Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 12-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
Bingo142
Cooling Neophyte

Default Other methods for moving air

I was just wondering if there are other methods of moving air besides the conventional fan.
Bingo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #2
Belenar
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo142
I was just wondering if there are other methods of moving air besides the conventional fan.
Convection: hot air is thinner than cold air and will go up, cold air does the opposite. If you install warm components in the bottom of your case, _some_ flow will result from it, but it is doubtful that enough flow can be generated for cooling purposes.

Blowers (technicalliy not fans, but still quite the same)

Compressors?

AFAIK, that's about it.
Unread 12-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
killernoodle
Thermophile

How does that ionic breeze thing work? I'm pretty sure it is bullshit, but does it charge air and then move it to an oppositely charged area to move air around?
Unread 12-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
deathBOB
Cooling Neophyte

I thought u needed a huge voltage to move air like that? The ionic breeze doesnt strike me as a high power machine...
deathBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
2Busy
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathBOB
I thought u needed a huge voltage to move air like that? The ionic breeze doesnt strike me as a high power machine...
Actually, I think it is fairly high voltage, just extremely low current. I had a little one and it warned expressly about not opening up due to the components. I think it is somewhat along the lines of an inverter for a cathode.
CoolerMaster Cavalier | MSI KT6V-LSR | Barton 2800+ 333 fsb | Enermax EG465P | 2 x 256 Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 | Chaintech FX 5700 | Asus 7133 TV/FM | Maxtor Diamond Max 120 gb & 160 gb | Optorite DVD Burner | Audigy MP3 | Thermalright SLK900A|
2Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 06:25 PM   #6
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Busy
Actually, I think it is fairly high voltage, just extremely low current. I had a little one and it warned expressly about not opening up due to the components. I think it is somewhat along the lines of an inverter for a cathode.
How well did it work and why don't you have it anymore?
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #7
Jason_The_Angry
Cooling Neophyte

hmm strange enough, i remember a fan offered in edmund scientific a few years ago that was piezo electric. i believe that it worked by vibrating a some metal element. perhaps, someone else has heard of it......
Jason_The_Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

How about a piezo-electric butterfly?

I'd be uncomfortable slapping a high voltage unit in a PC case; it's just asking for trouble.

Is there a specific requirement to this alternate method? i.e. quiet, low-power, etc...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 10:31 PM   #9
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
How about a piezo-electric butterfly?

I'd be uncomfortable slapping a high voltage unit in a PC case; it's just asking for trouble.

Is there a specific requirement to this alternate method? i.e. quiet, low-power, etc...
I assume quiet would be one of them otherwise there would be no point in not using fans. :shrug:
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2004, 09:38 AM   #10
Bingo142
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, definetly it has to be quiet. I own a dual Xeon PC and the noise is killing me slowly. I have customised the PC a little to reduce noise and the biggest source of noise is the power supply at the moment.
But, I was just hoping maybe there is better, efficient, way to move air in a PC.
Thanks for your replies.
Unread 12-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #11
Belenar
Cooling Neophyte

Get your hottest components (CPU,GPU) watercooled with an Eheim pump and some undervolted fans (like PAPST's) on the rad...
That should give you nice noise levels...

IF you really want to stick to air, try undervolting fans. You can make some fans allmost inaudible if you undervolt them.

@ the PSU: buy an extra quiet one (Passive, watercooled, variable speed fan) or try to mod your existing one by replacing the fans with extra quiet / undervolted ones.
Unread 12-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
Bingo142
Cooling Neophyte

I have allready invested in two Swiftech heatsinks, and I'm kinda pressed for funds at the moment. I think if I quiet the power supply I'll be OK. The CPU fans are speed adjustable, so I'll just have to find a compromise between noise and CPU temperature.