Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-17-2005, 10:49 AM   #26
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

Eh. Found one "within certain specs" :

http://www.amidata.es/cgi-bin/bv/bro...rodoid=2324485

valid?.
(55 euro is not what I consider "expensive).
Attached Files
File Type: zip data.zip (151.3 KB, 7 views)
Unread 05-17-2005, 11:09 AM   #27
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmons
I'm a c++ programmer. What do you need?
I'm a windows programmer...
c++ & MFC
havn't done much with hardware programming but willing to learn...
so if you need more help let me know...
Unread 05-17-2005, 11:53 AM   #28
Brians256
Pro/Staff

I am a SW Engineer by trade as well. Windows work, device drivers, embedded work, motion control, total of 15 yrs experience, and assorted other cruft like RF measurement analysis. But, SW engineers are a dime a dozen.

If you need help, give out some specs and a timetable, send out some HW, and I bet it will be done. Heck, if you give me a pump or two, I'd probably do a small project for you. It'd be a lot cheaper to get one of us to help you than to hire us on the free market.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 09:49 AM   #29
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

Instead of an in-loop flow meter, how about a device that detects the absense of an electromagnetic field from the body of the pump?

If a field is detected, it send s a fake rotation speed to the motherboard's fan1 connector. If the field does not exist, it sends the motherboard a rotration speed of 0. Wouldn't most modern motherboards shut off at that point?

I think this would require a hall switch, an IC of some kind (*see electronics noob disclaimer) and a a pin header on a very small circuit board, and connect to the motherboard pin header with your typical 3-wire connector.

*I don't know even a modicum of electronics so I don't know exactly how to translate a hall switch's output into a fake rotation speed (0 or otherwise).

If anyone here thinks/knows is this is feasible, please speak up.
Unread 05-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #30
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Instead of an in-loop flow meter, how about a device that detects the absense of an electromagnetic field from the body of the pump?

If a field is detected, it send s a fake rotation speed to the motherboard's fan1 connector. If the field does not exist, it sends the motherboard a rotration speed of 0. Wouldn't most modern motherboards shut off at that point?

I think this would require a hall switch, an IC of some kind (*see electronics noob disclaimer) and a a pin header on a very small circuit board, and connect to the motherboard pin header with your typical 3-wire connector.

*I don't know even a modicum of electronics so I don't know exactly how to translate a hall switch's output into a fake rotation speed (0 or otherwise).

If anyone here thinks/knows is this is feasible, please speak up.
problem with this solution is that if there is a leak... the pump will continue untill it is dry... yet still rotate...
you could have no water in your loop but still have active signal comming from the pump...
i have done the AquaXtreme or MCP-600 R.P.M. Signal Mod. myself so i know if my pump is roatating and and at what speed...
but the system won't shut my machine down if all the water leaks out of the loop.
Unread 05-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #31
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

I'm running a D4 and don't know if I can make that mod. I ordered a 2nd D4 which should be arriving today, so maybe I'll take it apart and see if that mod can be performed on the D4 as well.

As far as leaking, I don't think that's as much of a concern as the pump not spinning since a leak under pressure is likely to blow up your system anyway since the water would pretty much go everywhere. The problem with a leak not being able to shut down your system would therefore be solved.
Unread 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #32
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I'm running a D4 and don't know if I can make that mod. I ordered a 2nd D4 which should be arriving today, so maybe I'll take it apart and see if that mod can be performed on the D4 as well.

As far as leaking, I don't think that's as much of a concern as the pump not spinning since a leak under pressure is likely to blow up your system anyway since the water would pretty much go everywhere. The problem with a leak not being able to shut down your system would therefore be solved.
I run an external radbox (linky) and if i had a leak in there... it wouldn't kill my system with water...
currently my RPM signal from my MCP600 does fluctuate
it runs at 3200+RPM but has been know to drop below 500rpm ... at least on the monitoring side for a moment...
that is enough to sound off alarms in my bios and HW monitor so i have since turned it off
Unread 05-19-2005, 10:38 PM   #33
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

.NET (VB preferabbly) and PIC ASM/C guy here.

Best to do the dP sensing in a PIC and then convert it to a scaled RPM signal out one of the outputs. a PIC with dual A/Ds isn't hard to come by, etierh. it'd be the sensors, the pic (and you could use one with an internal oscillator, come to think of it) and a transistor to run the signal to the 'tach. Cake if the math isn't too bad, I guess that'd be the only weak thing about the PIC - math speed.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 03:36 AM   #34
Risky
Cooling Neophyte

If this is the original flow meter proposal then surely you can get the tach signal out of the meter without a PIC. If it's the dP method, then feeding it back via the tach signal seems a bit round the houses. Surely better to get a A/D via sireal, usb (or even SMBus ). There's a lot more monitoring you can do once you have a multichannel A/D, such as pump power consumption (with a transducer), temp and whatnot.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 04:10 AM   #35
generik
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHacker
problem with this solution is that if there is a leak... the pump will continue untill it is dry... yet still rotate...
you could have no water in your loop but still have active signal comming from the pump...
i have done the AquaXtreme or MCP-600 R.P.M. Signal Mod. myself so i know if my pump is roatating and and at what speed...
but the system won't shut my machine down if all the water leaks out of the loop.
Hmm.. anyway suppose you are using a conventional flow meter, would flow stop immediately when there is a leak in the loop?
generik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 04:42 AM   #36
Skoddelos
Cooling Neophyte

How about some sort of Venturi measurement system?

Utilizing the water's electrical conductivity abilities to shortcut an electronic circuit when the water floods the measurment hose because of lowered flow rate and therefore higher pressure. Instead of using the water to shortcut the circuit a "floating metal ball" of some sort could do the trick

It's certainly cheap and safe, and give us both flowrate and safety. But on the other hand cumbersome and demands testing and thinking.
Skoddelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 06:37 AM   #37
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

You don't want any kind of electrical current in the water.
Unread 05-20-2005, 07:24 AM   #38
Dave
Cooling Savant

Mad / Brian, we would need a desktop / background utility that will monitor rpm signal from flow sensor, by the fan port input, just as current utilities function.

The difference is a conversion display from RPM to L/M or GPH.

I will provide the conversion charts based on trials against an instrument quality flow meter.

Don't think I can get you big $$ for this, although C-Systems parent company, and AVT are good size companies, the retail section just consists of myself (part time) and Julie (sales / shipping - full time).Primary focus of both companies is industrial / OEM, with C-Systems having to maintain a retail section by original sales contract.

Even so, I am an engineer with access to just about everything needed to produce consumer products, and I love to come up with gadgets for you all
Many like the idea, so I will continue with development. I should have basic layout and case this weekend.

What does everyone think, wide and short, or taller with small as foot print possible?
I would need to use MAG style magnets, as we require a quad pattern to give standard two pulses per revolution, so will be at least 1.75”x1.75”.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #39
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

A desktop/background/windows tray util would be pretty easy to write. the I/O wouldn't be that painful either. I like USB for it, because pretty much everything has USB. SMBus (which I've used before) is effective but the programming/API support isn't where it should be.

A util to just write out a few numbers into a simple dialog shouldn't eat much memory either... unless of course it's written in C# or VB.net (hehehehe - I've got 4GB of ram,so a 30MB app to write data to my VFD isn't a big deal).
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

Unread 05-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #40
Risky
Cooling Neophyte

Well I'm sorted as the Tbalancer software supports up to two flowmeters (configurable for specs of whatever meter). I also remeber that a German soft, WebTemp, supported flowmeters from tach signals.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #41
Skoddelos
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
You don't want any kind of electrical current in the water.
There wont be any electrical current as long as there is a reasonable flow rate. The coolant usually does not conduct enough electrisity anyway and the system must use some other method in order to switch the computer off (floating ball).

Venturi

.. and this formula to calculate the velocity of the water:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...s/venturi.html

Sorry if anyone has posted this link before.
http://www.webshop-innovatek.de/0000...3b0dc5e17.html
Skoddelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #42
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky
Well I'm sorted as the Tbalancer software supports up to two flowmeters (configurable for specs of whatever meter). I also remeber that a German soft, WebTemp, supported flowmeters from tach signals.
I'm currently working on a Tbalancer plug-in for LCDC display program.
I have it working in a stand alone app but since LCDC is written in Delphi with Borland’s Memory manager it causes my c++ DLL to crash
Now I endeavor to write it all in Delphi which I don't know very well at all... :shrug:
Unread 05-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #43
Arivaldo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Mad / Brian, we would need a desktop / background utility that will monitor rpm signal from flow sensor, by the fan port input, just as current utilities function.

The difference is a conversion display from RPM to L/M or GPH.
I'm wonder if it could enable to take dual display: by lcd (similar to Aerogate 3), besides motherboard util.
Motherboard util (MBMonitor) will take care of any flowless, shutting down to avoid risk and Aerogate3 (or Kingwin) would show us water flow. PIC could handle a programable multiplier to adjust RPM to LPM ratio (or GPH).
For that we would need a T-conection to send rpm data to both, motherboard and rpm monitor (lcd). It is possible by a high impedance entrance circuit...

Last edited by Arivaldo; 05-21-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Arivaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 09:02 PM   #44
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

delphi sucks!

Unread 05-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #45
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck3733t
delphi sucks!
No Sh!t...
but if i want TBalancer plugin to work in LCDC...
i have no other option... :shrug:
Unread 05-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #46
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Can you get the source to LCDC and rewrite it in a proper language (C++)?
Unread 05-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #47
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Can you get the source to LCDC and rewrite it in a proper language (C++)?
lcdc is a comercial product...
I never thought to ask... but i realy doubt the author will let that happen...
Unread 05-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #48
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Whilst you're at it, I think it would be decent to add a water temp probe (not too difficult to integrate into the pump housing) - if you're outputting to software its just another number, no? Course, then theres calibration
Unread 05-21-2005, 06:36 PM   #49
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

maybe ask him for his structures?

and, uhm... hmm... why LCDC? why not lcdstudio or something else like that?

Unread 05-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #50
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck3733t
maybe ask him for his structures?

and, uhm... hmm... why LCDC? why not lcdstudio or something else like that?
I have LCDC software... registered version free with my orbital Matrix MX212 LCD display.
also it is just something of a challange...
I learned pascal 7-8years ago... I'm a programmer..
language should be not important...
it is just a tool
also i never realy considered another program...
lcdstudio.. will look it up...