Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 11-24-2001, 08:29 PM   #1
MeltMan
Cooling Savant

Default Fan yellow wire info...

Does anyone know exact specs on the yellow fan wire? Does it convert straight Hz signal into rpm's? or is there some math converion involved? I guess maybe that is the "fan type" in motherboard monitor. The reason I ask is that im adding an LCD to my computer and it is electroluminescent backlit. I made an inverter, and it happens to be adjustable frequency. Essentially it changes the color of the EL screen from a blue green, to a sharp blue, and i wanted motherboard monitor to display the Hz that the LCD was operating at. The EL pad runs off of a fan header and i might as well use the yellow wire if it is feasable. Plus add OOOhhh and AAAhhh factor in there... Anyways, what voltage does that pin take? I did find out that the fans put out a squarewave signal- like my EL driver. Thanks techie guys
Unread 11-24-2001, 09:52 PM   #2
Butcher
Thermophile

It varies from fan to fan but usually they put out two pulses per revolution, square shaped as you say. This signal is trasmitted directly down the fan sensor wire, any rpm conversion is done by the motherboard.
Unread 11-25-2001, 09:27 AM   #3
MeltMan
Cooling Savant

Correct me if im wrong, but the signal is negative correct? They must put out an incredibly fast switching rate because my multimeter cant even detect it as ac volts...

Unread 11-25-2001, 10:04 AM   #4
Butcher
Thermophile

I'm not sure if the pulses are negative going or not, checking on a scope would be easiest, sadly I don't have one.
It doesn't really matter which are detected though - you still get the same number.
Unread 11-28-2001, 04:27 PM   #5
futRtrubL
Cooling Savant

A multimeter on ac wouldn't be able to sence the voltage, a 5000RPM fan would be putting out 10kHz. Also if it's a pulse output then it has a very short duty cycle.

Edward
futRtrubL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2001, 12:16 PM   #6
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

It uses a hall effect pickup in a fan, just like the ignition in alot of 80's cars.
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote