Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-27-2003, 10:33 PM   #1
golovko
Cooling Savant

Default HYDOR 320gph pump

has anyone gotten one of these pumps? how do they rank compared to ehiems or danners?
golovko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2003, 04:24 AM   #2
gmat
Thermophile

If 320gph means 1200lph -> then you're talking about the Seltz L30 II which i've been using for more than 1y and half.
Its flow characteristics are exactly the same as the Eheim 1250.
It's running a bit hotter.
It's making a slight noise, nothing disturbing, but i can hear it. Noisier than Eheims, indeed.
It produces a lot of vibrations, i had to suspend it with rubber bands. I think Eheims and other centrifugal pumps have the same problem though.
The impeller *has* to be glued. I ran through 2 shaft+propeller sets though, as they tend to wear and produce a deep "scratching" noise over time.
The casing is nice and small, connections (inlet / outlet) are standard and compatible with Eheim products. 1/2" inlet and outlet, and a nice tubing attachment system, but not compatible with thick-walled tubing
Price wise, i had it for 1/3 of the price of a 1250, that was the deciding factor for me. Today i have less financial problems, i'd maybe opt for a 1250, who knows.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Ya mine has a slight rattle. I would glue the impeller, but I have it all gooped inside my res. Oh well. Overall I am quite impressed with size/performance of the L30 and would recommend it instead of the Eheim 1250 based on price and size.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
golovko
Cooling Savant

thanks guys. ill take that into consideration. i busted the inlet to my mag drive 3, so im looking to get a new pump.
Unread 01-28-2003, 10:24 AM   #5
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Check online and you can find a replacment inlet for the mag3
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
golovko
Cooling Savant

where at? like an aquarium type site?
Unread 01-28-2003, 04:43 PM   #7
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by gmat
If 320gph means 1200lph -> then you're talking about the Seltz L30 II which i've been using for more than 1y and half.
Its flow characteristics are exactly the same as the Eheim 1250.
It's running a bit hotter.
It's making a slight noise, nothing disturbing, but i can hear it. Noisier than Eheims, indeed.
It produces a lot of vibrations, i had to suspend it with rubber bands. I think Eheims and other centrifugal pumps have the same problem though.
The impeller *has* to be glued. I ran through 2 shaft+propeller sets though, as they tend to wear and produce a deep "scratching" noise over time.
The casing is nice and small, connections (inlet / outlet) are standard and compatible with Eheim products. 1/2" inlet and outlet, and a nice tubing attachment system, but not compatible with thick-walled tubing
Price wise, i had it for 1/3 of the price of a 1250, that was the deciding factor for me. Today i have less financial problems, i'd maybe opt for a 1250, who knows.
You think there is a way to build more pressure with it? You know the space between the side of the impellor and the impellor housing? What if I made that smaller.

I'v been using the same pump and I'm happy with it. Mine doesn't produce alot of heat but I can feel the warmth from it though it's slight and not hot to the touch. It does make that slight rattle once in awhile for about a second. That's the only noise I hear from it. Not even a hum and it's sitting on the bare steel bottom of my case.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 02:10 AM   #8
gmat
Thermophile

First i can hear it because it's in the fanless part of my case, and overall my system produces very little noise. Most ppl say they cannot hear fans that i can hear 2 rooms across, or HDDs that produce a distinct whistle, or even pumps
Comparatively, this pump is noisier than Eheims. Like i said nothing disturbing, if you've got a fanned case anyway you won't hear anything. Its real strength is the price...

About pressure, i'm nout sure about the impeller housing, but porting the inlets may be beneficial, one has to have a spare inlet cap though, just in case
Unread 01-29-2003, 04:26 AM   #9
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
GMAT - Guess you're using the 230/240V-50HZ European version L30, right?
FYI European version of L30 consumes 27W and comes with a steel shaft.

The 115V-60HZ US version of Hydor L30 that we carry consumes 23W and comes with a ceramic shaft. They're also optimized for max head by Hydor.

We offer Eheims over at CoolTechnica too and there's no doubt that Eheims are very good pumps. Before Hydors I usd nothing but Eheim pumps in my own rigs.
But I don't want anyone to think that Hydors are cheaper than Eheims because they're lesser quailty. Eheims are more expensive because of Eheim's established brand, but also because many middle men involved here in the US adding high mark-ups and increasing the cost of the Eheims. Which makes it very difficult for us to offer them at better prices. On the other hand we carry the Hydor pumps direct from the factory, so we can offer the best prices on them. Once we start getting more volume orders, the Hydor prices are going to become more attractive because, then we're going to bring them to the US via Ocean instead of expensive Air shipment.

Also size wise Eheims are bulky compared to Hydors. Hydor L30 is half the size of Eheim 1250 and Hydor L20 is half the size of 1048. I don't think, it's a good thing that the pump takes a lot of space inside the case. And Eheim 1250 definitely takes up unnecessary space inside the case, without offering any better performance than the Hydor L30. We used to have a hard time hiding the 1250 behind the Hard Drive cage in the gTower cases that we use for our AquaXtreme water-cooled cases.

Anyways just wanted to highlight couple of points.
Any input from you guys is always highly appreciated.

Bruce

Last edited by dacooltech; 01-29-2003 at 04:35 AM.
dacooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 06:49 AM   #10
gmat
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by dacooltech
The 115V-60HZ US version of Hydor L30 that we carry consumes 23W and comes with a ceramic shaft. They're also optimized for max head by Hydor.
Ahh that explains a lot The U.S. version seems more interesting indeed.

Quote:
Eheims are more expensive because of Eheim's established brand, but also because many middle men involved here in the US adding high mark-ups and increasing the cost of the Eheims.
I concur on the "established brand", though they're awfully expensive here in Europe as well. Like i said i had my Hydor for about 1/3 of the price...

Quote:
And Eheim 1250 definitely takes up unnecessary space inside the case, without offering any better performance than the Hydor L30.
Yep. The only thing i'd worry about is longevity, with the glued impeller and heavy backpressure... Bought mine in March 2001 and it's still running (everyday, heavy use -> 3 waterblocks), but i had to change the shaft. If the US version has a ceramic shaft, it may not be a problem though.

Quote:
Your comments are welcome
The fact is, i *did* buy a Hydor, so overall i consider it's a better pump, especially if we consider the 'bang for the buck'.
Unread 01-29-2003, 09:42 AM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by gmat
If the US version has a ceramic shaft, it may not be a problem though.
How do you figure?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 10:15 AM   #12
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

less wear
Iwaki pumps are ceramic also
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 10:42 AM   #13
golovko
Cooling Savant

like billa said, less wear (ceramics tend to be harder than metals). speaking of iwaki pumps, ive heard good things about them. where can you get them at? price range? im looking for a strong pump that will last b/c im planning on building a water chiller here in the next few months.
Unread 01-29-2003, 04:55 PM   #14
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:

Anyways just wanted to highlight couple of points.

Bruce
Thanks for the great service! The 120 delta fan I bought. The rpm sensor doesn't work? I got it running at 7 volt so it's not a big issue for me. At 12 volt it still doesnt work. Might be my board but it could be that It has to have the ground connected to the ground pin on the board?
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2003, 12:37 AM   #15
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Your comments are welcome
The fact is, i *did* buy a Hydor, so overall i consider it's a better pump, especially if we consider the 'bang for the buck'.
I know Gmat But thanks again for your post because this gave me the chance to highlight couple of points, which I think are important.

BTW ceramic shaft also releases less heat in to the coolant

SysCrusher please e-mail cooltech@cooltechnica.com.

Bruce
Unread 02-14-2003, 12:45 PM   #16
OTMOPO3OK
Cooling Neophyte

IS Hydor L30 (US version) magnetically shielded or not....
thx
Unread 02-14-2003, 12:51 PM   #17
golovko
Cooling Savant

ive been running a danner mag drive 3 for about a year now right next to my hard drive rack and have had no problems. im sure the hydor is the same way, magnetic fields from these pumps dont seem to affect anything in my experience.
Unread 02-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #18
gmat
Thermophile

I don't think the EU version is that much different from the US version, so i can answer: i've been running my L30 near my HDD rack (in a YY cube so there's a metal wall in between) without any problem.
Unread 02-14-2003, 01:09 PM   #19
OTMOPO3OK
Cooling Neophyte

NO NO i'm not at all concerned about the pump affecting HD i'm conserned about my monitor...cos my current pump sits next to my monitor on the desk and it makes my monitor flicker like crazy..i had to move it...

Last edited by OTMOPO3OK; 02-14-2003 at 03:57 PM.
OTMOPO3OK is offline   Reply With Quote