Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-24-2002, 11:42 AM   #76
mo
Cooling Savant

Well, one motherboard, and a cracked leaking res. later my system is finally up and running. I have no temps yet as Im just glad to see it boots and runs for a change!!!:P Anyways, before going further, I want to tag down the way the system is going to be filled and drained.
The way I want to do the draining is using 2 2way ball valves (3 way valves are EXPENSIVE). Id stop the system and pump, switch the system valve off and the drain valve on, then turn the pump back on to flush the system. Now the pump has dry cutoff,but Im still worried this going to potentially harm my pump...

What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: gif system.gif (3.4 KB, 30 views)
mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 11:51 AM   #77
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

IMO, the valve that's in the loop is unecessary. Just leave the bottom valve, and let the system drain by itself. That's what I'm aiming for.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 10:50 AM   #78
mo
Cooling Savant

Well... Im running Idle CPU temps at 40-41 degrees centigrade:P Temp inside the case is 29 degrees. Cant calculate water temps as of yet. Not exactly impressive... Im currently running pump->block->rad->res->pump. Dangerden maze3 block, GMC 10 3/4 x 5 5/8 x 2 heatercore with a 1inch steel shroud, 2 x panaflo L1A for the heatercore and 1 L1A blowing on the custom sealife T2 pump.

My pump primed in under an hour so that went relatively painlessly but wondering why my idle temps are so high... tightening the waterblock onto the cpu further just made my temps stay at 41 as opposed to range between 40-41. Im a little worried of tightening too much and destroying my processor.

One thing Ive noticed is some people are mentioning that if you use 2 heatercores in parallel you might be able to passively cool the system (fanless). Im really wondering how that could be possible. Just my pump alone with no fan running will get my water temps almost to boiling over a 24 hour period.
Unread 10-28-2002, 11:36 AM   #79
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It might be possible (without fans) but you would get a much better heat dissipation with just about any kind of fan.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 11:51 AM   #80
gmat
Thermophile

Believe me, water will not boil if you leave your pump on with no fan Actually an equilibrium point is reached, and this point is even lower than full load + running fans temps...
Many German modders are running their rad without fan. What you need is a good convection (put the rad horizontally) and good surface area (no BiX..)
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 12:00 PM   #81
mo
Cooling Savant

Its just slightly disappointing though to see that Im getting the same temps that my stock intel fan gave me...even with a DD Maze3 and everything else. Ill cross my fingers and try tightening the block on the cpu some more tonight and see if it helps at all