Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 09-11-2003, 08:34 PM   #1
Ubernerdsteve
Cooling Neophyte

Default cooling system problem

Alright, right now Im running a Swiftech MCW462-UHT water block with a 226W pelt on it. I have the recommended meanwell psu for it, and (this is where i think the problem is) an Ice micro radiator. My processor is still running at 90 degrees F. You think if i got a bigger radiator (much bigger) it would be running at the temps i desire having a 226 watt pelt...when i first boot up my computer the processor temp is right around 32F (0C). Oh yes I am running a 145GPH pump in a reservior made out of gladware! I think the primary problem here is im cheap, but I just want to know what size radiator would be better and if you think thats the only problem...thanks! here is a pic of my computer so you can see how jerry rigged it is http://nerdmania.net/steve/computer/...t/IMAG0055.JPG

Steve
PC specs:
Asus A7N8X deluxe
226W liquid cooled pelt on an athlon 3200+
Radeon 9700pro (all in wonder)
audigy platinum sound (delta 66 as a recording sound card)
1024mb of pc3200 DDR (2 512's running dual channel)
80 gig WD hdd
480watt silent purepower thermaltake psu
Ubernerdsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 08:46 PM   #2
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Swiftech reports those radiators will provide water temps around 15C over room temp with a CPU as the heat source. They don't recommend the micros for dual CPU use; much less a 226W pelt. I would assume your hoses and res feel noticably warm to the touch. You should DEFINITELY pick up a big heatercore (I favor the $19 1975 Chevy Caprice and the 1970 Chevy Blazer w/o AC cores cause they easily take 2 120mm fans). You could certainly see a 10C drop in CPU temperatures (more possibly) from switching to a radiator that can handle your heat load better.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 09:51 PM   #3
Ubernerdsteve
Cooling Neophyte

Ya I KNEW this radiator was way too small, but I was cheap and got it for basicly nothing...I just wanted to make sure that it was what was causing it to be so hot, but if you say 15 degrees over room temp ( i think you meant F cause 15 degrees C is a lot) then this radiator is working damn good cause its about 80 in here and the processor is 90. Thank you ill look into heater cores from cars like i was planning on doing before!
SteveO
p.s. If anyone has any more suggestions of what radiators you think are good send um my way!
Ubernerdsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 09:52 PM   #4
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

I'd recommend the 2-342 single pass heatercore if you can find a place to put it. (I don't know the relevant vehicle. "Blazer" I think.)

Because of the very low flow resistance of the MCW462-UH, other restrictions in the cooling loop, have a relatively large impact on the flowrate through the loop.

With a lot of the newer more restrictive block designs, the WB resistance tends to swamp the resistances of the rest of the system, so surface area of the HC is the primary consideration.

Assuming your plumbing is good, a big single pass heatercore will give you a major improvement.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote