commercial interests. Really, I couldn't give a rats arse about what they do or their market interests. I don't attack anyone else's products (although I will question wildly bogus claims). I do this for the enthusiasts who get excited about water-cooling the same way that I do, and this is why I neither advertise, spam, nor conduct myself in a commercially oriented manner.

If anyone believes that I'm full of shit and they can do better. Fine. Do it. I don't care. Just quit the chest beating and trumpeting and do it.
Unread 09-29-2004, 07:30 PM   #96
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

why on earth would Cathar have the same restraints as Swiftech ?

Swiftech has stocking distributors worldwide, all of whom require prior notice so that they may manage their inventories
and hopefully that Swiftech would be able to maintain the item 'in stock' for at least the initial orders
- a new wb must be integrated into the kits, test data developed, inst inst revised, the site updated
and on and on, a huge effort requiring months of planning and activities by many

Cathar is free from all that, and makes but a handful of wbs

pick a different 'problem'

feel free to regard me and my actions in the light that is pleasing to you
you may think that procooling is the Swiftech market, if so you are wrong
procooling represents the lunatic fringe of watercooling, balls to the wall
few of the Swiftech products actually fit the 'needs' of this group - but obviously I am changing that
both by improved products, AND by education - which I presume will have a trickle down effect
Marketing is not my responsibility, though as a product designer I cannot ignore it

"you criticized the italians on the Cathar/radiator thread" for taking a month off w/o ensuring their customers had stock (Siccie), and for ceasing to process a pending retail order (the rad co)
GUILTY

"the French in the case of Rosco" (several individuals) for not giving ME a heads up
GUILTY

"and the Germans" I'm sure I defamed someone, davidzo ??
GUILTY

sorry, but I don't feel guilty
are you saying that to criticize Cathar is a slander on all Aussies ? (it sure is on OCAU !, lol)
Unread 09-29-2004, 11:18 PM   #97
peepingdan
Cooling Neophyte

As an unbiased third party reading this thread, I have a few observations.
Please do not hesitate to correct me on any points I have overlooked or misunderstood.
First, Davidzo seems to have a problem expressing himself in English. I really hope some of the mean things he said are just mistranslations. He apologizes and attacks in the same sentence. Second, BillA, calm down please. Being angry at a guy that has such a weak grasp of English is a little silly. He has denied commercial ties outside of Germany, and I see nothing that would elude to him hating auslanderen. You are taking this all a little too personally. I do not understand why Cathar is so angry, but I'm sure I will understand soon.
I did not agree with Davidzo's comment on Swiftech's testings of push fittings. I am in a small company that uses a lot of weird fittings and I know it is possible for Swiftech to perform accurate and extensive quality control tests. That was an attack on your competency in my opinion.
As for the original intent of the thread, I will voice my interest in purchasing a Storm water block, but my location in the USA might make this a little difficult.
peepingdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2004, 11:47 PM   #98
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepingdan
I do not understand why Cathar is so angry, but I'm sure I will understand soon.
davidzo has been attacking me and my work almost non-stop in various threads for the last two weeks. This thread is just a continuation of the issue he has with me. Have let a lot of what he has said pass in the past, but getting pretty sick of it by now.

In a word: history.
Unread 09-30-2004, 12:02 AM   #99
killernoodle
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senater_Cache
Actually that would be
"Deutsche sind allen anderen ueberlegen"
or
"Deutsche sind ueberlegen im fergleich zu allen anderen"

(im just correcting him, not agreeing )

Hey man, that is two years of german in high school you are disagreeing with... are you sure you know what you are doing

JK
Unread 09-30-2004, 02:21 AM   #100
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...5&pagenumber=7

Seems hes been around (and hassling cathars work) for some time.