Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 04-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #26
Marker.Jones
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Why SATA on 4400/4200/4500?

I am interested in such an adapter, but for different reasons than many, I have a Snap 2200 with 80s in it. I am thinking of upgrading to larger drives (SATA with IDE adapters) for now and moving those drives to a *nix server (mini ITX board based) in the next year or so and using that for a IP phone system, NAS, etc on my home network.

Marker
Marker.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #27
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Sorry mate, but this was a MOD for the Snap 4400/4200/4500/15000, not the 2200. That and I stopped working on a drop in solution for other users.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #28
sgt.baker
Cooling Neophyte

Phoenix! Don't give up on this!!! There are those of us out here with the 4400's who have all but stuffed these boxes to the back of the closet due to the high price of the small IDE drives. I finally couldn't pass up the price of a Netgear ReadyNAS DUO chassis last year and purchased two 1.5TB drives to mirror at a mere $99 each. They're cheaper now and I'd love to populate the 4400 with these instead (Enterprise class drives of course).

IMO the lack of response is due to the low number of visitors here any longer, especially those who have these models of products. Heck, even I only visit once every 4-6 months any longer. I've told a couple of guys here at work about your thread, and us techy's are on the edge of our seats!

Hope you complete this thread as our "community" is getting smaller everyday.

If you don't believe there is enough interest in order to do a run of PCB's, I'm sure we're interested on a piece-by-piece basis, or if you don't have the time at all, to educate us on the "how-to" so we can do it ourselves.

Last edited by sgt.baker; 05-11-2010 at 02:25 PM.
sgt.baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #29
ronniea1
Cooling Neophyte

what is involved in the update to sata? is it hardware only or os and hardware and where can i get information on this?
we are interested
ronniea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #30
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniea1 View Post
what is involved in the update to sata? is it hardware only or os and hardware and where can i get information on this?
we are interested

It is a hardware Mod
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #31
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Oh, and both pictures are the same server, a couple minutes apart...

Note: The front bezel and top were removed just for the pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4500SATA-1.jpg (79.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 4500SATA-2.jpg (36.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Phoenix32; 05-19-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #32
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Easy Peasy... Done....

Look for some of these Snap Servers to be sold on eBay...

Unless of course you want to make me a private offer for one in PM now...
Unread 05-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #33
ronniea1
Cooling Neophyte

Hi i would be instreated in how to get the guardian update to latest thanks my private email is ronniea1@yahoo.com
ronniea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #34
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniea1 View Post
Hi i would be instreated in how to get the guardian update to latest thanks my private email is ronniea1@yahoo.com
Guardian OS is copyrighted software. For updates you need a software warranty/license with Overland Storage.
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #35
hdflsts2002
Cooling Neophyte

Damn, as is often the case looks like I made it to the party late. Have not been on these forums for quite some time now. But back when found some great info that got me going with 4100's. Well those are long since retired and home brew solutions just aren't cutting it anymore so came here to see what the options might be for the higher 4000 series snaps. Finding some good deals on ebay for 44s and 45s but for the reasons mentioned have been reluctant to pull the trigger. Guess it's a great example of the supply and demand. PATA supply is low and the those that demand it will have to pay. In any case, remembered these forums being a great help in my days of 4100s and figured I'd come by and see if anyone had come up with a way to use sata in these GOS units.

Yippee there are two threads devoted just to this topic. My heart is a flutter, perhaps I can dump my frankinstien home brews and go back to a real nas!! But alas as i read down my hopes are dashed. Phoenix has spent his time researching, tooling and testing and come up with the solution, and while I'm certain there are more than who have chimed in here interested, few have spoken up. Pheonix, if you should ever decide to revive this topic count me in as one who be very interested, or should you ever decide to have a run made and list them for sale somewhere please let me know. I for one am glad that people like you are around. Those who see a problem say there has to be an answer and then come hell or high water find that solution. Shame of the matter is that other don't appreciate the work involved. Guess in todays world everyone just thinks that anything that they want should be either a click away or at their local Walmart.

Thanks for your efforts!
hdflsts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #36
Phoenix32
Thermophile

I am doing a batch of the adapters for a couple friends of mine. I am considering making them available to members here, one time, if there is enough interest.

If you would like to get some of these adapters, shoot me a PM hereon the forum with how many sets you would want and we can go from there.

Please look at the date of this message since this is not open for months and months, or even weeks. Speak now.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......

Last edited by Phoenix32; 01-16-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #37
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32 View Post
It is a hardware Mod
Hi Pheonix,

what is the IDE to sater coverter that you use?
Max8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #38
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max8 View Post
Hi Pheonix,

Hey mate, long time no chit chat. I hope you and yours are safe there down under with all the flooding.

Okay, you're not going to like the answer, but I will explain.

I am not going to tell...

I spent a crap load of my own time and money buying and then testing various SATA adapters and mods needed etc. As I have said before, the mass majority will not work. I only found one out a ton of them that would do the job.

I was not looking to get rich or really even make any money on them, but I did expect to recover my costs.

What happened? Well, as you are aware, lack of interest, lack of inputs, lack of pretty much anything made me just drop it for development outside my own uses. That and the spew coming from a select few, like Bitor. You know, the ones who want everything handed to them on a silver platter for nothing and use the backs of others to try to further themselves.

Thus, I come to this forum on very very rare occasions, give very little input (until those people are gone), and decided a long time ago that I was not going to share knowledge on what I developed.

Call me petty or whatever, but you asked, and there is my feelings on it. I hope you understand.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 01-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #39
bitor
Cooling Savant

"Previous Post"

Max,

If you want to know what adapter that works with the GOS just message me here with your paid email acct. address and I'll tell you what I found on my own and which adapter worked for me.

I've tested many adapters/chip-sets and this is the one that has worked with GOS with no problems for me. You will have to see if it works in your unit's sled. I've used mine in my snapserver for months now, and tested it on GOS 4.1 kernal and higher, with no problems.

As always, with these adapters over time, batches may change and suppliers may change without notice. But I have not had a problem with that yet. I would suggest buying one and seeing if it works. Without going in to details here, that is IF you are willing to make the ribbon modifications and a few other modification that are for your unit's sled. These modifications are not rocket science or child's play and doesn't cost a lot if you are a D.I.Y. person, but if you don't have some time,patience,or mechanical ability, then this is not for you.

Phoenix32's statements about me are false as usually and are delusional. He is a megalomaniac.

First hand facts:
I have personally tested and installed many OS. The adapter I used has worked with DOS,OS2Warp4 and up,Linux6.1 and up,Windows9x-XP,SnapOS all,GOS 4.1 and up, installations. But as a reminder, not every PCB is equal. I'm only referring to the adapter I used. There maybe other adapters with different chip-set that may or may not work. I have not tested ALL of them nor could I or want to, but I've tested many.

Best regards,

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max8 View Post
Hi Pheonix,

The views,expressions and opinions are mine and mine alone from what I have learned. These will be solely directed to the member by member's name and no other person unless I use no name. I make no warranties or guarantees.

Last edited by bitor; 01-16-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: type o's and refinements
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #40
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Matt,

WARNING-ALERT

As usual, just like with the recent 4500 power switch questions, and like so many many times before here on the forum, Bitors answers are half baked and not thought through very well.

I worked with Bitor (read: helped him) on this a little bit in email when I first started this project. As usual, he was working me for information to further himself on the forum and with others. He did not get all the required information, but I did point him in the right direction. He may have developed it into usefullness, but I seriously doubt it. He simply does not have the electronic training, as been proven over and over here on the forum.

Bitor used/uses a Snap 14000 for his adaption. This is a very significantly different setup than a Snap 4400, 4200, 4500, and 15000. What works there will most likely not work in the other. Understand?

His own statements about how it works with GOS as well as this and that OS are the proof in a round about way. Works with GOS. So what? This is not about the OS, it is about the hardware! Duh...

Most PATA to SATA Adapters out there do work for converting PATA to SATA. Of course they do, that is what they are designed, made, and sold for. And guess what? Most of them work with pretty much any OS, including GOS. The catch is going to be in what hardware application.

1. Will it fit in the desired location?
2. Will it work in RAID arrays?
3. Will there be timing issues?
4. Will there be load issues (being used 24/7 or under long term use)?
5. Etc, Etc, Etc... This list could get very very long.

The bottom line here is simple. Will it work in a Snap 4400, 4200, 4500, and 15000? Since this is the title of the message thread, what works for those particular hardware arrangements is the question. Not other snap units or other hardware configurations.

What Bitor calls meglomania, I call attention to detail. I will debate back and forth on things I have first hand knowledge on, but I take engineering very seriously. Thus, Bitor or anyone else can see this as an attack on Bitor or whatever else, and I don't really care, but what it really is for is to correct the record on an engineering discussion, which is far out of Bitor's league.

If you dont want to take my word for it, ask the moderators of this forum what they think. I am very confident they will agree with me on thi issue. Hell, ask blue68f100 (also a moderator), he has an engineering background. See what he thinks. But considering he ordered 3 sets of adapers from me, that should tell you already.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 01-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #41
Phoenix32
Thermophile

In a manner of setting the record straight here...

There may be other adaptions that will work with these or other units, but I thoroughly tested a seriously large number of adapters and a lot of ways to try to make them work in the 4400/4200/4500/15000. I only found one that worked well, time after time, and without a lot of modification to the Snap.

If you don't mind things like; seriously hacking up your snap server, and/or lots of modifications, and/or not being able to remove your trays when completed, and/or flakey operation, then I can show you about 5 adapters that will work. But, in the end, I doubt you will like the results or the work involved.

I AM NOT AND DO NOT want to discourage ANYONE on developing new inovations or fixes for the Snap Servers. In fact, I want to strongly ENCOURAGE others to do these things. This is part of what the forum is here for and what attracted me to it. GO FOR IT!

Find new solutions and share them! AND, do not be set back or upset if others who have engineering or first hand knowledge help you correct a few things along the way. Embrace it and learn from it. But be careful who you listen to. Some think they have real knowledge or skills when in fact they are just hobbiests who learned just enough to be dangerous and can/will lead you down sometimes expensive and/or time consuming wild goose chases.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 01-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #42
bitor
Cooling Savant

SCARE TACTIC WARNING PEOPLE:

Phoenix32's cunning statements about me are false as usually, misleading, has wild false assumptions and out right lies and are delusional in whole.
He is a megalomaniac.
They are nothing but scare tactics, people.
I found these adapters on my own with no help or info from ANYBODY and extensively tested them after going though many junk adapters.
It amazes me how people can THINK they know somebody with no information.

If anybody is interested in these adapters, for little money, you can buy one and see if it works with your older snap server. That includes 1000/1100, 2000/2200, 4000/4100, 4200/4400/4500, 12000/14000/15000 units if you are a D.I.Y. type of person. I will be more than happy to point you to the adapters. Like I said, the modifications are not rocket science or child's play.
The adapters WILL work with most of the models I have listed and tested them on above, but I cannot guarantee it 100%, because I'm not the MFG of the snap server nor am I building/modifying the adapters or installing them nor will I.

Prerequisite: Read my previous post to get all of the info and what is required.

You can do it!
bitor

P.S. Requirements for 1TB drives you will need GOS 4.3 or higher per Adaptec/Overland.
The views,expressions and opinions are mine and mine alone from what I have learned. These will be solely directed to the member by member's name and no other person unless I use no name. I make no warranties or guarantees.

Last edited by bitor; 01-16-2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: added info
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #43
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Hi Guys,

Good to see that everything is still Hunky-Dory & has not changed too much around here...

I cannot believe I called SATA; "sater" my head must have been on auto-pilot.....

The floods are bad, I am sure unprecidented.

Also it is in several states, obviously QLD / Queensland being the worst hit... the scary part is the kinds of flows that hit country areas that you would have seen on the news just picked up houses and cars and dumped them Miles away, it was descibed as an inland tsunami!

Also around 2 years ago Brisbane in SE QLD was on water restrictions witrh the dam at 30% capasity.... but just a few days ago the Dam was at 190% capasity
thank god for over enggineering! last i heard it was back to 160% but they are slowly releasing it to make more room for inflows..

Anyways thanks for the good wishes....!
Max8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #44
Phoenix32
Thermophile

I do hope you and yours were not hit, or very hard if you/they were. I have seen the news footage and it is for sure a serious event. My heart goes out to all of you down under.

Matt, if you want to do some adapters for yourself, get ahold of me directly and we can chat about what is needed etc.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 01-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #45
Phoenix32
Thermophile

For the couple people who have asked;

The price for the modified adapters is $75/set plus shipping.

You will have to do 2 simple small mods to your trays yourself. Very simple (a child could do it).

Yes, I am doing them right now, but when they are gone, they're gone.

P.S. Not that anyone would try to pull a fast one or anything, but as an FYI, when I am done modifying an adapter, it would not be easy to figure out what adapter I started with (might narrow it down to 50 of them for you). That and I wipe the part number off the boards.

Thus, if you are thinking about buying a set for identification purposes, don't waste your money.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067