Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 12-15-2000, 01:36 PM   #26
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Trust me, even the Cu Water blocks are too heavy in most cases!

the Silver Poly block rules for that reason, its light, and still cools AWESOME!

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2000, 02:14 AM   #27
puppet
Cooling Neophyte

AL is the best choice for ambient setups. If you were using your cpu to heat your bedroom than use copper. If you want to remove the heat to the ambient surroundings quickly,use AL.
As stated above copper holds the heat longer. That is the nature of the metal.
AL gives up the heat faster,that is its' nature. AL will take as much heat as copper will. If you don't believe me take a piece of each and heat with a propane torch,see which one you can pick up first (same thickness.)

I found a wealth of knowledge on this subject doing research on TEC and heatsinks on the web. One site led to another and each had very thoughtful papers on these choices and more importantly why.

Rather than arguing the point from a "you would think" viewpoint.....check out some real world articles already present on the net. Just search for them.
The people in this business make their living recommending the best choices for metals in a given application. They aren't paid to be wrong.

Let me add that this is not to say a copper heatsink isn't possible,a good one. Hell, you could probably use iron if you were willing to do the R&D on it. Needle like fins and 10,000 rpm fans,but at what cost?

That is another reason for AL as a first choice. It is well suited for ambient HS's and you don't have to design the shit out of it to get good results.

Now if they would make a HS out of those "space shuttle" tiles......man that would be a great HS.

[This message has been edited by puppet (edited 12-17-2000).]
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2000, 01:25 PM   #28
CU later
Cooling Neophyte

Ok puppet, where are these articles???

I have presented links to heatsink reviews and an article aimed at this exact subject.

So far you have stated your opinion, and that aluminum will take as much heat as copper and "gives it up" faster.

Aluminum will not absorb as much heat as copper.

That "gives it up" stuff is mis-applied science.

The fact is that copper is a far better conductor of heat. That is a fact.

Silver is even better.

Think about your first statement. If you want to heat your room use copper???
Like aluminum makes heat energy miraculously disappear or something, and copper somehow creates heat??

Some of you guys kill me...heh heh.
CU later is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2000, 04:41 PM   #29
puppet
Cooling Neophyte

CU later......first I'm not a nurse maid...find the info like everyone else does ,press "search" button.

Al does not deal in magic and doesn't make heat disappear.....just gives it off to the ambient faster.(That is what I said)

Copper does not create heat......It holds it longer(That is what I said)

Heat conduction is just part of the equation.....how fast that heat is dissipated is the real issue.

I've read and seen the copper sinks vs AL
reviews and can point out to you that they do not perform better than a AL HS. Just look at the design requirements needed to achieve thier desired results....and their cost.

All your "tantrum throwing" isn't gonna change these metals properties. As the discussion relates to HS's .....AL is the one to beat.

There are some papers that even discuss the addition of copper plates to AL heatsinks.
Actually any addition to HS's in the form of shims,spacers and the like, even if they are welded, decrease the effiency of the heat transfer. One piece construction is the best.
This goes to the atomic level of molecular arrangement.

I bring this up because on day the CPU makers may be able to incorperate a Heatsink "on die". This may be made of a silicon or ceramic based material that would effectively be far superior to any "after market" ambient HS app. It would be part of the chip construction and therefore be connected to the heat source molecularly.

This would make CU vs AL look like caveman shit.

Unread 12-17-2000, 06:46 PM   #30
CU later
Cooling Neophyte

Ok. I'll throw another tantrum.

We both agree that one peice construction makes for the most efficient sink.

How do you explain the fact that a hedghog copper sink meets or beats an alpha?

It's pins are inserted into the body(alphas are one peice) and has less pins per square inch than an alpha.

(I'm getting Dejavu typing this. )

Copper is just heavier, more difficult to machine, and more maleable. Those are the reasons copper heatsinks have not been used in the past.

That and the fact that most people buy into the aluminum gives up heat better theory.

Unread 12-17-2000, 07:39 PM   #31
puppet
Cooling Neophyte

yawn.......
Unread 12-18-2000, 07:14 PM   #32
CU later
Cooling Neophyte

Heh heh.

Nice argument. Am I keeping you up past your bedtime?

Unread 12-19-2000, 05:27 PM   #33
puppet
Cooling Neophyte

Bedtime....no.
It's the peppermint schnapps.
Unread 01-01-2001, 03:20 PM   #34
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

The following is from a post at overclockers.com.au
This investigation was done with respect to cold plates but is somewhat applicable to HSs as in almost all applications the HS is significantly larger than the die.
Take a look at the Thermacore site for a discussion of heat spreading resistance (and their vaporware Athlon and Pentium HSs).

I finally found a heat spreading resistance calculator at http://www.mhtl.uwaterloo.ca/tools.html# and the results were enlightening.

Assuming a heat source of 11*11mm (120mm sq Athlon) applied to an isotropic cold plate of 48*48mm, I calculated the spreading resistance for the thicknesses 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2in.s (3.18, 6.35. 9.53, and 12.7mm) in aluminum, copper, silver, and (my favorite) Cusil (72%Ag & 28%Cu).

The results:
Matl . T.C. . 0.125 0.250 0.375 0.500 in. thick

Al . . 220* . 0.259 0.170 0.149 0.142

Cu . . 388**. 0.147 0.096 0.084 0.080

Ag . . 418 .. 0.136 0.089 0.078 0.075

Cusil . 515 .. 0.111 0.073 0.064 0.061

*This is the thermal conductivity of PURE Al, so the actual spreading resistance values are probably 20% higher than shown.
**for Alloy 11000

What can be understood from the numbers:
1) For all materials (and a given aspect ratio) there is a thickness beyond which the spreading resistance decreases only slightly.
2) Alumimum is a poor choice for small hot dies.
3) A 1/4 in. copper cold plate has 25% LESS spreading resistance than a 1/8 in. silver plate !
(and a 3/8 in. Cu will still beat a 1/4 in. Ag !!)
4) The Cusil values are very good, but the price may preclude all but absolute fanatics.
5) The commonly provided 1/4 in. copper is probably the most cost effective cold plate, though I'd go for 3/8 in. just to beat out silver.
(sorry GOD)

A note on the "Film Coefficient - h (W/m sqK): the value used was "2" as found in the literature. Also ran with 200 and 20000 and while the calculated values changed, the ratios did not.

Someone good with graphs, I'm not, might plot the curves and post it for the group.

be cool

[This message has been edited by BillA (edited 01-01-2001).]
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2001, 04:26 PM   #35
Bose-Einstien Condensate
Cooling Neophyte

1. CU later- why the **** do you think they make aluminum foil out of al, you can take it out of a 450 degree oven and hold it in your hand! you can't do that with copper!

2. the ceramic tiles on the space shuttle are actually designed to be insulators,instead of radiating the heat, they prevent it from coming in at all

------------------
new Confucious saying: Man who walks thru airplane door sideways going to Bangcock
Bose-Einstien Condensate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2001, 09:31 PM   #36
CU later
Cooling Neophyte

You are correct Mr. condensate!

Because copper is a much better condtuctor of heat!
You would burn your hands. OUCHIE
Unread 01-04-2001, 11:57 AM   #37
mjl
Cooling Neophyte

Posted by Joe long ago:

"I read Mike Larsens post on OCrs the day it was posted, and since I know some REAL professionals who have degrees and have worked in the fields of this for
years, I believe them more then some guy who posted something on OCrs"

I had no idea my name was being slung around or I would have posted sooner. At the moment I don't have time for a lengthy post on the matter because I am too busy working on heat transfer problems at work. Just to clarify things a bit Joe, I am a REAL professional and I have a Master's in Mechanical Engineering with specialization in heat transfer and structures. My life revolves around heat transfer so please don't put my name down as some slacker who doesn't know his stuff. Re-read my article, read some basic heat-transfer text, bring some SOLID arguments to the table backed up with NUMBERS, and we will talk more.

This is not a flame, just a clarification

-Mike Larsen
mjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2001, 12:11 PM   #38
Joe

Sorry for insulting you at all, didn't mean to really. Was more talking about the one ref from a website in general not you specifically. ( hell I don't even know you).

As for the Al vs Cu argument, I have removed myself from that argument as both metals have good and bad points and at best I am going to say they are BOTH good for cooling CPU's, They BOTH have advantages over each other in certain areas.

I personally like Ag more then both for H2O cooling (due to its outstanding thermal properties, it seems to just do a great job in H2O cooling, and I have yet to see a Silver HSF.)

Sorry bout that!
------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 01-04-2001).]
Unread 02-26-2001, 05:00 PM   #39
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

BUMP

Joe, how would you rate this thread ?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2001, 05:54 PM   #40
Joe

Unread 06-06-2001, 03:15 PM   #41
Alexandrus
Cooling Neophyte

I guess that if you were in the same room you would have seriously injured eachother.
Now,I have something to say : Cu transfers heat better because it has a lower thermal resistence and Al dissipated heat better.
So why fight ?
Buy a heatsink with a copper base and aluminum fins and be happy.
And by the way,silver has the lowest thermal resistence but it is very expensive,so I don't think anyone can afford a silver heatsink.
Unread 07-14-2001, 12:15 AM   #42
CU later
Cooling Neophyte

I don't like to fight, I just don't like to see people misapplying (sp?) science.

For example, you still think that the emmisivity of aluminum makes it a better fin material than copper.

If your heatsink had no fan, and was in space, it would.

But your heatsink has a fan, and is here on earth (hopefully) where radiation of heat is a much smaller factor.
Unread 07-14-2001, 11:04 AM   #43
Butcher
Thermophile

pfft silver isn't the best for the real shit buy a diamond heatsink! 4 times better than silver, order your today for just $10,000,000 ;P The real reason for no silver is cost, copper is the same to an extent.

As for someone's cu vs al foil crap that's be cause copper foil would be to fragile and expensive not because it wouldn't loose heat fast enough, any foil loses heat really fast due to surface area.

ok, tell me this though, if radiation is such a large factor why aren't heatsinks still black? I notice that most Al HSFs have moved to silver, even though black is the most radating colour and silver the least (leave a foil tray out in the sun, with water covered with clear food wrap and another painted black, see which gets hot )
Unread 09-10-2001, 10:42 AM   #44
BobbyO
Cooling Neophyte

Sorry Guys, but if ever notice that most all heatsinks in pure class A Amps (current flows constantly through the transistors) That the heatsinks are of aluminum,we are talking of amps that you can use for space heaters,AKA- Mark levinson,Krell& Jeff Rowland. for all you non-Audiophiles Yes these Are audio amps some of the best in the world
BobbyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 12:25 PM   #45
LiquidCool
Cooling Savant

Most manufactures dont use CU because it's 4-5 times the price of AL. Also AL is MUCH easier to machine than CU...
LiquidCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 01:22 PM   #46
Joe

hehehe lots of good memories in this thread

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Unread 09-10-2001, 01:27 PM   #47
Joe

LC, I know somone who cools 5000watt Power converters for some heavy machinery. I discussed heatsinks and waterblocks, and asked what they used. he said " I have never heard of someone using Copper on any Heatsink for any serious purpose, we only use Aluminum, cause if that wont cool it, nothing will" the guys got a degree from CalTech so I guess I will believe him on that one.

it prolly comes down to weight, and expense, and machinery to make them. Most of these are custom made for an application by this guy.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Unread 09-10-2001, 11:42 PM   #48
mpfos
Cooling Neophyte

hey guys, I see you are hot on this one.. Now I thought this was kind of simple.

CU conducts better(collects heat better, but releases it slow)
Al disepates better(Does not collect heat as good but releases it fast)

Silver- well I spend that.

According to your application, one may be better than the other.

For plain HSF I would use AL

If you had Identical heatsinks. one AL and one CU, the AL would probaly do better with a regular fan. But the CU would probaly do better than the AL with a delta 38.
I think thats why most manufacters are going with CU/Delta 38, for the best performance.

For anything hvy duty I would use CU/With H2o
with H2o disepation is not an issue.

It's just that plain and simple. Maybe I'm wrong but I think this makes sense.

At least thats what all of you KNUCKLE HEADS have been telling me.

Go ahead and flame me, I'm an old fart that owns a chilcare center with 45 kiddies, so guess what I think about your flame?
mpfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2001, 06:49 PM   #49
Butcher
Thermophile

Given the same design Cu should be better regardless of airflow (unless it's low enough that radiation is a major factor than black anodized Al is better). However because Al is easier to machine it's a lot easier to get a better design with Al which makes up for the reduced conduction (eg. a lot of Cu hsfs are press fit or soldered whereas Al hsfs tend to be extruded in one piece).

Also for the 5000W stuff mentioned, it's probably not such a small heat source as a cpu is proportional to heat produced which means heat spreading is less of an issue. Also the weight issue is going to be a major factor in something that large which makes Al a much better choice.
Unread 01-15-2002, 08:39 PM   #50
CU later
Cooling Neophyte

BUTCHER !!!!

You win da kewpie doll!!

Thank goodness this is grasped by someone!!

When my first argument (debate?) took place with Joe and others, copper HSFs were an oddity. Now we are seeing more and more of them.