Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 03-31-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
OuTbOt2000
Cooling Neophyte

Default Cooling system I am planning on putting together, HELP!

I have a 2.8g(northwood) p4 on my socket 478 gigabyte motherboard at the moment. I am planning to soon buy a 3.4g E (prescott) socket 478 processor to replace my old one. I hear that prescott processors run slightly hotter, and i would like to overclock it, so immediately i began thinking water cooled system. I planned on buying the water cooling system that thermaltake has out now, Bigwater. This seems to be easy to install, looks cool, and has everything i'd need for a watercooling system, not to mention it is affordable. I also wanted to use a Peltier cooling plate in addition to water cooling, though i didnt want to attatch the plate directly to my processor for feer over overheating/condensing. I wanted it to be away from the motherboard. I began thinking and i came up with the idea of having the CPU waterblock attatched to the CPU normally, but also have a sort refridgerating unit to actually chill the water instead of the processor. This would be composed of a Peltier with a cpu waterblock on the cold side, and a stock p4 heatsink+fan on the hot side. I was reading some articles and i read in one that in order to have any kind of productivity with cooling a processor directly with a peltier you would have to get one that was 200 watts+. I didnt want to drain that much power from my power supply, and the 80 watt model seems to suit my power supply best, so I was thinking of using the 80 watt model in this cooling unit. I am new to this and i have som questions: Is it even a good idea at all? Will the stock P4 heatsink be able to sufficiently absorb the heat thrown off by the peltier? Will the water get so cold that it might freeze? If that is the case should i use water diluted with anti-freeze? What is the easiest way to wire the peltier to my power supply? How should i go about insulating the peltier so it does not get wet?

I was thinking the system would run like this
Pump -> Cooling Unit(Waterblock, Coldplate, and heatsink combined) -> CPU - > Radiator(comes with bigwater kit) -> VGA - > back to pump
OuTbOt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #2
prosk
Cooling Neophyte

If the water is being chilled you're still likely to get condensation on the waterblock itself which can drip onto the back of the graphics card, since the cpu is right above it. So you're still gonna have to insulate the cpu, mobo and waterblock anyway. Here is a guide on installing and insulating a tec.

Other than that, are you planning to do some extreme overclocking? A tec system consumes alot of electricity, which amounts to high running costs if it's your main system and you're running it 24/7. Not to mention it's alot of trouble putting together and you still run the risk of condensation if there is a flaw in the insulation. If you've set you're mind on a tec and it's the first time you doing a project like this then it might be better to do it on your old p4 before trying it on your prescott.
prosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
567234ta
Cooling Neophyte

dont try to cool the water like that. it makes no sense to back the pelt off of the cpu or gpu.
if your gonna run pelts do it the normal way and get a dedicated psu for them.

you will need to insulate the area aorund the cell (cpu and gpu cores) .

the pelt goes to a cold plate then on the cpu and gpu, it doesnt go directly on it.
just read up on pelts and try them the normal way first.

you will need dielectric grease also.

to cool your entire water system you would need some massive pelt power. 80 to 200 watt pelts wont do it. you would need like 800 to 1000 watts of pelt power to make anything worthwhile.
now thats enough pelt heat to run a steam engine.lol

so check out chillers and compressors that run chillers.

i have ran -0C temps on my water system with no condensation but thats a system im designing for sale and wont go into how i do it.

but here is one of my comps with a unit hooked up to it running 0c after an hour with no condensation.

right click save as
http://www.cryo-laboratory.com/uploa...ture%20334.avi
2x512 ocz platinum elite
Antec 550 true control 2.0
567234ta is offline   Reply With Quote