Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-22-2000, 09:55 AM   #1
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Default Project: Double Header

I am getting pretty good progress on the article for this. The first article is going to be on the Cooling technology and the coolign setup I am using.

Stay tuned.

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2000, 07:35 PM   #2
shadow
Cooling Neophyte

sweet keep it going bro!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2000, 11:14 PM   #3
Joe

one more day.... I am fooling with Windows 2000 on my main pc tongiht. Will have the first part posted tomarrow.

C-ya then!

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 02-23-2000, 01:43 PM   #4
Joe

After doing some close looks at my system it seems to be running warm. Dunno why.

The CPU temps are 95/95 for both CPU's and the Chipset is at 110 Deg F.

I was hoping for much lower temps. I may have to go through and re-check my setup. its also getting warmer here in the cold North (WI). Its 60 Deg today, which by all measures is a heatwave. That means my apt temp goes up to about 75 Deg durring the day. (my apt is hot as hell.. dunno why.) Hmm.. Maybe time to get some Pelts. But I cant afford 30$ a piece right now, and I also need to score a 400+ watt PS for that, anyone know a place to buy one of them??

I do believe that this is cooler then what the chipset was running with one CPU in the system and air cooled. and by about 30 Deg F! so its prolly much better, but I would rather have it below 100Deg. maybe with my new cooler I can get that.

This coolign system is coolign much more now then it was before. I twas only cooling a Celery slug. Now it is cooling, 4 cache chips, 1 chipset, and 2 cpu cores. I know that if I kill the fan on my radiator setup she gets awful hot REAL fast. but with the fan running its cold to the touch. WIth the bleeder setup I made I can actually see the water level change as it gets hotter and colder. But you need to give ti a few days to get any air outta the lines before you can do any scientific reading off of it.

I am going to have the "Project DH - Cooling Tech" segment put up tonight.

C-ya then!

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 02-23-2000, 05:31 PM   #5
shadow
Cooling Neophyte

perhaps you can create another water loop and use a peltier or two to "chill" the water in the loop hooked up to the hot stuff. Have your second loop hooked up to the radiator.

shadow.
Unread 02-24-2000, 08:36 AM   #6
shadow
Cooling Neophyte

no article
Unread 02-24-2000, 09:00 AM   #7
Joe

Yeh.. Sorry I was working on it untill 2:00am and I needed to get to sleep or I would never get to work and I was also so tired I didnt know what I was typing anymore . I am hoping to finish it up at lunch today.

I changed to NetObjects Fusion 5 and had to re-write a load of stuff to get it to work with the new version. so that screwed me up nicely for the night.

Very Sorry, but in order to keep the quality up on the article I gotta snag some ZZzzz..'s here and there

It WILL be up today.

its coming together.

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 02-24-2000, 11:59 AM   #8
shadow
Cooling Neophyte

xcuse ma ingorance butt whuts NetObjects Fusion 5?

and don't worry dood, I'm just giving you a hard time
Unread 02-24-2000, 01:14 PM   #9
Joe

Half of it is up, I have alot of graphics work to do and thats time consuming (croping, shrinking, enlarging, and also sifting through about 50 images)

I am going to work on getting alot done tonight on it.

NetObjects Fusion is the web dev. app I am using to make the site. and v5 is the new one I am messing with. Seems buggy as all hell though.

------------------
C-ya
Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 02-24-2000).]
Unread 02-25-2000, 05:31 PM   #10
Robry
Cooling Neophyte

Joe,

I remember seeing a 400w PS over at Compgeeks.com. I forget who makes it, but I do remember that it was AMD Althon certified. It was only around 70 bucks. Looked good to me, I would have picked one up, but I'm broke. Oh and BTW, I enjoy your site =>]

Robry
xxrobryxx@aol.com
Robry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2000, 08:22 AM   #11
Morphector
Cooling Neophyte

Buy 2 old 200watt power supply from 286,386 or 486 or wathever it will probably cost you 25-30 buck for them maximum....
Morphector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2000, 10:07 AM   #12
Joe

In theroy the 2x 200watt PS thing works, but in execution it doesnt.

You cant power a MB with 2 PS's but you can distribute power to your devices with 2PS's.

the old PS's are perfect for Pelt's.

I am going to try and get my grubs on a few Pelts to test with soon.

I am also working on taking my cooling system apart to check on how I have the Coolers seated on the chips. I think I may have a bit to much heatsink paste and its hindering my cooling. I am also going to work on upgrading to P3-450's soon.

Another thing I am designing is a small sandwich setup. Basicly slapping a Micro cooler on the back of the CPU also. Just to pull any built up heat away. I am finding that is the hottest place on the chip even with the cooler on the top.

Thanks for the kind words! and Hope you continue to enjoy this site and let me know what else you would like to see!

take it easy!

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 02-26-2000, 10:30 AM   #13
Morphector
Cooling Neophyte

Just take a ps for the mb ant the other ps for the peripherical!!!and it will do it perfectly
Morphector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2000, 10:43 AM   #14
Joe

Most Dual MB's require a 300Watt+ to power them.

I basicly have done that. I have all my HD's in a SCSI tower with a 300Watt PS in that, and then in my case that only powers the MB, DVD-ROM, DAT, ZIP, and floppy.

But to power some heavy duty Pelt's I could use an extra 100Watts to power them in order to not drop the power to much thats going to the MB.

I was thinking while in bed last night of a few new setups I can try. One is VERY overkill, but could be very cool, it would require 2 or 3 pumps, 3 waterblocks (2 REAL big ones) and 6 Pelts. Its the same design that www.frostyfox.com used for a super cool athlon setup. I am pondering that. I am shopping at some auto and morotcycle stores today to see what I can find in water coolers or tranny coolers. I will let you guys know what I find.

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 02-26-2000, 12:20 PM   #15
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

I would definately check out the local recyclers for some condensor coils or whatnot... cheap stuff plus the tubes they use are usually copper, and can inspect to see if there might be any leaks. If there turn out to be leaks, and the tubing is copper, you can always fix that. Mine has 40 (!!) runs of copper tubing, each 16" long. I know I checked out tranny coolers from everywhere, new and used, they don't compare in size and especially not in cost.

my 2 cents
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2000, 12:47 PM   #16
shadow
Cooling Neophyte

yeah but do condersor coils cool as well as well as tranny radiators?
Unread 02-26-2000, 02:01 PM   #17
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

Well, I would think that they would. The look about the same design, I mean several passes of copper tubing (mine is only like 5/16" - 3/8" ID I think... argh) with many, many, MANY fins of aluminum for secondary cooling. I know that of all of the condensor coils I've seen, they have many more fins and thus much more surface area, and many more passes of tubing. I was SUPPOSE to go home this weekend to spiff up my condensor coil, but the weather forced me to stay at school (I don't like for my car to be blown into on coming traffic, or vise versa)... bad winds yesterday/last night/this morning. I'll let you know what kind of increase I get from my heater core to the condensor coil, though..

I have seen others use a condensor coil as well, and without a fan on the thing, have only a 4 deg F raise in water temp using a K6-2.... seems like the way to go, especially considering the price difference between a new trany cooler (raning from $30 to $70), or a <$10 condensor coil.

[This message has been edited by Rich W (edited 02-26-2000).]
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2000, 08:33 AM   #18
Joe

Found the reason one CPU would always get hotter then the other.

Seems as if the temp sensor on these chips are on the back of the CPU or are very sensative to that area. The GeForce DDR card I have below the bottom chip is "heated" by the DDR card! WHich is unfortunate since I cant move the card anywhere, and the cpu just has to grin and bear it. I am working on a video card/video ram cooler this week. I need to figure out why my tube bender wont bend stuff anymore first.. it just kinks the tube

Also

My radiator is a condensor coil from a window AC system I think. it has 23 copper lines running through it, and a billion aluminum fins.

I am hunting for another one but Meci seems to be flat out of them.

------------------
C-ya
Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 02-28-2000).]
Unread 03-09-2000, 08:20 PM   #19
rickj

joe,
i am also using a dual setup (epox kp6-bs w/ 400 celery's oc'ed to 618mhz). i made an unusual discovery after installing win2000 the other day. in win 98, with the same cpu speed and voltage, my cpu runs much cooler than in win 2000. if fact running seti or prime 95 in coutinuously for 1 hour in win 98 is still cooler than win 2000 @ idle. the curious thing is that win 98 temps vary much more than win 2000 in regaurds to cpu usage. i got a 20c temp diffrence between idle and 100% cpu usage in win 98, and 2c in win2000. i am using a hard mounted termistor on the back of my cpu's, no flakey MB monitor readings.........i am using a closed loop, room temp water cooling system with radiator.

if you have further coments or questions, please e-mail me:

rickj@addvision.com

rick jonston
cedar ridge, ca

Unread 03-09-2000, 08:54 PM   #20
shadow
Cooling Neophyte

wow that is very interesting, I take it you've eyed your CPU load under 2k. Perhaps there are some threads in there that are running in the background. Can you look at ALL the processes that 2k is running, including the ones MS tries to hide from us?

shadow
Unread 03-09-2000, 11:57 PM   #21
Joe

Wow that is interesting, but I have noticed the same thing.

It was like 80 Deg in my apt in the last week, and durring that heat wave, the chips in my machine under W2K were idle at 100 Deg F and hte chipset was idle at 125 Deg. Under W98 under Q3A or Adobe premire doing some rendering of video clips the max temp the chips reach is 95Deg and the chipset never breaks 110Deg.

Strange but not unexpected Since W2K does rock on both CPU's a marginal increase in temp is expected.

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 01-05-2003, 12:07 AM   #22
ItsSoLARGE
Cooling Savant

sounds like a great article...
Unread 01-05-2003, 02:12 AM   #23
Brad
Thermophile

random bump of the year award goes to itsso

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 02:25 AM   #24
Joe

no shit... itsso you a bit bored?

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Unread 01-05-2003, 01:00 PM   #25
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

holy cow!

A resurrection has been performed of utter greatness
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote