Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 10-05-2004, 11:19 AM   #176
Incoherent
Cooling Savant

Why is the baseplate picture all blurry.?
Looks like a stepped pin like a round ziggurat at the base of the cups?
And maybe a step or two on the sides of the cups? and rounded exit edges?
The jets have an acceleration taper I guess

Is there anything wrong with your camera again Cather?

I like it.

Incoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #177
greenman100
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Effect
G5

will you make the G5 and 6 in copper aswell? or is the performance gain from the silver?

no G5 in copper

no G6 at all

G5 is a different design physicaly, but requires more machine time and therefore is the "high end" block
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 12:15 PM   #178
Nugit
Cooling Neophyte

Can we have a closeup of those delrin pins plz? I'm startin' to feed on photos of raw delrin... almost as good as copper
Nugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #179
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Cathar:
Why don't you use bsp barbs with an o-ring seal rather than the "goop"? Would look a lot "smarter".

Also that G5 in silver looks so pretty... wife would get jealous of having something like that in the house
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 04:36 PM   #180
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Cathar:
Why don't you use bsp barbs with an o-ring seal rather than the "goop"? Would look a lot "smarter".
I live in Australia. I work with the hand I'm dealt with. Right now the entire country is out of the barbs that I used on the block as it is. O-ring seal barbs like DTek use are non-existent here, or at least none of the supply places have them just sitting around. Can special order them in, but not cheaply in any fashion.

These are the joys of living in a nation with a small population base that also does not make a large portion of US consumed products.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 04:42 PM   #181
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugit
Can we have a closeup of those delrin pins plz? I'm startin' to feed on photos of raw delrin... almost as good as copper
I had a few closeup pics, but they are a little fluffy on the ends due to using very old cutters. The tool used to cut the delrin tubes had already been through about 40 of the G4 copper plates. Just a prototype here so it's not "picture perfect".

Incoherent, the pictures appear a little blurry, but this time it's not on purpose. I had to use no flash on the camera because the flash was just reflecting off the silver and over-exposing large portions the scene. Again, these are not really well finished due to the cutters used and I didn't want to go exposing the minor flaws as a result and get jumped on by certain teutonic individuals with a vested interest in chest thumping.
Unread 10-05-2004, 05:52 PM   #182
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Cathar:

Also that G5 in silver looks so pretty... wife would get jealous of having something like that in the house
I really like those. I'm assuming they would require a thread change?
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #183
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SysCrusher
I really like those. I'm assuming they would require a thread change?
I find it a little superficial myself. Once you get the tubing and hose-clamps on, attempting to see what's going on with the seal of the barbs to the block is next to impossible. It'd be purely for "fresh-out-of-the-box" appeal only.

I'll look into it harder, but as said above, they are neither abundantly available nor cheap here in Oz.
Unread 10-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #184
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
I find it a little superficial myself. Once you get the tubing and hose-clamps on, attempting to see what's going on with the seal of the barbs to the block is next to impossible. It'd be purely for "fresh-out-of-the-box" appeal only.

I'll look into it harder, but as said above, they are neither abundantly available nor cheap here in Oz.

I understand what your saying. I'm not for the bling side of it but more of the ease of changing barbs with out using some sort of thread sealer. Though I never used them before so I really have no idea if they truely work in that fashion. I'm always changing barb sizes since I like to play, try something new or test out a new home made block. So barbs that are a snap to use would be a nice thing for me. But how many buyers of your block going to change barbs? At what cost are they willing to pay more for those "fancy" barbs? How many really care? Not many I bet. Most likely not worth your time or money.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 06:14 PM   #185
Torin
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah, it's just superficial. The best performing waterblock in the world doesn't need to look good, it just needs to perform good. Anyone so obsessed with the looks of their block should just get a Chrome PolarFlo TT and not worry about those of us who aren't concerned with how a jumbled mass of wires, hoses, cables, capacitators, solder points and chunks of metal look together.

Last time I checked, the fastest workstations in the world were ugly as hell.
Torin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #186
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

your opinion perhaps
NOT how it works in the marketplace

a lack of bling has hurt the MCW6000
GOOD bling has 'made' the PolarFLO

yea

Last edited by BillA; 10-05-2004 at 07:31 PM.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #187
Torin
Cooling Neophyte

How it does in the marketplace should be a concern to the manufacturer, not the end user.

For someone like Cathar who isn't in it for the same reasons as Swiftech or PolarFlo, there is no reason to have bling.

There will always be people that buy computer parts for how they look, as opposed to how they perform, and all together we make up the marketplace. The MCP6002's low pressure performance values have also helped it. I dare not say I am an expert in balancing bling with performance.

It's the rice boy phenomenon extended to computers... people who care more about looking good, looking cool, looking fast, as opposed to actually being fast. If the marketplace is dominated by rice boys, then that's where the money is at. If you aren't in it for the money, then the state of the marketplace is not your concern.

I agree, bling helps sales because a large majority of the population is superficial. So be it.

I for one will spend my money on performance, and not a $2000 paint job and $5000 stereo system.

The concept of a "sleeper" is far too under-represented. Maybe the world isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the idea.
Torin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 07:09 PM   #188
peepingdan
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torin
How it does in the marketplace should be a concern to the manufacturer, not the end user.

For someone like Cathar who isn't in it for the same reasons as Swiftech or PolarFlo, there is no reason to have bling.

There will always be people that buy computer parts for how they look, as opposed to how they perform, and all together we make up the marketplace. The MCP6002's low pressure performance values have also helped it. I dare not say I am an expert in balancing bling with performance.

It's the rice boy phenomenon extended to computers... people who care more about looking good, looking cool, looking fast, as opposed to actually being fast. If the marketplace is dominated by rice boys, then that's where the money is at. If you aren't in it for the money, then the state of the marketplace is not your concern.

I agree, bling helps sales because a large majority of the population is superficial. So be it.

I for one will spend my money on performance, and not a $2000 paint job and $5000 stereo system.

The concept of a "sleeper" is far too under-represented. Maybe the world isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the idea.
I would say that the "bling" is in the performance and the name.
I see a lot of superficialty around where I live, one of the richest towns in the nation. I witness a lot of "riced out" civics and I just have to wonder why, why does my 2001 Daewoo Nubira leave them in the dust?
Not saying that PolarFlo makes a bad block, because they make a very good one.
peepingdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 07:28 PM   #189
scooterfl
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
your opinion perhaps
NOT how it works in the marketplace

a lack of bling has hurt the MCP6000
GOOD bling has 'made' the PolarFLO
you mean the MCW6000
Unread 10-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #190
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Wow that is a gorgeous block Cathar. Great work man. Great work from a nice guy, hope your sales go through the roof.
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #191
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofunk
hope your sales go through the roof.
I hope they don't. Am seriously struggling to find the time to do even the amount that I'm doing now. Happy to do it, but after two straight weeks of prepping and assembling and trying to work that around my job and family, it hasn't been easy on me. Things should go a little smoother from here on out though as I'm pretty sure all the bugs are now ironed out of the process.
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:13 AM   #192
allnighter
Cooling Neophyte

Cathar... any rough ETA on G5. I know you're planning a small batch so I'm sure some of us would like to get ready and put some green aside. Are they going in after the new batch of G4's or earlier . What are your plans for that?

Last edited by allnighter; 10-06-2004 at 12:38 AM.
allnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 02:57 AM   #193
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
I live in Australia. I work with the hand I'm dealt with. Right now the entire country is out of the barbs that I used on the block as it is. O-ring seal barbs like DTek use are non-existent here, or at least none of the supply places have them just sitting around. Can special order them in, but not cheaply in any fashion.

These are the joys of living in a nation with a small population base that also does not make a large portion of US consumed products.
hmm, do your engineers have a CNC lathe? Ive personally designed and machined up fittings on a CNC lathe; its pretty quick, especially compared to a block. Shouldnt cost too much a fitting - might even get close to the price you pay for the ones you're using now, if you do a long enough run (ie, 100+, which i imagine you will...)
Unread 10-06-2004, 03:56 AM   #194
Incoherent
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda
- might even get close to the price you pay for the ones you're using now, if you do a long enough run (ie, 100+, which i imagine you will...)
...with totally unique thread sizes for your now captive market...

... the HP printer cartridge, Gillette razor blade technique. Could help you recoup your losses.

I am not serious.
Incoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 04:30 AM   #195
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda
hmm, do your engineers have a CNC lathe? Ive personally designed and machined up fittings on a CNC lathe; its pretty quick, especially compared to a block. Shouldnt cost too much a fitting - might even get close to the price you pay for the ones you're using now, if you do a long enough run (ie, 100+, which i imagine you will...)
Hmmm, price I pay now is $1.28 Aussie (~$0.90 US) per fitting (prior to getting them nickel plated). After factoring in material and labor costs, they would need to be popping out around one barb per 30 secs to match that price.
Unread 10-06-2004, 05:20 AM   #196
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Doubt it would be that quick (would be w/o the thread, but im assuming the thread would be the killer) but I guess its worth asking. Saves the goop application and allows for easy resealing of the block if the user breaks the seal. Adds integrity to the design imo - makes it seem more 'solid'.
Unread 10-06-2004, 07:00 AM   #197
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I don't know that it really adds a huge amount to the "bling factor" compared to the nickel plated barbs you have. I just think it looks a little more professional and adds a little to ease of use since you never have to clean silicon off threads if you need to fiddle with the barbs. Also the quality of the rest of the block makes the goop look a lil out of place.

I also realize that digital cameras tend to really emphasize it (esp on the black Delrin top) more than if you see the block in person. And it's a minor detail for sure.

But I'm just sayin' is all
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:54 AM   #198
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

How about making the barbs staight out from the Delrin, so that they are part of the top plate ala silverprop?
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #199
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

probably because Cathar has to pay the full commercial rate for the machine time
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #200
HammerSandwich
Cooling Savant

The Storm's suitability for almost any system is a major plus. Integrating one barb size into the top plate would be a step back.