Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 01-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
JBPuterguy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Ultimate Water Cooler

Saw this in the window of a local computer store and thought I'd pass it along. This is a dual processor PII server board imersed in a fish tank. It is acually powered up and operating. There is no fake seperate compartment for the MB like you see the tanks with the canary in it. You can see the bubbles come up around the CPU. Has to be distilled water. No real question here, just wanted to share.

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0112081919.jpg (173.4 KB, 41 views)
JBPuterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Default Re: Ultimate Water Cooler

Its mineral oil. The idea has been done a lot but without some kind of heat exchange, any modern processor would heat the oil too fast. Here is one I did:

If you want to do this yourself, make sure you use oil (motor oil, vegetable oil (which can rot and may have salt), or mineral oil (very expensive)) But remember this is for fun, its not actually useful. Just remember those P2 kalamaths don't make as much heat as a C2D. Here are a few ideas that could make this a decent setup:
1. cover hard drive in a thin layer of silicon leaving dry spots to stick heat sinks and then let it get oil cooled too
2. use a pump suited for thick liquids to move the water through a heat exchange to get rid of that extra heat
3. Use a compressor to cool the liquid in the tank (but use a plastic tank and insulate it)
What the one you showed dose:
1. Looks nice
2. May keep quiet for a little while
But keep in mind that those P2s are fan less anyway!
Now the system I did had an air pump to make bubbles and circulate the oil which dose help a bit but the oil did get pretty hot. It was a celeron 2.5 and geforce 6200.

And welcome to the best cooling forum on the net!
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

That actually could be water. Looks pretty clear for oil. Pure water is not conductive.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
JBPuterguy
Cooling Neophyte

It was water. It was too clear to be oil and the bubbles acted as if they where in water. If you use distilled water, all the impurities are removed and then it isn't conductive. Even the fans on the power supply were turning. Just a thought, if you leave the heatsink and fan on the CPU, even a P4, the fan would move the water past the fins to take the heat from the heatsink. The next problem is how big of a fish tank would you have to get or would you have to use a rad to get rid of the excess heat?
JBPuterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
That actually could be water. Looks pretty clear for oil. Pure water is not conductive.
I know this but back when tom's hardware did their oil PC I think they tried to use water but even the purest watter they could find would still cause shorts. From the look of that stuff I don't see why it can't be mineral oil. Dose it say its water or did they tell you that?