Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 02-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #51
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Comparing transfer rates with different RAM amounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontz

*sigh* I need more money
Sorry, but yes, I joined the Guardian group myself very recently. But I assure you, I was only able to do it because I got an OUSTANDING DEAL. And, I had to break the piggy bank, not pay some bills, and piss my wife off to do that even. Your day will come. Be patient... (that's what David always told me anywise)
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #52
JELo
Cooling Neophyte

Now now, not all of us are familiar with what units have common hardware. Mentioning that speeds will be similar or representative didn't sound like actual comparative numbers to me. Remember, there are those of us new to the realm of Snaps and those of you who have been around a while. Everyone has to start somewhere. Welcoming neophytes might be more productive than chastising their efforts to make a meaningful contribution. JELo
JELo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #53
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELo

Now now, not all of us are familiar with what units have common hardware.
That knowledge was not required in this case since I knew it and was the one reporting.

Quote:

Mentioning that speeds will be similar or representative didn't sound like actual comparative numbers to me.
Hmmm, that is just semantics. Similar means similar. I cannot say they will be exactly the same results because each test run can result in slightly different results (as I also said). So similar is the appropriate word.

Quote:

Remember, there are those of us new to the realm of Snaps and those of you who have been around a while. Everyone has to start somewhere.
Now that is a fair arguement, but I do think I made the test conditions, speed results (for both SMB and FTP), and where it applies simple enough for most beginners to grasp.

Quote:

Welcoming neophytes might be more productive than chastising their efforts to make a meaningful contribution.
Ah, now we get to the meat of this. A neophyte could ask "how similar are the results" or "which part of that represents standard windows explorer results" or other questions like that. Now that represents a neophyte who is trying to learn and appreciates the efforts. But when you respond essentially saying it had little to no value for you and others like you, but did not even take the time to read the information and see your answers were there (or ask to find out), you cannot expect a positive response. Yours was a negative response to many hours of testing and then even more time posting for the benefit of others. Negative responses like that to someoone being productive do not warrant a positive touchy feely response back. Simple as that.

I would LOVE for you to explain to me how your negative response towards my efforts and how little value it had for you and others, was in any way a meaningful contribution (as you put it) and are now being chastized for? But nevermind, it would not be productive to the actual topic at hand, so don't bother.

The point is, if the information was not useful for you, then add to it or move on. There is no reason or gain for you to have to tell me and everyone else how un-useful it was for you. And as an added bonus, you might want to read the information before you make that declaration. Even getting past the "similar" semantics, the information you wanted about day to day use and were complaing about not being there, was in fact there. You just had to actually read it to see it.

Now, after you have been here a while and have answered the same question over and over and over and over, and then when you put time and effort into dealing with that problem, some little smart ass wants to come back and complain about it, let's see how you respond, okay? Until then... Well....

Lastly, this disagreement betwen us here is not productive to this topic or this forum. It is a negative influence and even serves to cause those who are willing to help out around here to not want to do so further. If you wish to pursue this with me further, feel free, but do it in PM or e-mail (mine is listed). I refuse to participate in this useless arguement further here, and degrade this topic any further.
Unread 02-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #54
JELo
Cooling Neophyte

I think ya might be overreacting a bit. We're all on the same team here. I don't see this as anything more than a minor missunderstanding - nothing worth getting that worked up about. JELo
JELo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #55
Phoenix32
Thermophile

For those interested, Blue68f100 has done some tests on his 4100 with newer/larger drives for some confirmation. His results were right in line with my previously posted results (minor difference in that he is not measuring the overhead included).

Anyone measuring 2x00 units to confirm? Hallis?

Or maybe 1x00 units to see how much difference the CPU makes?
Unread 02-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #56
jontz
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32
Ya know David, sometimes I wonder why I even try.
You like being under appreciated and you know it!
Unread 02-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #57
jontz
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32
Sorry, but yes, I joined the Guardian group myself very recently. But I assure you, I was only able to do it because I got an OUSTANDING DEAL. And, I had to break the piggy bank, not pay some bills, and piss my wife off to do that even. Your day will come. Be patient... (that's what David always told me anywise)
Hey, don't be sorry, I am quite happy for you! I'll just hang tight and a good deal will come my way eventually, just like you said...