Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-30-2002, 03:54 PM   #1
dax
Cooling Neophyte

Default Rethinking my rackmount project

As some of you might know i've made a few posts in the past about watercooling & rackmounting all of my pcs. I'm currently building the rackmount cases (and i'm making some progress, although exams are holding me back atm).
The original plan was one rad for the entire system (and one/two pump(s)), but seeing that small evergreen unit , i'm wondering how small a rad/waterblock(/pump) combo can be... and if i can fit it in a 2U (maybe 1U) case...

Maybe it would work without pump, maybe a micro/maxi-jet pump (or something similar sized) would work. Main problem would be the size of the rad though...

Anyone having an opinion on this? Just seemed an interesting idea...
dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2002, 04:25 PM   #2
gmat
Thermophile

There's another thread on this forum discussing about watercooling a rackmount PC.
If somehow you can manage to fit a BIµ, a low-profile WB and a maxijet (or other small inline pump) you've won. That would mean 2U though. The frontal area of a 1U rack is too low to fit any kind of rad.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2002, 07:57 PM   #3
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I am far along into an identical project, though I've broken from the 19" rackmount specification. Check out the following link:

http://users.adelphia.net/~jnsholcom...erproject1.htm

It describes to a button what I'm doing in my project. It wouldn't be hard to keep it in the 19" spec, though you'd just need to use a different radiator.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2002, 08:14 PM   #4
punish3r
Cooling Neophyte

You might want to consider researching the WC/FC units sometimes used in rackmount applications for MPI servers. I know they're out there, cause I modeled one for my first 6 unit MPI.
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-Thomas Jefferson
punish3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2002, 02:57 AM   #5
dax
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
There's another thread on this forum discussing about watercooling a rackmount PC.
I know, read most (if not all) of them, and i started about 3 of them.

Quote:
If somehow you can manage to fit a BIµ, a low-profile WB and a maxijet (or other small inline pump) you've won. That would mean 2U though. The frontal area of a 1U rack is too low to fit any kind of rad.
I would prefer to stay away from expensive radiators like those BIs...

airspirit: i know... i've watched your project with great interest, and it's nice to know that i'm not the only one Although my project is a bit more work, as i construct the cabinet and rackmount cases myself too, i eventualy plan to setup a page about that.

punish3r: i'll look into those... no idea what they are though
Unread 12-01-2002, 09:37 AM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

There are heatercores that will fit, just look them up in the DB.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 09:20 AM   #7
dax
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
There are heatercores that will fit, just look them up in the DB.
If only the database would be in a useful, non-microsoft format (it isn't that well supported under freebsd/linux), and openoffice can't do a thing with the .xls files either

edit: got mdbtools working, but the dimensions table doesn't contain any info i could use (no L, W, D, In or Out data shows up)
Unread 12-02-2002, 10:05 AM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Take a look at 2-636 (VW), 2-766 (Renault) and 2-563 (GM).
Unread 12-02-2002, 10:20 AM   #9
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Hmm ... once I take a peek at some Linux based DB systems, I may port the thing. I just haven't had time to experiment with it. I've had ... other projects to deal with.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 12-02-2002, 11:24 AM   #10
dax
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
Take a look at 2-636 (VW), 2-766 (Renault) and 2-563 (GM).
the GM one would be hard to fit.. the renault one is a tiny bit too large, and the VW one is too large as well

Oh well... guess i'll go with one big rad for the entire system...
maybe use a rad/pump/res loop to cool the water, and have each unit fetch its own water... (big shared, cooler rad, n+1 pumps), that would alow me to use smaller pumps, or maybe 1 pump... bah... can't figure it out, any advice?

and airspirit, the easiest would be to make a small database (even exporting everything to a text file would work) and writing a small cgi/php script and put it on the net
Unread 12-02-2002, 12:08 PM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Hum... ok, then let's try:
2-531 (Ford). It's on the long side, but it's there!
Unread 12-02-2002, 12:13 PM   #12
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I could probably do an imported PERL associative array structure off of a standard text file bypassing the database structure altogether ... that would be an interesting way to get it on the net so you wouldn't have to download anything ... interesting thoughts you have, young Jedi ....
Unread 12-02-2002, 02:19 PM   #13
dax
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
I could probably do an imported PERL associative array structure off of a standard text file bypassing the database structure altogether ... that would be an interesting way to get it on the net so you wouldn't have to download anything ... interesting thoughts you have, young Jedi ....
*cough* young Jedi *cough*, note that i've been subscribed to this forum quite a bit longer already

and bigben2k, nope, sorry... that rad is too large as well, guess finding something like that would be a bit too hard then
hmm, maybe i better try to find a huge one... problem would be where to find it? (lytron on ebay? hmm... maybe a bit too uhm expensive on the shipping side)
Unread 12-02-2002, 02:32 PM   #14
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You might be able to get JessFM to make you one, custom.
Unread 12-02-2002, 03:02 PM   #15
dax
Cooling Neophyte

hmm nah, custom prolly means high price, and i don't want to spend too much... i also seriously doubt the cooling performance that would be possible with such a setup...
i think i'll go for 1 or 2 larger ones for the rack, still have to find suitable ones though
Unread 12-02-2002, 04:22 PM   #16
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

The young Jedi thing is along the lines of "d00d/bro/cool guy/homeboy", not having to do with age or experience at all. Sh!t, for all I know you're twice my age.

Anyway, shipping on the Lytrons isn't that bad, ranging from $12-20 depending on your location, and you can pick them up sometimes (the massive ones like mine) for anywhere from $30-$100. If you get one cheap, you can have it at your door for less than a BIX before shipping.

Just a thought.

How many computers are you putting on line, how much estimated total W load to the coolant, and how hot is the room they're in?
Unread 12-02-2002, 04:39 PM   #17
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You know... if you could mount the heatercore flat down, and have a couple of fans blowing accross it, and exit down...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rackmount rad.jpg (5.3 KB, 101 views)
Unread 12-02-2002, 04:45 PM   #18
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Alternatively, if you don't have the option of venting downwards, use 2-658 (3/4 in. thick) and vent front to back:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rackmount rad2.jpg (6.4 KB, 99 views)
Unread 12-03-2002, 03:43 AM   #19
dax
Cooling Neophyte

venting downward is a big no for rackmount stuff, and i doubt the efficency if mouted like that too...
i think i'll go for a big shared one, just have to find something apropriate around here...

and airspirit, i knew you ment it that way, and i also, seriously doubt that i'm twice your age unless you are 7.5-8 years old ofcource.

I'll try to mail one of the guys selling those lytrons for shipping costs to belgium, but i expect them to be pretty huge..

I plan 3 computers atm, but i'm going to add a few later on (i've built a small 15U rack), the 3 atm are a 1ghz tbird, dual p2 333 and a p2 266. That p2 266 is going to be replaced someday soon, because it eats space (2U for that little power is not worth it heh). And the room is uhm... no idea, more on the cold side i think (around 20°C? a bit less? no idea, 16-17?... and i can't find a thermometer either)
Unread 12-03-2002, 03:46 AM   #20
dax
Cooling Neophyte

hmm bigben, that just gave me an idea for mounting one (or a few) big rad(s), i guess i could put them in 1U or 2U boxes like that last drawing and then i might be able to use those crossflow blowers to cool them... hmm
Unread 12-03-2002, 08:44 AM   #21
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I think it would work.

There might be some airflow loss due to the change of direction, but hey, it's a small compromise to be able to fit a rad/heatercore in a 1/2U unit.

The crossflow blowers would probably work extremely well here, given their size and low noise level.

Man, I wish I had a rackmount frame!
Unread 12-03-2002, 10:17 AM   #22
dax
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
There might be some airflow loss due to the change of direction, but hey, it's a small compromise to be able to fit a rad/heatercore in a 1/2U unit.
Hmm... in a 1/2U unit, the rad wouldn't be tilted THAT much... That's my bigest concern

Quote:
The crossflow blowers would probably work extremely well here, given their size and low noise level.
Yes the only problem would be finding an apropriate one. Suggestions?

Quote:
Man, I wish I had a rackmount frame!
Keep your eyes open for a nice journal site...
Unread 12-03-2002, 10:19 AM   #23
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

http://www.mpja.com/

http://www.alltronics.com

http://www.allelectronics.com

That's where I usually start...
Unread 12-03-2002, 10:27 AM   #24
dax
Cooling Neophyte

quick search turned up nothing
Unread 12-03-2002, 02:18 PM   #25
Cova
Cooling Savant

If I were to build a watercooled rack, I'd take a full-size car rad from a smaller car, and lay it flat to form the top of the rack. Fans below it blowing up (yes, I know pushing isn't as good as pulling, but sometimes ya lose a bit of efficiency for design and stuff), and a KVM switch / network switch / etc. thats not very deep mounted at the top of the rack. The fans for the rad would be behind the switch, so effectively using up 0U of space. The racks I deal with are all 42U racks though - so we never put stuff on top of them (you can't see on top of them, we'd lose stuff up there), which is also why I'd more likely put the fans below the rad. And you can mount the rad with either both barbs at the back, or both on one side depending on whether you want to run all your "mains" level tubing (the stuff that branches to each server) down one side, or the cool on one side and the hot on the other side.
Cova is offline   Reply With Quote