Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 01-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Odin
Cooling Neophyte

Default Soldering doubts

Hi people,

i'm projecting a gpu wblock and i need some information about soldering.

wich equipment i need to sold copper?

i need to sold 2 pieces of 3mm thickness copper by their sides (3mm).

the final piece would be resistant? it would be the wblock base.... it must be flat and very resistant.

that is possible?

Thanks,

Odin.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Soldering doubts

Lower temp solder is easier, but softer. Any time you put heat to a flat piece of copper you are going to have a warpage problem if heated to high or not even. If you get some 63/37 solder, it melts around 362 deg F. You could do it in a oven. Just make sure all parts are throughly clean and the surfaces fluxed. Plumbing solder is higher temp. Since lead solder is no longer allowed in drinking water, most are a pb/ag mix. 100% pb is more durable/plyable than the alloy. The alloy is harder.

If you had a jig to hold the pieces in place. Say 2 small pins in a pilot holes, out of the water jacket. You could use some solder (0.030+") between the plates where you want it to be soldered. Put it in over with a small weight on top (full coverage) and let it to the work. When done, turn off and crack door. Slow cooling will help prevent warpage.
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote